**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ Thread ****

Associate
mhhhn, so I flashed BTU from Samfirmware 'G950FXXU1AQDD' via odin but for some reason the phone is still showing as xeu. I got prompted for an updated to which took me to G950FXXU1AQDG but still on XEU, anyone know why this is? Bought from carphone warehouse.

Soldato
One thing I'm slightly annoyed about, mine has a tiny mark on the metal edge. Now it really is small, but bugs me now I know it is there. It was definitely there out of the box.

Where do I stand with this? Should I get it swapped out or just suck it up? I feel a 700 quid phone should be perfect.

They may say I did It, then it's my word against theirs :(

Soldato
Had a 20 min play with my S8+ earlier, haven't made my mind up on it yet. I've not put my sim in or set it up properly yet but will do later this evening or tomorrow. Didnt notice any red tint on the screen.

Fingerprint was taking several attempts to register just to unlock the damn thing, I had to keep turning the phone around to see where I was pressing. For the brief moment I used it, very annoying I have to say. Just totally underwhelmed by at it atm coming from an s7e.

Fingerprint scanner instant for me with both index fingers.

Soldato
Weird, it doesn't make any difference if I wear glasses or not, mine unlocks quickly whatever
I can count on one hand the number of times it has worked for me rather than blinking that daft red light at me for ages and then asking for a PIN

Associate
So after a few hours with the S8+ I had a few questions:

1. It came out the box with 51% battery so let it run all way down and am now charging it from the usb port on my TV. Reason being is I don't trust the fast charger supplied, my partner and step son both have and an S6 and S7 and their batteries are screwed due to using the fast charger. Should I just use it and let the battery run all way down then charge?
  2. I have used my PAC code from O2 to move to EE and have gone through the online process, how long should it take for my number to port over?
  3. I have moved from an iPhone 6+ and looking at the screen it is lovely when playing video but I do think it has red tint problems. If i angle it away from me the redness is more noticeable. What have others done about this?..... if I am passing a mobile shop today I am going to go in and ask. Might need to send it back, came from MPD.
  4. I don't notice any difference between the standard out the box setting the the top screen setting, should I?
  5. I had to increase the size of the keyboard as was making constant mistakes with my thumb typing.
  6. How do I switch the back button to the other side?
  7. How do I enable wifi calling on EE?
I do love the phone and the screen, feels very slick and the Android OS has come leaps and bounds since I last used it on a HTC One. Think I'll give the iPhone to the Mrs and keep it :)

Soldato
No problems here with either fingerprint or iris scanner. Both are lightning quick although the inital setup for fingerprint was a bit trial and error as I'm used to swiping.

Runs a lot better than the note 4 and I don't seem to notice much screen difference. The s8 screen does look a bit better, although this could be the video enhancer thing that I don't think was in the note.

I don't think it has any red tint, well, not unless I'm extremely picky and look at it from from further away at a steep 30 degree angle then a slight discoloration appears on part of the screen but I would say all screens have that - I really hope that this is not what people are complaining about.

The sound via earphones is slightly better than on my note as well I would say.

Soldato
It came out the box with 51% battery so let it run all way down and am now charging it from the usb port on my TV. Reason being is I don't trust the fast charger supplied, my partner and step son both have and an S6 and S7 and their batteries are screwed due to using the fast charger. Should I just use it and let the battery run all way down then charge?
I would just use (and am using) the included charger as I have done with my past two Samsung phones... I'm fairly sure Samsung know what they're doing :) If you don't want to do that, maybe buy a generic USB charger that doesn't do fast charge.

With regards to the running down of the battery, this isn't a requirement anymore with modern Lithium-Ion batteries... the 'memory' issue and need to discharge fully was to do with nickel–cadmium and nickel–metal-hydride batteries

Question 6 - Settings -> Display -> Navigation Bar

Soldato
Anyone got their S8+ unlocked and if so, how much? Just rang MPD and they can't do a thing, they are saying contact EE. I've read online EE don't unluck until 6 months into the contract, so I guess it's to ebay..

Edit: Chatting to EE at the moment online, lets see what they say...

Edit2: No they can't do anything either, off to ebay...

Last edited:
Associate
So after a few hours with the S8+ I had a few questions:

1. It came out the box with 51% battery so let it run all way down and am now charging it from the usb port on my TV. Reason being is I don't trust the fast charger supplied, my partner and step son both have and an S6 and S7 and their batteries are screwed due to using the fast charger. Should I just use it and let the battery run all way down then charge?
  2. I have used my PAC code from O2 to move to EE and have gone through the online process, how long should it take for my number to port over?
  3. I have moved from an iPhone 6+ and looking at the screen it is lovely when playing video but I do think it has red tint problems. If i angle it away from me the redness is more noticeable. What have others done about this?..... if I am passing a mobile shop today I am going to go in and ask. Might need to send it back, came from MPD.
  4. I don't notice any difference between the standard out the box setting the the top screen setting, should I?
  5. I had to increase the size of the keyboard as was making constant mistakes with my thumb typing.
  6. How do I switch the back button to the other side?
  7. How do I enable wifi calling on EE?
I do love the phone and the screen, feels very slick and the Android OS has come leaps and bounds since I last used it on a HTC One. Think I'll give the iPhone to the Mrs and keep it :)

1) Charging from the TV? That will take ages to charge. I dont think their batteries got ruined by the fast charger. Its the number of full cycles that affect battery life. Lithium is best maintained through partial charges (say charging from 40% to 80%). Running the battery to empty and charging it to 100% is not recommended for Lithium batteries.
3) I have read that the redish tint is a known effect of super amoled displays. Samsung is rolling out a fix for it. I already got the update on my Exynos Dual Sim S8+.

Soldato
Anyone got their S8+ unlocked and if so, how much? Just rang MPD and they can't do a thing, they are saying contact EE. I've read online EE don't unluck until 6 months into the contract, so I guess it's to ebay..

I looked into it

Asked a random small shop in town which said £30/£35... Another said £20/£25 but he can't so S8's yet

But as you say, eBay probably best... I've seen Vodafone S8 unlocks on there going for about £12 I think

Soldato

Chitter chatter has been sending EE phones as well rather than unbranded but they have been giving unlock codes. Did you order sim free or on contract?

Someone (just checked, nickname crazybones) here earlier said he might be returning the phone because of it - he should have spate unlock code if that's the case, I've used mine up unfortunately.

Soldato
Thanks for all the info guys, I've been having a browse online and the S8/S8+ can definitely be unlocked - ebay is around £10-£12 so that's what I'll be trying next. EE told me they can only unlock it after 6 months, MPD couldn't do anything.

I've set the phone up anyway for now with the EE sim - it'll just be a straight sim swap once unlocked. For those wanting to activate BT sports if you got the EE deal, just text SPORT to 150 and it'll guide you through the process, just done it myself. The screen as everyone has said is amazing, this phone is just all about the screen.

Heard a lot of people praising the Spigen slim cases, the Ringke slim is also very nice imo. I preferred it over the Spigen on the s7e and I've got it for the 8+ here. It's making it easier for me to access the fingerprint reader for sure, now it's just a case of getting used to it.

Back
Top Bottom