Fuji X Series

Caporegime
So, I I have had the camera exactly 1 week now, with it I have a 23/2 WR, 35/2 WR and 56/1.2R.

X-Pro 1.

I start off with what I dislike about it, some of these may be in the settings but I haven't found a fix yet.

I cannot figure out how to stop the camera rotating a portrait photo 90 degrees on the photo preview. I rather see it fill the LCD so I can just tilt the camera 90 degrees so I can see the image full size. Zooming in and out takes a while, I prefer to press zoom and it goes in 1:1 pixel so I know it is sharp. 1/4000 is not high enough and unlike X-T1, it doesn't have electronic shutter. Lack of ISO dial at the top to quickly adjust it manually. If the EVF is as good as X-T1 it would be better and I don't think I would use the optical viewfinder, but as it is, the EVF is not quite there and the optical viewfinder is not accurate enough for pin point framing makes this camera dodgy for candids as it nudges slightly when you half press and then when you see the photo, it is slightly off to that. Only the EVF shows you true framing. It's also slow to write to card, even after 1 photo it takes about a second. Also using the EVF there is a momentary black out on the screen.

What I like, build quality, battery isn't THAT bad, I got a couple of spares and 2 batteries lasted me more than the whole weekend. The colour pallet is nice I guess, the files has good DR....but still early to tell at the moment as I am so used to Canon and my personal presets in LR are adjusted to Canon. I only used it mostly for landscapes so here are some.

I guess in modern day scenario, this camera has more flaws than pluses. It certainly has a charm and I can certainly use it as a travel camera but I would definitely replace this with the X-Pro 2 soon as that baby is under £500 used.

Although I did get some nice images from it...so it's a good camera.

dlgixkq.jpg

UQS3wbg.jpg

d8PZZBM.jpg

3cLMdIl.jpg

X-T1

I used this most of Saturday as the AF is much better, I like the WiFi, although still learning to get it connect 100% of the time, needs some fiddling on the phone sometimes. Colours are good but nothing astonishing, skin tones are accurate, and not too different to Canon, I like the electronic shutter, it allows me to shoot wide open at F/2 in bight midday light at 1/22000th of a second. I like the flip screen and use it much more than I thought I would. Face detection works well but eye detection set to auto doesn't work 100% and when it detects the eye, often it picks the "wrong" eye, the one further away.

I dislike the lack of feel on the 4 way directional buttons though, i have no idea what my thumb is pressing when I have the camera to my face. Also in bright daylight it was a little hard to see in the EVF, as good as the EVF is I found myself using my left hand to cover the top of my head to block more sun, and I have the large eyecup installed.

p.s. if I put X-Pro 1 memory card into X-T1, the camera display the photo on the LCD but through the app it can't see the photo...weird.

dDuUukK.jpg

7k5mTpA.jpg

Soldato
Would like to know your X-T1 JPEG settings Raymond, unless you are shooting everything in RAW?

I will often use:
Sharpness +1
Colour +1
Noise -2

I mess about with the highlight and shadow settings but normally they end up back at 0.

I often shoot film simulation bracket with Velvia, Astia, B&W red filter. I hate post processing and this gives me three versions of a shot on the fly and I save the best when reviewing later.

Having the on screen thirds grid and spirit level means I hardly have to do any cropping and straightening these days either.

It's great getting the shot straight out of the camera as you want it, this is the big pull of the camera for me.

Caporegime
Would like to know your X-T1 JPEG settings Raymond, unless you are shooting everything in RAW?

I will often use:
Sharpness +1
Colour +1
Noise -2

I mess about with the highlight and shadow settings but normally they end up back at 0.

I often shoot film simulation bracket with Velvia, Astia, B&W red filter. I hate post processing and this gives me three versions of a shot on the fly and I save the best when reviewing later.

Having the on screen thirds grid and spirit level means I hardly have to do any cropping and straightening these days either.

It's great getting the shot straight out of the camera as you want it, this is the big pull of the camera for me.

I still shoot RAW, but I do have it also to shoot Jpeg with default Chrome setting. The reason being if I am on holiday and want to wifi it to my phone to post a photo to social media I can do. That’s it really, any other photo I would export it to LR to process. I post very few photos taken from my phone camera actually.

I can be very particular about certain shots and the extra few minutes to process or wait, so be it.

Soldato
Anybody noticed any real-world changes/improvements from upgrading to firmware version 2 on the XT2? I've not had the chance to get out since updating last night and won't be able to do any shooting until the weekend.

Soldato
Well it's almost all functional / usability stuff. I've changed auto iso to be based on focal length, which is better (even though I was happily shooting at 1/60 handheld @ 200mm with IS before...). Also makes it quicker for me to realise when I've forgotten to change the mount adapter focal length setting.

Long exposure up to 15 mins in camera means I'm not carrying around a shutter release just in case (although a couple more options for times would have been nice, IIRC it's mostly whole stops i.e. 1 min 2 min 4 min 8 min 15 min ). Also you can lock the shutter adjustment command dial so you don't knock it a 1/3 stop by accident, but then you cant adjust the shutter speed on T mode...

I also disabled shoot without card because I could see myself doing that...

Last edited:

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
I still shoot RAW, but I do have it also to shoot Jpeg with default Chrome setting. The reason being if I am on holiday and want to wifi it to my phone to post a photo to social media I can do. That’s it really, any other photo I would export it to LR to process. I post very few photos taken from my phone camera actually.

I can be very particular about certain shots and the extra few minutes to process or wait, so be it.

Could you upload one of your shots that you've processed in LR and also straight out the camera, would be interesting to see... well for me anyway :p

Caporegime
Nice, I think it's my favourite Fuji lens.

I know the AF is not as fast as the WR, I know the results is hard to tell if I look at them independently...but I can't put my finger on it, the 1.4 R is just nicer to hold in the hand, it's size balance the camera better and in a way it reminds me how the 85L focuses, sure it does take longer but when it focuses, it really focuses.

p.s. it has that 3D pop that not many lenses have.

utdicks.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom