Creators update HDR

Associate
Hi,

For anyone using the latest update and the ability to have your desktop in HDR as apposed to just supported games. Am I missing something? I have turned it off as it just looks odd. I mean the fact that none of the content is in HDR just seems strange they would have this as an option no? Using a KS8000 as a monitor/TV.

The supported games triggered HDR anyway so im not sure what the idea of having the ability to have it permanently enabled is?

Soldato
what do you mean no content ?

HDR content using the wide rec2020 color space can be available inside browser, utube videos/flickr pictures, so enabling it should display them correctly.
equally if you are into wallpapers should be able to have a rec2020 image too.

Associate
OP
what do you mean no content ?

HDR content using the wide rec2020 color space can be available inside browser, utube videos/flickr pictures, so enabling it should display them correctly.
equally if you are into wallpapers should be able to have a rec2020 image too.

Hi,

How do you enable in browser hdr on youtube? I read a while ago that it was only supported with certain TVs app and the chromecast ultra? I have never used flickr I shall take a look at it, not even entirley sure what it is haha. I thought it was just an imageshack type site?

Thanks,
Sean

Soldato
yes you are right, to see the utube hdr videos eg
without a chromecast ultra, seems still need to download them manually with youtube-dl

C:\Users\paul7ssd\Downloads>youtube-dl.exe -f 335+251 mkggXE5e2yk -o out2.webm
[youtube] mkggXE5e2yk: Downloading webpage
[youtube] mkggXE5e2yk: Downloading video info webpage
[youtube] mkggXE5e2yk: Extracting video information
[youtube] mkggXE5e2yk: Downloading MPD manifest

C:\Users\paul7ssd\Downloads>ffprobe.exe -show_streams out2.webm

Duration: 00:02:38.60, start: 0.007000, bitrate: 3084 kb/s
Stream #0:0(eng): Video: vp9 (Profile 2), yuv420p10le(tv, bt2020nc/unknown/unknown), 1920x1080, SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9, 59
.94 fps, 59.94 tbr, 1k tbn, 1k tbc (default)
Stream #0:1(eng): Audio: opus, 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp (default)

maybe there is a chrome plugin that might circumvent that.

the 4k stream needs a recent graphics card for vp9 decode too, an i7q cpu alone crawls on it.

Associate
OP
This appears to be totally broken. None of the supported games are triggering HDR on my TV and even the desktop seems to be hit and miss, sometimes I boot the PC and the desktop is in HDR other times (mostly) its not.

I have the display set to 4:2:2 4k 10bit as before the creators update. It used to works fine, all the supported games would trigger HDR. Now nothing does!!! All drivers/windows is fully updated.

I tried to google the issue and it seems im not the only one. TV is Samsung KS8000 if anyone has any ideas?

Thanks

Associate
This appears to be totally broken. None of the supported games are triggering HDR on my TV and even the desktop seems to be hit and miss, sometimes I boot the PC and the desktop is in HDR other times (mostly) its not.

I have the display set to 4:2:2 4k 10bit as before the creators update. It used to works fine, all the supported games would trigger HDR. Now nothing does!!! All drivers/windows is fully updated.

I tried to google the issue and it seems im not the only one. TV is Samsung KS8000 if anyone has any ideas?

Thanks

I have a different TV but what i have found:

I have to set the Nvidia display to "use default colour settings" instead of the usual "use NVIDIA colour settings". I then have to set HDR in the windows display settings. This activates HDR on my TV. However, the screen is really dim and washed out. This has to do with how windows has implemented HDR. It isn't taking into account my SDR brightness and contrast (i guess its setting them to 0 luminance). But, when i play HDR in the tv and movies app HDR is working and the picture is great.

If i set 10bit 4:2:2 in the nvidia colour settings, the screen will stay in HDR mode (seems like it is working), however it is very flakey and i find that more often than not the tv resets to SDR or colours are skewed etc. Sometimes it works, normally straight after changing it, but soon after playing about with a mixture of SDR games and HDR games it breaks.

With the games. I can comfirm i have had all working in HDR since the creators update. Mass effect HDR works correctly using the "use default colour settings". However, of the top of my head, i do remember having to fiddle a little with another game (but that could just be when i was experimenting with different colur settings to get HDR working). I will get back with my findings later.

Associate
OP
I have a different TV but what i have found:

I have to set the Nvidia display to "use default colour settings" instead of the usual "use NVIDIA colour settings". I then have to set HDR in the windows display settings. This activates HDR on my TV. However, the screen is really dim and washed out. This has to do with how windows has implemented HDR. It isn't taking into account my SDR brightness and contrast (i guess its setting them to 0 luminance). But, when i play HDR in the tv and movies app HDR is working and the picture is great.

If i set 10bit 4:2:2 in the nvidia colour settings, the screen will stay in HDR mode (seems like it is working), however it is very flakey and i find that more often than not the tv resets to SDR or colours are skewed etc. Sometimes it works, normally straight after changing it, but soon after playing about with a mixture of SDR games and HDR games it breaks.

With the games. I can comfirm i have had all working in HDR since the creators update. Mass effect HDR works correctly using the "use default colour settings". However, of the top of my head, i do remember having to fiddle a little with another game (but that could just be when i was experimenting with different colur settings to get HDR working). I will get back with my findings later.

Hi,

Thanks for the tips! After selecting "defualt colour settings" I can now play HDR Games again correctly. The desktop is still all washed out and just not right like yours.

Also with HDR on in windows when playing a SDR game it looks all orange and the colours are wrong, so I need to disable HDR before staring an SDR game. Hopefully microsoft/nvidea are working on the issue!

I will update this thread if I manage to get it working, if you could do the same that would be great. There does not seem to be much info on the subject or just my google fu letting me down haha.

Thanks

Associate
Another tip i forgot to add:
My tv is an LG and i have to set the input label as anything other than PC for the HDR to show correctly. If i set the TV to PC all the colours are crushed.

Associate
Im having major issues.

Windows 10 creator update, 381.89 Nvidia drivers.
If I use 4:2:2 10bpc via Nvidia CP games will not load in HDR mode.
If I use default color settings and Windows HDR setting on, games will load in HDR mode. But it is very finicky:

-RE7 will take a minute after launch to enter the intro screens and menu. Then the game will run fine with HDR after that.

-MEA will also take a minute to load the intro screens upon launch and all the ingame menu(s) will be a slideshow. I cannot move the cursor and select anything. Ontop of that, I drop from 65 fps to 40 fps jsut for using HDR mode. If I switch back to RGB Full and not touch any other setting, HDR will not load but I will be back at 65 fps and ingame menu(s) will run properly.

If I use 378.92 drivers, I can launch HDR in games under RGB Full, but blacks a seriously crushed. Shadows and dark areas become too dark. But performance is at maximum, and no weird menu glitching in MEA.

If I try 4:2:2 10bpc under these drivers, HDR will launch but with some seriously ill colors, fluro/neon like colors. Extremly off.

Im at a loss. Wtf to do?

Associate
Not working here either on my LG B6.

Have you tried turning HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Colour on? If so, try turning it off and then on again. When the B6 was released it wasn't ready for hdr10 out the box. It needed an update. After the update hdr10 still wouldn't work until the deep colour setting was switched off then back on again. Also make sure your tv isn't set to pc mode.

Associate
Have you tried turning HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Colour on? If so, try turning it off and then on again. When the B6 was released it wasn't ready for hdr10 out the box. It needed an update. After the update hdr10 still wouldn't work until the deep colour setting was switched off then back on again. Also make sure your tv isn't set to pc mode.

Yes, deep colour mode is enabled. The HDR mode is activating but it doesn't look right.

Not tried changing the mode for the input though, what should this be set too if not PC?

Associate
Im having major issues.

Windows 10 creator update, 381.89 Nvidia drivers.
If I use 4:2:2 10bpc via Nvidia CP games will not load in HDR mode.
If I use default color settings and Windows HDR setting on, games will load in HDR mode. But it is very finicky:

-RE7 will take a minute after launch to enter the intro screens and menu. Then the game will run fine with HDR after that.

-MEA will also take a minute to load the intro screens upon launch and all the ingame menu(s) will be a slideshow. I cannot move the cursor and select anything. Ontop of that, I drop from 65 fps to 40 fps jsut for using HDR mode. If I switch back to RGB Full and not touch any other setting, HDR will not load but I will be back at 65 fps and ingame menu(s) will run properly.

If I use 378.92 drivers, I can launch HDR in games under RGB Full, but blacks a seriously crushed. Shadows and dark areas become too dark. But performance is at maximum, and no weird menu glitching in MEA.

If I try 4:2:2 10bpc under these drivers, HDR will launch but with some seriously ill colors, fluro/neon like colors. Extremly off.

Im at a loss. Wtf to do?

I'm not to sure about your problem with MEA, but i do have a problem sometimes with hdr games because of the need to have my games set to fullscreen.
If i have my games set to fullscreen, i will quite often have frame rate issues. Many times i do not notice this as my gpu will brute force it. The remedy for this is to play my games in borderless windowed. This ensures that i get the performance i should. EG resident evil 7 fullscreen = Choppy, sometimes slide show with gpu bouncing between 50-100% every second. Windowed borderless = 99-100% gpu at all times. So as a result, my hdr is choppy due to only working in fullscreen mode. However, i have found that if i alt-tab in and out of RE7 a few times, at some point it will maintain the 99-100gpu usage and run fine. So for me, the choppy performance i have seen at times when usiong HDR is not caused by the HDR but with the fullscreen gpu usage problem.

Associate
Yes, deep colour mode is enabled. The HDR mode is activating but it doesn't look right.

Not tried changing the mode for the input though, what should this be set too if not PC?

I just have mine set to game. I found if i set my hdmi label to PC that the colours are skewed, same as having full rgb connected to limited rgb or vice versa. Wierd thing is, when i change the setting from low to high rgb on the tv, it doesnt fix the colour skew.

Associate
I just have mine set to game. I found if i set my hdmi label to PC that the colours are skewed, same as having full rgb connected to limited rgb or vice versa. Wierd thing is, when i change the setting from low to high rgb on the tv, it doesnt fix the colour skew.

Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a try later.

EDIT: No joy, changing to console mode made no difference here, it's just way too dark with the HDR mode enabled.

Last edited:
Associate
I have been playing around with lots of different settings using 378.92 drivers.

I have used all the settings below and fortunately they all do launch HDR 4K@60hz in Windows Creators with the games I have tried so far; RE7 and MEA

1. RGB Full 8bpc
2. RGB Limited 8bpc
3. 4:2:2 10bpc
4. 4:2:2 12bpc

I know HDR needs a 10bit signal but these drivers will still launch HDR in games when I set RGB 8bpc.

Out of all the above, I liked No.1 the most in terms of how vibrant it looked. Colors seem to popp the most. On the downside, blacks a seriously crushed and makes shadows and dark area very dark! RE7 is almost playing in pitch black, and MEA is ok until you get into dark rooms etc. I would like to keep this setting but cannot play RE7 with it properly.

No.2 was like No.1 but just a tad less vibrant incomparison to it but the blacks wern't crushed anymore and dark area/shadows can actually be seen properly, unlike No.1 where it seemed pitch black.

No.3 felt very much like No.2, not sure how much of a difference there is if any at all but No.3 colors felt dull compared to No.1

No.4 was like No.3 but with a 25fps hit in MEA. Why such a big drop in fps for using 12bpc I do not know.

So my question is, which of these settings are you guys using for your HDR gaming and why? I want stay with RGB if possible, but probably just use Limited so the blacks can be seen well.

Caporegime
I'm glad I found this thread.

Whatever Microsoft have done, it's totally broken. My LG B6V looks really dull and washed out with HDR enabled in Windows 10. I know it's not the TV as the little HDR logo that flashes up in the top right is very bright, as are the menus

8bit RGB looks great, but disables HDR completely so you can't enable it in Hitman and Shadow Warrior 2

10bit and 12bit YCbCr 420 or 422 look terrible on the desktop and the games don't look right with HDR enabled. PS4 Pro games look so much better.

Prior to the creators update and using older Nvidia drivers (378.92?), Shadow Warrior 2 HDR mode looked great, though at the time the LG input lag update hadn't been released so it was difficult to play.

I'm on the windows insider preview and none of this has been fixed in even the most recent release.

Caporegime
I have been playing around with lots of different settings using 378.92 drivers.

I have used all the settings below and fortunately they all do launch HDR 4K@60hz in Windows Creators with the games I have tried so far; RE7 and MEA

1. RGB Full 8bpc
2. RGB Limited 8bpc
3. 4:2:2 10bpc
4. 4:2:2 12bpc

I know HDR needs a 10bit signal but these drivers will still launch HDR in games when I set RGB 8bpc.

Out of all the above, I liked No.1 the most in terms of how vibrant it looked. Colors seem to popp the most. On the downside, blacks a seriously crushed and makes shadows and dark area very dark! RE7 is almost playing in pitch black, and MEA is ok until you get into dark rooms etc. I would like to keep this setting but cannot play RE7 with it properly.

What TV do you have.

If it's an LG you need to go in to the picture settings and change the 'Black level' from low to high if using Full RGB.

You are better off using RGB Limited with black level low to be honest.

Soldato
All this HDR baloney is just a marketing gimmick to help keep selling TVs. Only reason MS has decided to milk it is because they've recently been trying to milk as much money as possible.

It's all BS. An HDR image can be contained within a completely standard sRGB colour space. I've done it myself lol, and so have millions of people, many years before TV manufacturers decided to turn it into a money making gimmick.

Dynamic range has absolutely nothing to do with the colour space your working in. The dynamic range is dictated by the RAW dynamic range of the imaging sensor, it's to do with signal clipping. lol. If you have a good enough imaging sensor to be able to capture things with less clipping, then it doesn't matter what colour space you're displaying it in.

But obviously TV manufacturers won't profit if studios just release HDR material on a standard RGB model, which is perfectly capable of displaying absolute black as well as absolute white. So they need to make it seem as if it's exclusive to some brand spanking new TV technology.

This HDR business is no different to a TV manufacturer claiming a 100000000000000:1 contrast ratio.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom