[Pics] Two weeks in Cuba

Soldato
In February the girlfriend and I did 'La Isla Grande' tour around Cuba. Two weeks, or 15 days to be precise. We toured the whole country, as much as you could physically squeeze into that amount of time. Although there were a lot of long drives (7hrs on a few days!) it was well worth it to see the *real* Cuba. We'd wanted to go for a number of years and with everything that Obama did to improve relations (that Trump is now ruining :rolleyes: ), we wanted to get there before a Starbucks started popping up on every corner. It wasn't always a "holiday" as such, with the Cuban hospitality a bit lacking sometimes but it was a tremendous experience and I'd highly recommend anyone going -- but making sure to get out of the resorts and see the country :) The highlight has to be the trek to Castros hideout in the mountains, followed by an enormous spitroast pig in a local farm afterwards.

I managed about 250 keepers so here's a few. The rest can be seen on my flickr. If you want to know where any of them were taken just shout. I've been a bit lazy adding descriptions to the flickr uploads, already done that for FB and Google Photos :o

Oh, I almost forgot. I bought my Fuji XT10 about a month before we went. All taken on my 35/f2 or the 14/f2.8 I rented.

DSCF0460
by Scam, on Flickr

DSCF0498
by Scam, on Flickr

DSCF0512
by Scam, on Flickr

DSCF0537
by Scam, on Flickr

DSCF0553
by Scam, on Flickr

DSCF0586
by Scam, on Flickr

DSCF0590
by Scam, on Flickr

DSCF0603
by Scam, on Flickr

DSCF0620
by Scam, on Flickr

DSCF0661
by Scam, on Flickr

DSCF0749
by Scam, on Flickr
(really tempted to airbrush the guy on the right out of this!)

DSCF0774
by Scam, on Flickr

DSCF0781
by Scam, on Flickr

DSCF0829
by Scam, on Flickr

DSCF0888
by Scam, on Flickr

DSCF0931_HDR
by Scam, on Flickr

DSCF1007
by Scam, on Flickr

DSCF1027
by Scam, on Flickr
(A ration store)

DSCF1035
by Scam, on Flickr

DSCF1103
by Scam, on Flickr

DSCF1080
by Scam, on Flickr

DSCF1087
by Scam, on Flickr

DSCF1036
by Scam, on Flickr

DSCF1165
by Scam, on Flickr
(Bad pic but at the Bay of Pigs, this reads something along the lines of "this is the site of the first major military defeat of American imperialism" :p)

DSCF1166
by Scam, on Flickr

DSCF1172
by Scam, on Flickr
(The Capitolio building is actually a replica of the USA's Capitol building)

DSCF1173
by Scam, on Flickr

DSCF1202
by Scam, on Flickr

DSCF1252
by Scam, on Flickr
(I like this shot for some reason.. ?)

DSCF1296
by Scam, on Flickr

DSCF1326
by Scam, on Flickr

DSCF1336
by Scam, on Flickr

DSCF1486
by Scam, on Flickr
(The world-famous La Bodeguita del Medio, where Hemingway frequented. It was tiny! This pic was taken over the heads of people just to get it)

Thanks for looking :)

Last edited:
Associate
wonderful photos, so many places i recognize. Girlfriend and i were there in 2015 but only did the top half and a few of the island. One of the best trip we have ever taken.

you have captured a great sample :D

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
Very nice! How much PP did you put in to them? I'm very much still learning and interested in other peoples workflows and presets etc

Soldato
OP
Depends on the shot. a lot were shot with a polariser and velvia simulation so they didn't really need much apart from maybe straightening and cropping (the white balance is generally pretty damn good). So the landscapes/jungle are pretty much straight out of the camera. Some I worked on a lot, such as the guys playing dominoes, they were very much in shadow so I brought them out a lot and cropped in quite a bit (I shot that with the 14mm and didn't dare stand too close as they were shouting and hollering and slamming down the dominoes :p).

The musicians were also standing in the shade (as you would when it's 30c) so getting the white balance right was hard, fair bit of pp on that set. All done in Lightroom, I gave up using Photoshop a long time ago :)

Really depends what you consider "a lot" of pp. I don't use any presets apart from maybe capture sharpening. My workflow in LR is import, crop, white balance, contrast, brighten/darken areas of interest* and maybe vignette etc. Some would consider that too much pp but for me that's just part of my photography.

*Maybe I do this more than most, it's probably present on most shots but my background in film telecine/grading comes into play. If you think this isn't done on any TV/movies you watch then you're mistaken!

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
Thanks for taking the time to reply Scam, which polariser do you use? I've been looking at getting a Breakthrough X4 CPL

Soldato
OP
Thanks for taking the time to reply Scam, which polariser do you use? I've been looking at getting a Breakthrough X4 CPL
I opted for a Marumi DHG cpl, seems to offer good combo of quality and price. I did read a lot of research but it was really a gut choice over anything. There's tons of threads and a lot of reviews kicking around for all the top brands.

Soldato
OP
Hey man thanks for the kind words. I did see the set. Strange choice of exposures to be honest, not sure why half of them are so dark and concentrating on shadow in such a bright and colourful country. But hey each to their own :)

Back
Top Bottom