What's The Current Sweetspot For Speakers?

Caporegime
I'm looking for a new set of speakers though at the moment I'm not sure whether to go for either 2.0 or 2.1. I haven't got a set budget as such, but I generally like to buy something which offers good performance but also qualifies in the value for money department as well.

I don't know anything about DACs, in fact, I don't really know what they are or if one is even necessary for my needs. I should also add that I'm using onboard audio as well.

The speakers I currently have are very, very basic (Logitech s120 2.0), but as far as I'm concerned they do pump out a surprising amount of sound for the money. I only bought them as a spare several years ago and I've still been using them up until now. Perhaps the saving grace was that they're a good make?

So, what do you recommend?

TIA. :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The thing with external DACs is that they are further removed from potential sources of interference in a PC case (if properly designed) and also tend to be designed with better parts - integrated audio is often almost an afterthought with poor routing around sources of interference on the motherboard and often use the cheapest parts that they can get away with doing the job.

Unless you are a sucker for bass then spending the same amount on on a 2.1 system will probably have less overall quality than a similar priced 2.0 system but that isn't a hard and fast rule. Bit out of date on what is and isn't good though since I got my Edifier 1600s I've had no reason really to give that area another thought.

Associate
I have a pair of these running off my onboard sound and they are amazing, but they have an onboard DAC which I'm not currently using...they're running off the headphone socket on my motherboard...I'm coincidentally asking members here about that issue. The Soundstage on these speakers is truly better than I've ever heard...and I have a very hi-fi system in the living room. Treble and bass extension could be better, but I'm sure you'd be happy with them. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/edifier-r1280db-studio-bookshelf-speaker-sp-04d-er.html Oh. DAC means Digital to Analog Converter. It changes the 1's and 0's running around in your computer, or CD/DVD/BR into a DC current that can make the speaker cones move in and out, thereby vibrating the air that eventually gets into your ears, where the vibrations are converted into electrical signals that feed all kind of good (or bad...depends on the music) feelings in your brain. ;)

Soldato
The problem with 2.1 speakers is they tend to wash out the mid frequencies, this is simply because the satellite speakers that come with 2.1 systems don't normally cover the mid frequency range very well.

I would probably choose the Edifier R1280DB's that Glorimbex has recommended, or could be tempted by these R1800T III's as they have a lower frequency range, never listened them mind and only going off specs.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/edif...peakers-rms-70-watts-r1800tiii-sp-038-er.html

arc@css, does your motherboard have optical or S/PDIF digital sound output?

Caporegime
OP
The problem with 2.1 speakers is they tend to wash out the mid frequencies, this is simply because the satellite speakers that come with 2.1 systems don't normally cover the mid frequency range very well.

I would probably choose the Edifier R1280DB's that Glorimbex has recommended, or could be tempted by these R1800T III's as they have a lower frequency range, never listened them mind and only going off specs.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/edif...peakers-rms-70-watts-r1800tiii-sp-038-er.html

arc@css, does your motherboard have optical or S/PDIF digital sound output?

Cheers, I'll bear those models in mind.

Yes, the motherboard manual says 'support for S/PDIF Out'. The board is the Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3.

Edit: I just noticed the speakers I linked further up this page in the clearance section, but I was too slow; someone beat me to it. :D I couldn't resist going for them at £40, despite being B-grade.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Well, in the end, I did get hold of some B-grade Creative T20s, though I'm not sure how I feel about them just yet. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/crea...0-speaker-system-51mf1610aa003-sp-115-cl.html

The thing is I've never liked too much bass, and these have it in abundance. I've turned the bass control down to the lowest it will go and it's still too much. Otherwise, the sound is clearly better, as in crisper and more precise.

Probably too early to say right now, but I might send them back if I can't get used to the difference.

Soldato
You would probably be better off with some Edifiers then, they have a more natural sound, less quantity but decent quality bass, great mids and highs, very good value speakers. I have the older model of the R1600T which cost me £60 at the time but would like the newer version due to it having a front port rather than the rear ports on my pair.

Caporegime
OP
You would probably be better off with some Edifiers then, they have a more natural sound, less quantity but decent quality bass, great mids and highs, very good value speakers. I have the older model of the R1600T which cost me £60 at the time but would like the newer version due to it having a front port rather than the rear ports on my pair.

I'm looking more and more at the Edifier range at the moment. I would have probably gone for one of the above-mentioned models but due to the price and reviews I'd read on the Creative T20s, I thought it was worth purchasing a pair. I'm still not quite sure where I stand on them, but as I said earlier, it's probably way too early to make a call.

They sounded rather nice when playing some music earlier on, but I'll have to see (*shrugs*). Maybe part of the problem with transitioning over to something else relates to us humans intrinsically having a strange relationship with change. :)

Caporegime
OP
After having given the Creative T20s a bit more time before making a decision, I eventually decided that they needed to go. In some instances, I was genuinely pleased with them; music sounded noticeably better and you could most definitely hear things that I normally wouldn't be able to with my previous speakers, but every now and then, it would just sound too bassy/soft - almost muffled to my ears. I like a bit more clarity in my sound; I'm not one for loads of power where speakers are concerned. That said, at one point, I thought I was getting settled/used to the T20s, but after a few days, I realized that I was likely to have some regret in the back of my mind if I ending up keeping them. However, for those of you that like a bit more strength of bass in your sound, they offer incredible value and overall, IMO, are a very good product.

In the end, I found these in the clearance section: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/edifier-studio-r1600t-iii-2.0-60w-speakers-maple-sp-040-er.html

I may have gone for the 1800s as suggested, but they were out of stock.

Once I plugged the 1600s in, I could tell straight away that I was pleased with my choice. Thanks to all that have replied. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
The new 1600's (what you just purchased) should be very good as they have a frequency range of 30Hz to 20KHz. The old 1600T's that were very popular were a little short on the bottom end but they only went down to 52Hz. Also no complications with bluetooth just RCA in, so your money went where it mattered.

Also the new 1600's have front bass ports so you can get them closer to a wall if mounting over desk, old 1600T's were rear ported.

You have probably run your new speakers a while now, however those speakers will take about 20 hours of playing before they sound correct.

Well done for replacing the Creative speakers and getting these however :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom