RIFT DK2 - Worth it now?

Soldato
so bar the games that require the controllers these work ok? can you add a controller?
Im tempted on this as a cheap way to see if the kids would like it.

Yes they work fine. I just used my Xbox 360 PC wireless controller. Steam tell you which games require the touch controller but there are many many many games that dont.
It might not be a good idea to let your kids try it. Mine only used it with Google Earth and they wouldn't let me have it back ! Goodness knows what they would have been like after playing a game! :)
They had a right strop on when I sold it.

Depending on your Steam game collection you might find you already have DK2 VR compatible games in it.

Soldato
So google earth will work with the xbox 360 controller, as I would like to try that accept it says touch controllers, so it kind of puts me off trying it?

Associate
It might not be a good idea to let your kids try it. Mine only used it with Google Earth and they wouldn't let me have it back ! Goodness knows what they would have been like after playing a game! :)
They had a right strop on when I sold it.

Depending on your Steam game collection you might find you already have DK2 VR compatible games in it.
to be honest Im tempted by it as I think the boys would enjoy it
I just wasn't into the idea of dropping close to £500 on it where as if I can get the DK2 for around the £100 to £130 mark and it can do near on the same thing I would be happier.
plus gives me a reason to upgrade my graphics card as my lad will get my 970 as then his system will run it.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
My DK2 came yesterday. Brand new. Bargain. This is the price they should be. Judging by the drop in posts in this forum VR is pretty much dead on OCUK or people are too busy in their VR world to post.
Downloading a few free games yesterday and purchased a few mentioned on the VR games thread. Also managed to get latest version of Battle of Endor so when I have some time will give this a whirl. Already got Elite bought it ages ago but didnt get on with it so interesting to try that again.

Not even tempted by it at this price tbh. Still no killer app to play.

From what I can see apart from a handful of people who are really into it, the rest the headsets are gathering dust.

Associate
Not even tempted by it at this price tbh. Still no killer app to play.

From what I can see apart from a handful of people who are really into it, the rest the headsets are gathering dust.
yea to be honest I don't know if I would be into it that much..
might be a novelty to start with and a great party trick but think the kids would get more out of it than us to be honest.

Associate
Defo a niche market currently. It's the same as some people don't like certain types of games.
I'm in that niche market though, so would thoroughly recommend anyone to give it a try for as little expense as possible.

Maybe when it's more common place and inexpensive people can try it more easily, or be happy buying it and not using it all the time.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Defo a niche market currently. It's the same as some people don't like certain types of games.
I'm in that niche market though, so would thoroughly recommend anyone to give it a try for as little expense as possible.

Maybe when it's more common place and inexpensive people can try it more easily, or be happy buying it and not using it all the time.
Yeah. But also just as important is having must play games making use of VR. They will help shift units too. If there was something I really wanted to play and experience in VR I would have one by now, even at the silly prices they are at. But as there is not, so I am happy to wait for the next gen stuff which will be better and might even be cheaper (if they want to sell more anyway).

Soldato
So google earth will work with the xbox 360 controller, as I would like to try that accept it says touch controllers, so it kind of puts me off trying it?

yeah works with Xbox Controller. Also you have to google the Rift hack/workaround to get it working as its meant for the Vivee only.

to be honest Im tempted by it as I think the boys would enjoy it
I just wasn't into the idea of dropping close to £500 on it where as if I can get the DK2 for around the £100 to £130 mark and it can do near on the same thing I would be happier.
plus gives me a reason to upgrade my graphics card as my lad will get my 970 as then his system will run it.

Oh I forgot to mention my oldest also played Star Wars Battle of Endor and it was this also I could not get him off. He had a strop. Thing is £100 is not bad to try tech in the £500 region and if its not for you it can be sold for more or less than the same amount and its cost you nothing to dip your toes in.

With games there is a lot of dross and it just depends what you like. If you are into space games or racing games then it will benefit you. I tried Dirt Rally and it was pretty cool as though you were actually in the car when you looked around but sadly it was too bad for my eyes to cope with.

Its not just a niche market interesting is waning badly you just have to look at how many are selling 2nd hand and also the amount of posts on this forum its dying. It is going the way of 3d interest wise despite what the optimists said before although difference will be I can see it simmer instead of disappear altogether and will possible come back with new tech. Just makes me wonder how long as I know Facebook (Rift) are losing money on VR hand over fist.

Associate
yeah works with Xbox Controller. Also you have to google the Rift hack/workaround to get it working as its meant for the Vivee only.

Oh I forgot to mention my oldest also played Star Wars Battle of Endor and it was this also I could not get him off. He had a strop. Thing is £100 is not bad to try tech in the £500 region and if its not for you it can be sold for more or less than the same amount and its cost you nothing to dip your toes in.

With games there is a lot of dross and it just depends what you like. If you are into space games or racing games then it will benefit you. I tried Dirt Rally and it was pretty cool as though you were actually in the car when you looked around but sadly it was too bad for my eyes to cope with.

Its not just a niche market interesting is waning badly you just have to look at how many are selling 2nd hand and also the amount of posts on this forum its dying. It is going the way of 3d interest wise despite what the optimists said before although difference will be I can see it simmer instead of disappear altogether and will possible come back with new tech. Just makes me wonder how long as I know Facebook (Rift) are losing money on VR hand over fist.

Picked up Google Earth Free on Oculus Store so I don't think workaround is required any more. It played the demo stuff ok but I didn't get into it as I don't have Touch. Will try with the joypad tonight.

To be fair if it's try before you buy on a DK2 at £100 it's the same with CV1 with a higher outlay. I picked up a 6 week old Rift CV1 for £350 off Gumtree, I love it and will keep it (sim racing geek), but I'm sure I could get that back if I tried to resell. Outside of cockpit based games there is very little that excites for such a large outlay. Game developers need to pull their fingers out and come up with something to showcase the tech properly, it feels like previous technically superior games consoles, they die out without good games/content, no matter how good they are.

Soldato
I am trying google earth through steam with the hack, because that hasn't been updated since November and google earth in Oculus home has just been updated, so the steam version might work with the xbox controler, cross fingers.

But yeah reading up on the leap motion, it does work on some touch controller only apps and games but not meny,,, so I guess if I can get one cheap, it might be worth it, but not at retail price.

Soldato
I have just bought the leap motion for £50. So once I have tried it out for a few days, I'll tell you if its worth buying to use with the vr headsets.. At the moment I am printing out this and hopefully I wont need to stick anything on to the front of the dk2..........

2cse0zs.jpg
14bq0lu.jpg

Back
Top Bottom