Replacing the Master socket

Soldato
Hey guys,

I know it's easy, just an "A and B" wire to switch over, but is it going to cause any issue? Is an alarm bell going to go off a BT HQ :p

A friend has got a fairly old master socket (unfiltered, microfilters everywhere!) in the place he's just bought and he's gone and got a genuine BT mk4 filtered box of the Bay as they wanted silly money for an engineer call out. He isn't getting his broadband from them anyway. He just wants to know if it's going to cause any issues (with BT really) if he fits it himself. I know your not meant to - something about the line beyond the master socket being the demarcation point and not your property etc.

Thanks.

Soldato
OP
Right, tried to fit one of these tonight...

VDSLMK4_NTE5_CMK2_FRONT.jpg

VDSLMK4_NTE5_CMK2_REAR.jpg

^^ the A/B wires (connected to the housing in the top right of the pic) above gave me a line okay but I couldn't get the internal wiring to work. See below.

NTE5_Cfrontremoved.jpg

^^ I connected the 2/5 wires to the blue block. Mines clear but that isn't the issue. Anyway, I had no internal lines in the house.

I'm just wondering if I should have put the A/B wires straight into the A/B slots on the removable filtered plate. See below.

VDSLMK4_NTE5_CMK2extensions.jpg

Have I answered my own problem :p

Soldato
BT's wires will connect to the fixed part of the socket i.e. the piece you shouldn't (under ideal circumstances) be messing with.

AFAIK The part you're highlighting is for internal unfiltered extension wiring.

The Blue connector on the front is for filtered extension wiring.

I'm sure a quick Google would find wiring instructions.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom