Any newer, better resolution headsets coming out?

Don
Nothing on the horizon yet. GPU grunt still isn't there really to drive 4k per eye.
As I've said before though, once you are in VR you don't notice it as the immersion is so good.

Associate
Nothing on the horizon yet. GPU grunt still isn't there really to drive 4k per eye.
As I've said before though, once you are in VR you don't notice it as the immersion is so good.

Though top end cards typically like the 1080. 1080ti people are looking to supersample around 1.5 so GPU`s are already good enough to output 50% extra resolution at 90fps. So what if someone came to the market offering 50% extra pixels, the cards wouls still be able to run them just as good, or is Supersampling less taxing than native pixels. I would have thought given the choice It would be better images with 50% extra pixels for the same grunt needed. forefitting some wizadry llike SS would be better.

Don
Yeah, they could go to 50% more pixels but then who's going to buy it? Only the people with the absolute bleeding edge of GPUs will be able to run it at 90fps. HTC and Oculus took a ton of flack when the headsets were announced because of the very steep GPU requirements of a 970 or better.
We're going to have a few years at the resolution were at before they push anything out again I think.

50% more isn't much either. Rift and Vive are 1060x1200 per eye which is 1.27mp. 1.9mp which is 50% more and that only pushes the resolution out to say 1360x1400 per eye. Not much of a difference at all. I think the next leap will be 4k per eye which will be 3840x2160 but with foveated rendering to cut down on the GPU horsepower needed. Still looking at a few years out though yet.

Soldato
The upcoming LG one has a higher pixel count.

Higher pixels may come once HMDs incorporate eye tracking paired with forevated rendering then GPU grunt will be less of an issue.

Associate
Yeah, they could go to 50% more pixels but then who's going to buy it? Only the people with the absolute bleeding edge of GPUs will be able to run it at 90fps. HTC and Oculus took a ton of flack when the headsets were announced because of the very steep GPU requirements of a 970 or better.
We're going to have a few years at the resolution were at before they push anything out again I think.

50% more isn't much either. Rift and Vive are 1060x1200 per eye which is 1.27mp. 1.9mp which is 50% more and that only pushes the resolution out to say 1360x1400 per eye. Not much of a difference at all. I think the next leap will be 4k per eye which will be 3840x2160 but with foveated rendering to cut down on the GPU horsepower needed. Still looking at a few years out though yet.

Yes I am inclined to agree, with you. I get the economics of it, Just very frustrating for those of us that do run high end and have to wait for something we are ready for. I`ld replace my oculus tomorrow if If there was a progression. Loving it still but VR has the bug with me and just want more good stuff.

Associate
Yes I am inclined to agree, with you. I get the economics of it, Just very frustrating for those of us that do run high end and have to wait for something we are ready for. I`ld replace my oculus tomorrow if If there was a progression. Loving it still but VR has the bug with me and just want more good stuff.

What graphics card do you run it on?

Soldato
More pixels wont cure the screen door effect tho,, it might make it worse.. The playstation headset uses a lower resolution and this makes the screen door effect go away. So are we going the wrong way with the resolution, should manufactures be using less pixels to eliminate the screen door effect that way?

Soldato
More pixels wont cure the screen door effect tho,, it might make it worse.. The playstation headset uses a lower resolution and this makes the screen door effect go away. So are we going the wrong way with the resolution, should manufactures be using less pixels to eliminate the screen door effect that way?

Possibly, I never got SDE with the DK2. However most games do need more pixels tbh, I'm happy waiting for the tech to get more polished.

Soldato
Possibly, I never got SDE with the DK2. However most games do need more pixels tbh, I'm happy waiting for the tech to get more polished.

How did you not get the SDE on the DK2? I have just bought the DK2 and its a bit like wearing tights over your head, small black dots.

Have you noticed the lenses are super sensitive to scratches on the dk2? I have only had the dk2 a week and the lenses are covered.. I am going to see if a glasses shop can make me some new lenses because they are only glued into those plastic cups, I will get some screen protectors while Im at it I think.

Last edited:
Soldato
How did you not get the SDE on the DK2? I have just bought the DK2 and its a bit like wearing tights over your head, small black dots.

Have you noticed the lenses are super sensitive to scratches on the dk2? I have only had the dk2 a week and the lenses are covered.. I am going to see if a glasses shop can make me some new lenses because they are only glued into those plastic cups, I will get some screen protectors while Im at it I think.

Nope, honestly going from DK2 the res is twice as good but I noticed the SDE and ghosting immediately. Res was the negative I had from the DK2

And yeah the lenses are a known issue, its been fixed for CV1 but even though I cleaned mine with the supplied cloth twice the DK2 ones are scratched, albeit not badly.

Associate

Indeed - DK2 SDE is easily more noticable than the CV1. You should have seen the DK1 though - pretty horrific. The thing is, going back to the DK1, I've seen people say they don't notice the SDE on every single headset since (honestly, some of the denial on r/oculus bordered on the ridiculous back in the DK days). CV1 is the first of the headsets where I can personally ignore it most of the time, but it's still easily visible if I look for it.

It's the same with PSVR. While admittedly it's much less visible (though you have a very visible mura effect on that headset), it's still there, and for me it's easily noticeable with largely red backgrounds - Thumper for instance.

Associate
That's probably more to do with the subpixel structure and fov than the resolution. The Rift and Vive use a pentile layout with a 110 degree fov (i.e. more magnified), PSVR is straight RGB at 100 degrees.

All they need to do is increase the pixel density of the screens to remove SDE. The rendering resolution can stay as it is (and scaled up) until GPUs catch up.

Associate
Maybe in a few years time, by then cars will be fully automatic too:))) got to the pub get drunk get dropped home by your car.

Back
Top Bottom