Spiced Rum Recommendation

Soldato
Another vote for Rumbullion. First time I had in it (in the Spaniard,a rum bar, in Belfast) it was served hot and with a slice of orange peel. Works really well, the heat really opens up the flavour. When I drink it at home I tend to just have it straight though. It's not really a mixing spirit, but hey if that's what you like crack on!

Associate
Spiced rum lends itself well to drinking neat or a dash of coke. Can do a nice twist on a dark and stormy with spiced rum and ginger too.

If I'm somewhere with a well stocked bar (or in the house!) I tend to go for double Spiced rum, about the same of lemonade (50 ml), a couple of ice cubes, slice of lime and a dash of bitters.

Honestly give it a try, really balances the flavours of the rum out without overpowering any of them, one warning though - it's very easy to drink :D

Associate
I also bought a bottle of captain Morgans black spiced (i had not seen this before only black OR spiced not both in one) Its very nice indeed for anyone who hasn't tried it

Oww have to try that one! Looks tasty :) I wonder why they don't distribute that one more in the UK, seems to be a market for it.

Man of Honour
Lots of non-spiced rums in a spiced rum thread

Plantation 20th, Diplomatico, Havana Club 7 and Mount Gay are all good rums, but none of them are specifically spiced rums (most rums have some degree of spice, but if you're looking for a viable Kraken alternative, stick with a rum that is specifically branded as "Spiced")

Soldato
Might not be to everyone's tastes but I love Green Island Spiced Gold rum. It's from Mauritius and I find it very drinkable neat or mixed.

My only problem is that the bottles I brought back last time that cost me about £7 each are about to run out and the cheapest I can find it to buy online is close to £30 for 70cl! Worth a try though if you like subtle spiced rums (I like Kraken for example but it's very sweet and sugary compared to this).

Associate
Might not be to everyone's tastes but I love Green Island Spiced Gold rum. It's from Mauritius and I find it very drinkable neat or mixed.

My only problem is that the bottles I brought back last time that cost me about £7 each are about to run out and the cheapest I can find it to buy online is close to £30 for 70cl! Worth a try though if you like subtle spiced rums (I like Kraken for example but it's very sweet and sugary compared to this).

Green Island isn't too dissimilar to cockspur spiced gold which is cheap enough over here, much more so than Kraken anyway. It's got a nice subtle spiced flavour that can be easily over powered with too much coke, and it's got one of the lightest rummy aftertastes too.

Soldato
I usually stick to mt gay or appleton estate for value for money rum.

No fancy bottle or marketing but plenty of top reviews and awards

Associate
There's been lots of non-spiced rum suggestions thus far, so I'm going to continue the trend.

The absolute best value rum you can buy is Angostura 1919. There are better rums, and there are cheaper rums. There is no better rum which fills both categories imo. It's not 'spiced', and you should receive a firm smacking if you mix it...

That said, it naturally has strong vanilla and clove/cinnamon flavours, so it should fill your criteria. Don't mix it; I will be upset.

Soldato
I've always favoured Rumbullion or Kraken for my rum treats. Though I've always been puzzled by peoples reactions when they see me drinking it neat rather than diluted. Is this so weird? I prefer to always taste the flavours rather than dilute it and mellow down the product.

Back
Top Bottom