The great debate of the moment-silver inside or out?

Permabanned
Does anyone have an insight into why Costco hotdogs from the cafeteria of my local store (Chester) mostly come wrapped in a sheet with silver foil on the outside and white paper on the inside?

Surely keeping a hot item warm requires the foil on the inside to reflect heat back in.

Its just sometimes they reverse the wrapping process!

Other hotdogs wrapped in one sided foil/one side paper are available!

Caporegime
Islamic plot to make your pork hotdogs go cold faster in order to give you dhiorreha to make pooping through letter boxes more difficult.

True story i read it in the daily mail

Soldato
it makes no difference, the foil is still surrounding it, having paper on the inside doesn't suddenly negate the heat retention properties of the foil, the heat will get through the paper and then be reflected back to the paper by the foil. its all touching so I can't see an issue really

Caporegime
it makes no difference, the foil is still surrounding it, having paper on the inside doesn't suddenly negate the heat retention properties of the foil, the heat will get through the paper and then be reflected back to the paper by the foil. its all touching so I can't see an issue really

Yes it does.

The foil requires an airgap as it reflects infrared heat not heat conducted through the material.

Associate
foil must be a reflector only but a good one, thermal resistance is going to be low as paper/foil is so thin so conduction loss higher . not sure an air gap is needed as long as its infra red radiation contact or no contact makes no difference.

Paper is not absorbent.

what kind of weird hotdog is so juicy the bun fails to cope. Sounds sloppy

Soldato
I can't add anything helpful other than to wave at someone who uses the same costco.

Never used the cafeteria there: cba with the queue. I could speculate that foil outside means the hot-dog cools quicker so that people eat faster and free up the tables (there may be a lack of scientific reasoning to this however).

Back
Top Bottom