Poll: WenGo or WenStay?

Is Wenger's time up?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
It just seems like the typical end-of-season strong finish we get every year - typically enough to clinch a top four spot... but it looks like they've left it too late this time round unless someone above us collapses. As they were both talking about in the podcast the problems seem to run right from the top down so regardless of who the manager is, it doesn't change the fact you have people like Dick Law at the club. Need wholesale changes throughout the club whoever is on the touchline.

Soldato
OP
Is he still the man to take us forward? To be honest, I am not too sure his contract extension has been signed yet. He still looks like a man under pressure.

A change of formation and some new players in the summer..... really gonna make a difference? No Champions League is going to affect our pulling power. He hasn't been making hay whilst the sun was shinning that's the problem. We squandered what we had. People talk about the board needs to change, but to be fair in Wengers situation he is really quite autonomous all the recruitment of players is down to him. So the poor performance of the team and the players... is his fault. You can see how well coached Spurs are. Their recruitment of players has been better too... by simple fact they are playing better than us.

Wenger is a fault.

Losing to Spurs is nothing new. Any Arsenal over the last 5+ years would have lost away to Spurs. Nothing has changed.

I would like to see the board sack him on one condition, a top caliber manager agrees to take over. Other wise we keep him until such time.

All his media spin over the years....I think has finally come undone this season and the cumulative effect of his crap has finally caught up with us.

And Ozil..... is a waste of space at the moment.

Last edited:
Caporegime
We all know the board won't sack him, if it was any other club ie city or Chelsea he would have been out of a job a long time ago.

Yes Wenger is the problem but as the arseblog earlier posted said, the board are complicit in us not going anywhere for the past few yrs. Everything needs to change from top to bottom as far as I'm concerned but we all know nothing will change.

The strange thing is the spurs loss the other day did not one single bit infuriate me like it would have done in the past. TBH they are so far ahead of us at the moment, how we managed to pip them to second place last season truly boggles me.

Ozil needs to sold or put on the bench, rather we sold him as he's beyond useless. Sanchez I think will be gone come end of the season, think he realises that this team is going absolutely nowhere under Wenger and I don't blame him one single bit.

As for CL?? I hope we don't get 4th place this season. I just think for us it's a monumental waste of time and effort, when we don't get anywhere. Sure it means we miss out on a nice payout and possibly make it more difficult for us to attract top players. But maybe that's what needs to happen in order for wholesale changes to happen.

Caporegime
If we give Ozil a massive pay rise to stay, I'm genuinely done with Arsenal. He represents the exact player that is the problem with Arsenal. At Real his disappearances in big games was less noticeable, they had Ronaldo, they had Modric and others making the space that he needs even against the best teams but when he was bad(which was often, I mentioned this exact problem when we bought him) again it was less noticeable because they would still win more often than not.

With Arsenal there are too many similar players who fold under pressure, we lose all those games and so his poor performances simply stand out much more. He was like this with Real, he went missing for huge portions of the Germany games in the World Cup, he went missing in his first year with us, had a kind of decent second year though still went long spells in many games playing poorly but at least got an assist at some point, back to his usual this year.

Arsenal were a completely different team, with in effect a different manager up to 05/06... that manager honestly no longer exists and even if he did I still think he probably had major flaws that just weren't exposed. Can Wenger go from capable of building a great defence and solid leadership to inability to do both? Or is the more likely explanation that Adams/Keown were in effect teaching everyone around them as they trained and that Wenger wasn't really responsible for any of the grit, leadership or defensive solidarity that happened during that period. When the last of the players who trained day in day out with Adams and that group were gone, which would be I think Lauren/Sol, that is when Arsenal lost their ability to win the big games at all consistently. That is when we started getting 'soft'.

I always come back to it, managers are rarely complete, the mixture of decades of total training amongst the squad have an effect, the last manager has an effect, the existing players at the club have an effect and the new manager has an effect. The combination of 1-0 Arsenal, the defence that did that, the players who had that mentality and leadership and the attacking verve and attacking players Wenger brought in is what made Arsenal great, together as one whole piece.

Everything but Wenger and his attacking parts were gone post 05/06, and we've not only never been the same, we haven't changed since 06/07 or so, same mistakes, same weaknesses, same types of players being bought, same lack of improvement, same mentality issues.

Wenger has to go, the board give Wenger too much power and the fans backing Wenger so completely give the board too little reason to fire Wenger. Everyone is at fault, but when Chelsea, City or Utd fans kick up enough of a stink the manager's position becomes untenable and leaves for a new start and a new attempt to succeed.

Can anyone say that new managers at Real, Barca, City, Chelsea, Bayern... are failing to do well? Spurs now as well, Atletico? When a manager isn't doing the business they need to go. People again need reminding that of all the teams with an Arsenal level wage bill or higher, we are the biggest failures, the least competitive, getting the least far in europe and not competing for the league genuinely, getting 20 points off then ending up only 10 points at the end after a good run isn't competing for anything. Then you add in the teams with lower budgets who are also making it to CL finals and league wins, Atletico, Dortmund, Spurs becoming a power, Leicester. There are no excuses, no manager in europe is failing as badly as Wenger is.

Soldato
If we give Ozil a massive pay rise to stay, I'm genuinely done with Arsenal. He represents the exact player that is the problem with Arsenal. At Real his disappearances in big games was less noticeable, they had Ronaldo, they had Modric and others making the space that he needs even against the best teams but when he was bad(which was often, I mentioned this exact problem when we bought him) again it was less noticeable because they would still win more often than not.

With Arsenal there are too many similar players who fold under pressure, we lose all those games and so his poor performances simply stand out much more. He was like this with Real, he went missing for huge portions of the Germany games in the World Cup, he went missing in his first year with us, had a kind of decent second year though still went long spells in many games playing poorly but at least got an assist at some point, back to his usual this year.

Arsenal were a completely different team, with in effect a different manager up to 05/06... that manager honestly no longer exists and even if he did I still think he probably had major flaws that just weren't exposed. Can Wenger go from capable of building a great defence and solid leadership to inability to do both? Or is the more likely explanation that Adams/Keown were in effect teaching everyone around them as they trained and that Wenger wasn't really responsible for any of the grit, leadership or defensive solidarity that happened during that period. When the last of the players who trained day in day out with Adams and that group were gone, which would be I think Lauren/Sol, that is when Arsenal lost their ability to win the big games at all consistently. That is when we started getting 'soft'.

I always come back to it, managers are rarely complete, the mixture of decades of total training amongst the squad have an effect, the last manager has an effect, the existing players at the club have an effect and the new manager has an effect. The combination of 1-0 Arsenal, the defence that did that, the players who had that mentality and leadership and the attacking verve and attacking players Wenger brought in is what made Arsenal great, together as one whole piece.

Everything but Wenger and his attacking parts were gone post 05/06, and we've not only never been the same, we haven't changed since 06/07 or so, same mistakes, same weaknesses, same types of players being bought, same lack of improvement, same mentality issues.

Wenger has to go, the board give Wenger too much power and the fans backing Wenger so completely give the board too little reason to fire Wenger. Everyone is at fault, but when Chelsea, City or Utd fans kick up enough of a stink the manager's position becomes untenable and leaves for a new start and a new attempt to succeed.

Can anyone say that new managers at Real, Barca, City, Chelsea, Bayern... are failing to do well? Spurs now as well, Atletico? When a manager isn't doing the business they need to go. People again need reminding that of all the teams with an Arsenal level wage bill or higher, we are the biggest failures, the least competitive, getting the least far in europe and not competing for the league genuinely, getting 20 points off then ending up only 10 points at the end after a good run isn't competing for anything. Then you add in the teams with lower budgets who are also making it to CL finals and league wins, Atletico, Dortmund, Spurs becoming a power, Leicester. There are no excuses, no manager in europe is failing as badly as Wenger is.
well said

Soldato
Just because he loves the club doesn't mean he's the right man for the job (he might also love 8 million a year). It's become pretty clear to all that he doesn't know how to fix the problems and is losing the dressing room.

Don
I understand there's always going to be an overlap into other matters like the owner but lets try to keep this thread to discussing Wenger's future please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom