Dangerous Temperatures?

Associate
So I have an i7-6700 and a GTX1060 6gb and since ive started playing Player Unknowns Battlegrounds they have both been reaching temperatures of 88c(190f) should I be worrying? My pc is only 6 months old.

Thanks in advance

Soldato
So I have an i7-6700 and a GTX1060 6gb and since ive started playing Player Unknowns Battlegrounds they have both been reaching temperatures of 88c(190f) should I be worrying? My pc is only 6 months old.

Thanks in advance

seems a little high to me, i don't get anywhere near that running the game at Ultra, i use a Corsair H105 AIO and my CPU is overclocked to 4.5ghz.

Untitled.png

Soldato
What's the spec - case included?

Is the CPU/gpu clocked?

Those temps are toasty and we're not in summer yet. They're not dangerously high but things could get uncomfortably warm in the next couple of months.

Better case ventilation, bigger heatsink or a reseating may lower your temps significantly...

Associate
OP
I have not overclocked either of them, the 6700 is the non k version anyway. It is only in a mini case unfortunately so I think there lies my problem.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forc...1;_/pRd--+Hhd1;~YHhe1;_5Hhf1!50Iip1+9'JNd1'/v

I may have room to fit a better heatsink in for the cpu but the gpu is sitting about 2cm from the side of the case. I am kind of a noob when it comes to PC customisation but could I perhaps fit an external fan to side panel of my case to help cool the gpu?

Soldato
That is compact - unfortunately i'm not familiar with the case.

So the gfx card faces a grill and pulls clear air from outside of the case?

I can see the intake fan; is there an outtake fan anywhere - or could one be fitted?

Also, if the case fan is fitted into the motherboard - do you have it running at a percentage of its RPM? Worth checking it's not spinning too slowly.

Associate
OP
I will look into all of those things Plec, unfortunately there is no space inside the case to fit any fans whatsoever. There is no fan operating on the right hand side of the case though, on the opposite side to the GPU. I will open it up and have a closer look inside later. It was a prebuilt system from overclockers. However putting new paste on the cpu will only solve half the issue but I will do that anyway. I am using a Reference edition 1060 unfortunately so the cooling on it is not great. It only has 1 fan which is to the front left of the side panel. If i feel the back left side of the case i can actually feel the heat so perhaps an outtake fan there would help cool the gfx card down?

Also how do I check what % the case fan is running at? Will that be in the bios settings I am guessing?

Soldato
I am using a Reference edition 1060 unfortunately so the cooling on it is not great.

Actually, you couldn't be more wrong: in that sort of case a reference cooler is better than the double fan cooler displayed in the picture as the reference cooler exhausts the hot air out of the rear of the case rather than recirculate it inside the case. What you should do is physically check that the fan is still working. The fan on my first Titan X failed.

Associate
OP
Asus Z170 Chipset Motherboard is the mobo, i can go into the bios settings and have a look around. They are so advanced compared to the old blue screen i was used to from my old pc.

Yes quartz the fan is working fine. Thanks for dropping the fact your gpu is worth more than my entire pc haha. I think it is just very crowded in there with not much ventilation. Perhaps I will look into getting a bigger case where I can add a few more fans.

Soldato
you need to go into 'Advanced Mode' and then to Q-Fan configuration.

If your Chassis fan is not connected the selection will say N/A - if it is connected pick the optimum speed setting.

The CPU will have settings you can play with too - you may want to look at these just to be sure it's not set on silent. If it is set to standard/auto.

You could select a more aggressive option - but it will increase your idle noise levels if you take it off standard (turbo for example). I would leave on auto as it will crank up to turbo speeds when it gets hot.

I would play with your chassis fan for now and look at getting a bigger M-ATX case which you can fit an intake and an outtake fan in.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for your help Plec. I Turned both of my fan settings to turbo. It only boosts them an 10c earlier which could be what its needing. I will continue to monitor my temperatures and go from there. Again thank you everyone for your help.

Back
Top Bottom