Help with PC running HOT

Associate
Hi, new poster here!

Over the years I've build a gaming rig, the last peice of the puzzle being a graphics card. Since installing said card it's been running hot, and subsequently been heating the rest of the PC. The specs are as follows:

Silverstone Raven RVZ01 ITX case
MSI Z87i Gaming ITX mobo
16GB RAM
Intel I7-4770k CPU
1 x Noctua NH-L12 low profile cooler in single fan config blowing air out the top of the case (in theory)
1 x standard case-supplied 120mm fan above the CPU cooler
ASUS GTX1070 Turbo with reference blower cooler
2 x Noctua NF-F12 120mm fans below the cooler pulling air from below the case up into the GPU (in theory :/ )
SSD

The case sits as a desktop on a desk, with reasonable clearance around the sides other than the base (10mm clearance I guess?)

The GPU fan rarely goes above 50%, I have tried running a custom map to get the fan running higher earlier, but it gets LOUD.

Temps when gaming are CPU 50 deg, GPU 80 deg. Not exactly a demanding game either....

Stock clocks running across the board.

Can anyone give advice as to how to get this thing to run cooler? The GPU backplate is too hot to touch after a couple of minutes of a gaming session, and the heat is dissapating across the mobo backplate as well. I fear for the components - the network started to go on the blink after an extended session and that port is close to the GPU, improved once cooled.

Thanks in Advance

Associate
OP
How do you mean small all-in-one CPU cooler? The one I have now is pretty small http://noctua.at/en/nh-l12.html and does the job on the CPU. When you mean being in fresh air, presumably you mean bringing airflow from the top of the case?

The case is http://www.silverstonetek.com/raven/products/index.php?model=RVZ01 in desktop configuration (it's why I bought it, console/media PC) so fans sit on the top and the bottom. Currently the 2 x 120mm fans below the GPU bring air from under the case into the GPU, whilst the CPU fans are in theory meant to draw the remaining air out through the heatsink and exhaust out of the top. Would it be worth swapping the CPU airflow, so it drawers air in from the top?

Thanks,

Airflow n00b

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm going to suggest there's nothing wrong.

Great temps on the cpu.
The gpu is close to its thermal limits but the model you have has a truly crap cooler that will struggle unless turned up to the max which is when it gets loud.

I'd suggest this is as good as it gets with that gpu.

Are you actually noticing a problem in games with reduced fps or are you simply worried about the 'numbers'?

Associate
OP
I'm worried about the shear heat that is being produced and dissapating along the rear of the case. I know the numbers are ok, problem is the actual heat doesn't seem to be leaving totally as airflow out the back, but is using the case as a heatsink. As far as what the GPU measures temps-wise it's fine. Where the CPU measures it's fine. It's in other areas that are perhaps not measured that there's an issue.

Speaking of which, I've heard that some graphics card actually use their backplate as a heatsink, this true?

I'm considering adding one or two 50-60mm fans to the side. Probably can't split the fan power cable much more though; one of them has already been split to power the 2 x 120mm's, and being an ITX board connections are limited. Alternative would be to swap the rear fan direction to be an exhaust fan and vent out the bottom. Problem being that the front fan would still be an intake to bring in the air into the GPU, and there's the risk of hot air being re-circulated. Would either of those solutions help?

Yup GPU cooler is crap, and at anything above 60% speed the fan sounds like a diesel generator and a jet engine combined, but I'm stuck with it :(. Now I know why a certain well-known high-street shop named after a famous Indian food export were selling them cheap(ish).

In terms of gaming performance and general behaviour I've not noticed any FPS drops, no visual distortions, or any sudden shut-downs. Having said that the most "demanding" game I've run so far is Battlefield 4 on Ultra @ 1080p. Even lesser games generate the heat. At the moment I wouldn't consider any VR (which is the ultimate intention); my PC is for making polygons not fire.

Thanks.

Soldato
How are the motherboard temps?

If they are ok I'd stop worrying about it.

If they are not you can play with case fans or sell on eBay and get an Asus strix or zotac extreme for super silence.

Back
Top Bottom