The official Philips BDM4065UC thread

Associate
I have one of these monitors, although it is a spare now as I bought an X34a instead, anyway, I realised the 2 year warranty would be up in a few months so I RMA'd it via Philips as it had the problem with the screen randomly going black. Philips contacted me and said they only had the newer 43" version available now, so would I accept that as a replacement, to which I agreed. They said the new one would come first, then another courier would collect the old model, all in the same week.

The new monitor arrived as promised, two days later and to my eyes it was brand new. It still had all the tape over the glossy parts and came in a retail box. There is no evidence that it has been opened up or refurbished. It has some backlight bleed and I think it might have been returned for that before being fully unpackaged. It's is minor and doesn't bother me so thank god for fussy people!

Anyway, that was a month ago and they haven't picked up the old monitor so I guess they don't want it. The ticket is closed on their support site so I seem to have my original 40" and a new 43" also. I'm going to get some new caps for the power board on the 40" as I am capable of replacing them.

The point to this is, if you are thinking of returning yours for any reason, maybe roll the dice, you might get lucky.

Associate
I am not using either of the monitors right now, so hard to say. I just plugged it in to test it. I think the 43" is a higher spec and is IPS rather than VA. Probably best to read some reviews.

Oh ok no problem!

I will read some reviews. But if anyone here can give me a comparison of the two models that would be great thanks

Associate
tcboy88;30498352 said:
4350uc is slightly bigger.
and it doesn't have the pwm back-lighting issue that makes some people dizzy.

Hmm, I've read VA is better for gaming for input lag. But IPS has better colours.

Not sure if it's allowed but anywhere to get a price check on a 2nd hand perfect condition Philips BDM4065UC?

Associate
I have one of these monitors, although it is a spare now as I bought an X34a instead, anyway, I realised the 2 year warranty would be up in a few months so I RMA'd it via Philips as it had the problem with the screen randomly going black. Philips contacted me and said they only had the newer 43" version available now, so would I accept that as a replacement, to which I agreed. They said the new one would come first, then another courier would collect the old model, all in the same week.

The new monitor arrived as promised, two days later and to my eyes it was brand new. It still had all the tape over the glossy parts and came in a retail box. There is no evidence that it has been opened up or refurbished. It has some backlight bleed and I think it might have been returned for that before being fully unpackaged. It's is minor and doesn't bother me so thank god for fussy people!

Anyway, that was a month ago and they haven't picked up the old monitor so I guess they don't want it. The ticket is closed on their support site so I seem to have my original 40" and a new 43" also. I'm going to get some new caps for the power board on the 40" as I am capable of replacing them.

The point to this is, if you are thinking of returning yours for any reason, maybe roll the dice, you might get lucky.

Lucky you, mine literally blew its psu last Thursday (30/03) and I've just taken delivery of a refurbished replacement unit with half the screws for the stand missing and no functional OSD, so stuck on factory default @30Hz refresh in 4k. Now the ball ache of another week waiting for another RMA to complete. Shame because this one doesn't seem to have any of the ghosting or other issues that my original one had and that other users have highlighted, its just locked to 30hz is a deal breaker.

Associate
I had a issue with mine switching itself off, after one replacement which had no stand and made a crackling noise when plugged in, that was taken away then sent another one which kept flickering , now finally got one which seems ok, don't think I will buy Philips again.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmm, I've read VA is better for gaming for input lag. But IPS has better colours.

Not sure if it's allowed but anywhere to get a price check on a 2nd hand perfect condition Philips BDM4065UC?

Tried here? https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/forums/price-checks.102/

I'd expect it'd depend on age, warranty etc. Mine is about 2 years old and if I was selling it I'd expect about £250 collected and it's in mint condition with no problems unlike many in the thread! (I'm not selling it btw lol)

Associate
Fingers crossed mine is still going strong with no faults. I can't see myself going smaller now that I've got used to the form factor, normal 27" monitors seem tiny now.

Associate

kALLIST

Hi KAllisto, I take it from this post you have been able to remove the bezel and rear of the monitor? was this a difficult procedure and do you have any hints for me?
Lou

Associate
Well that was a fun month, not.

For my first replacement's replacement, they offered me an upgrade to the 43", which took over a week to arrive from Holland and was another refurb. This time with no feet in the box at all so once I got it my own VESA stand to mount the unit on and powered it up, discovered it had a lovely ~1 cm blue on black spot just below the centre of the panel. Tried using it but on other colours you got a weird spot - best way to describe the feeling it gave is that spot you burn into your retina if you look at a bright light point for too long, on everything.

So onto sorting RMA #3.

This time I point blank refused to accept any offers of a refurbished unit at all and insisted on either a brand new replacement of at least equal specification to what I bought or a full refund for the inconvenience caused by Philips own repair team's incompetence and lack of quality control so I can go buy a Dell instead and if neither was offered I would begin to start small claims proceedings to recover the cost of the monitor and compensation for time spent attempting to resolve the situation. Was told my request would need to be cleared by a supervisor and I would hear back by Friday 21/4/17. No one bothered, except RepairTech to arrange a DPD collection of faulty unit #3, so after calling the monitor support people again was given the tracking, model and serial number for my brand new BDM4350UC. Which arrived today - and for all intents seems to be working fine, picture is nice and no issues like the ghosting on the 40".

Honestly this whole experience has soured me to the Philips brand - yeah I got an upgraded? (bigger) monitor in the end, but to be honest I'd rather not have had to spend the 8 days of sitting round waiting in for couriers and the many hours of phone calls its taken to resolve this back. Don't care the price, my next display will be a Dell Ultrasharp - that no fuss warranty replacement is worth it, hell I almost pulled the trigger on the u3415w over the weekend regardless - still might and just sell this replacement on instead. Haven't made up my mind yet.

Soldato
I haven't had any issues that I couldn't sort in the two years of owning mine but honestly I doubt I'd take the risk again going on others experiences. Hopefully I won't have to replace this one for years but if I do it'll be a different manufacturer.

Associate
kALLIST

Hi KAllisto, I take it from this post you have been able to remove the bezel and rear of the monitor? was this a difficult procedure and do you have any hints for me?
Lou
ok i took apart two of these bad boys and they went back together without drama. if anyone needs pics let me know. cant seem to publish pics on my hardrive here?

Associate
Upload them to imgur or similar then post links from those.
sorry only just seen this. ok will try and do that. i hope the pics make sense, i only took them as an afterthought and did not compose the shots very well, i was very focused on the strip down and not stuffing it up, hence did not give enough thought to how the viewer might perceive the shots.

Back
Top Bottom