Horizon: Zero Dawn [PS4]

Soldato
Last corrupted zone I attempted was just south of Sunfall

It was 2 Behemoths and a ruck of flathead thingies in quite a confined space in like a canyon. Made about 10 attempts before I gave up and pegged it to come back to after I had levelled up.

V F

V F

Soldato
Oh that was fun! Put down a lot of trip wires to the hilly cavern entrances and watched the fireworks. Boom boom boom, sparks and parts flying everywhere. They're evil things though. Especially more than 3 normal ones.

Soldato
Last corrupted zone I attempted was just south of Sunfall

It was 2 Behemoths and a ruck of flathead thingies in quite a confined space in like a canyon. Made about 10 attempts before I gave up and pegged it to come back to after I had levelled up.

I did the corrupted zones sometime ago so my memory might be wrong but is this the one in the west / north-west of the map with all the spikey rocks around with a Banuk figure to collect up there too? If so, I found an easy way to complete it (spoiler in case you don't want to know)
There is a spot where there is a gap in the rock 'wall' around the corrupted zone - from memory its around the south of the corrupted zone. The rock 'wall' has a gap in it with a spike of rock in the middle of it. This mean you can fire through the gaps but the Behemoths can't hit you through them. You might need a long range bow to get their attention but once they try to charge you they are easy to hit with your fire arrows.

Soldato
Did the first cauldron this evening. That was epic!

Playing on hard definitely feels rewarding, it got very intense in there but didn't need a second attempt to finish it.

Soldato
I played on very hard due to being scared that I couldn't platinum the game, but after completing it I'm pretty sure that the difficulty is not taken into consideration in terms of trophies :D

The problem for me would be that very hard is likely to make the game an even more massive time sink than it already is. Need a good compromise. It'd appear you're right.. ;)

I wish there was a camera flip/about turn thingy because I struggle to get my orientation sometimes while running in battle and panning camera. Slide with slow down and turning works provided there are no obstacles. Failing that an FoV control would help.

There needs to be a default run/walk toggle as well IMO as pushing the stick is clunky. An I missing where the toggle shoulder control is, too? :)

Last edited:

V F

V F

Soldato
I played on very hard due to being scared that I couldn't platinum the game, but after completing it I'm pretty sure that the difficulty is not taken into consideration in terms of trophies :D

Yeah, things are just harder to kill. Oh and the disc launchers on very hard you only get 8 versus 11...

The problem for me would be that very hard is likely to make the game an even more massive time sink than it already is. Need a good compromise. It'd appear you're right.. ;)

I wish there was a camera flip/about turn thingy because I struggle to get my orientation sometimes while running in battle and panning camera. Slide with slow down and turning works provided there are no obstacles. Failing that an FoV control would help.

There needs to be a default run/walk toggle as well IMO as pushing the stick is clunky. An I missing where the toggle shoulder control is, too? :)

That was why I chose very hard from the get go. I spent 5 minutes on release day thinking about it then why not. Loved the 145 hours I got out of it mostly every night. Still wished it was longer.

Depending in how much you were levelled up, what level were you?Yyour first cauldron may have been frustrating. Sigma?

When you're overriding always move the right stick to make sure nothing is coming.

Soldato
Loved the 145 hours I got out of it mostly every night. Still wished it was longer.

I've got a backlog of games I need to get through so don't want to be spending 200+ hours on it in all honesty. I'm aiming to platinum it.

Depending in how much you were levelled up, what level were you? Your first cauldron may have been frustrating. Sigma?

Level 15 on the first Cauldron (Sigma). I found it not too bad, the only thing that killed me was falling while running back to cover. I was going to do it earlier but ended up doing other side-quests. Seems tricky for level 8 as suggested?

First attempt success at the end part - I scoped it out and got suspicious. Set traps everywhere and all but one of them got triggered. That was a very satisfying fight. I'd managed to find an enhancement beforehand that probably made it MUCH easier than it should have been. :D

When you're overriding always move the right stick to make sure nothing is coming.

Ahhh good tip, thanks. Is anyone else using the slow-down in jump much? I just don't seem to have seen many opportunities for it to be useful as I'm not a gung-ho type. Slide concentration is great though.

Glad I got the Kontrol Freaks, makes aiming in this game much easier.

V F

V F

Soldato
Level 15 on the first Cauldron (Sigma). I found it not too bad, the only thing that killed me was falling while running back to cover. I was going to do it earlier but ended up doing other side-quests. Seems tricky for level 8 as suggested?

First attempt success at the end part - I scoped it out and got suspicious. Set traps everywhere and all but one of them got triggered. That was a very satisfying fight. I'd managed to find an enhancement beforehand that probably made it MUCH easier than it should have been. :D

I cannot remember what I was if it was 13 or 18. I do know I had crappy weapons when I was in there and green coils. Worst of all, I didn't know what to expect in Sigma as I hadn't killed a Fire Bellowback yet.

Nor did I have the huge leap roll so that thing always managed to run me down or swipe me with its face. Hated it even more how it charged for you then it predicted with its swipes.

Ahhh good tip, thanks. Is anyone else using the slow-down in jump much? I just don't seem to have seen many opportunities for it to be useful as I'm not a gung-ho type. Slide concentration is great though.

Glad I got the Kontrol Freaks, makes aiming in this game much easier.

Even if you have to look with your left hand for smoother control since you cannot move anyway but at the same time vulnerable. Quite a challenge getting close to a Thunderjaw without being seen to override while another is just across from it.

Soldato
I cannot remember what I was if it was 13 or 18. I do know I had crappy weapons when I was in there and green coils. Worst of all, I didn't know what to expect in Sigma<snip>

Nor did I have the huge leap roll<snip>

Only just got the long roll myself after leveling up out of Sigma. It would have helped a lot. I found a 23% (I think) resist weave which meant I took a lot less damage than I should have. Bit annoyed to have that stuck there now though so need to get tinker ASAP. I think this game is definitely one to take time with getting gear and skills rather than rushing into questlines. :o

Strangely I only just got a Ropecaster and don't like it to be honest, it just feels cheap. Also looks like crap visually - they should have gone for a deployable net or something although I can guess that would be hard to make look good.

I'm rocking Hunter Bow, Carja Sharpshot Bow, Carja Tripcaster and Carja Sling in my loadout at the moment and that's dealt with everything so far. If I sense a group might be trouble, I'll try to snipe from a funnel point and trap the approach to me in case I'm spotted. Sometimes if you've sufficiently weakened a group, it's satisfying to let them spot you and watch the fireworks as they come at your last location. :D

Lastly, LOVE the chaos you can cause with groups of grazers and fire arrows. I almost feel sorry for the poor things. :)

Soldato
The one with the 2 rock spitters is the most difficult IMO. Absolutely did my head in trying to kill them.

Fortunately I managed to cheat on those two. I was fighting some unrelated machine across the river from them and they came over and attacked. Fortunately they could not come fully over the river and I used some terrain and rock formations to shield myself from them. Damn near ran out of supplies to kill them but I did it in the end. I find it is a good tactic with rock spitters in general - get to high ground and fight them from the edges of their patrol area. I did a similar thing on the side quest in the quarry.

Soldato
My HZD is broken. Game running in background but I just get guerilla icon on black screen :(

Edit - now fixed. Only taken a ps4 restart and several game restarts to fix.

No clue what that was about.

Soldato
Never knew Sawtooths could come through doorways. Clever AI.

Yeah that was the undoing of two of them in my game not long ago... set a bunch of explosive tripwires and BOOM when they came through... :D

That first big beast looked like there was a cavity you could possibly throw a bomb into or was I looking at it wrong?

Back
Top Bottom