Are there good and bad TRV's?

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
Hi Folks,

Following on from my previous thread about swapping out some old rads, im also going to change the old valves to TRV's, well all bar one, as apparently, thats what you do on a combi system.

I was going to get the rads from Screwfix, but i wasnt sure if their boggo TRV's were upto the job, im guessing the better they are the tighter control they offer? whats a good bang for buck brand, i see Honeywell and Danfoss seem to be market leaders of sorts.

Soldato
Just get some Drayton TRV4's. They look nice and can be picked up for about £20 each. I have one on every radiator in my house.

Soldato
it's hardly rocket science technology here. it's a manual valve controlled by hand and turning it. i would go for the cheapest ones tbh.

Its not a manual valve at all.
Some used wax some use a fluid to adjust the valve automatically. Some are reliable some are not, some are accurate some are not.

Some like the Drayton TRV4 allow you to balance the radiator so you can just use the lockshield to turn the radiator off when needed and not needing to remember it's setting.

Soldato
Definitely don't get the cheapest out there. We had central heating put in ~4 years ago and the plumbers used very cheap ones. They've been dropping like flies and I spent one of my Easter bank holiday days replacing every one in the house with ones that don't seep from around the pin. I got some Pegler Terrier ones that seem quite sturdy and have double o-ring seals around the pins.

Soldato
Definitely don't get the cheapest out there. We had central heating put in ~4 years ago and the plumbers used very cheap ones. They've been dropping like flies and I spent one of my Easter bank holiday days replacing every one in the house with ones that don't seep from around the pin. I got some Pegler Terrier ones that seem quite sturdy and have double o-ring seals around the pins.

I have to second this cheap ones will in my experience inevitably leak from around the pin in the end particularly I've found those with plastic pins. I only buy reasonable quality middle of the road valves with metal pins now unless I want something fancy to go on a designer radiator.

Associate
Our central heating is plastic piping from a central manifold. Therefore, my understanding is that each radiator receives its own hot water supply and hasn't passed through any other radiator.

I therefore presume that balancing the radiators is unimportant for me and I can just have each radiator as hot or as cold (off) as I want with no ill effects on the other radiators in the system? We have put TRV's on each radiator for this purpose which are just middle of the road. I can't remember the brand.

Or have I misunderstood how it works.

Associate
Our central heating is plastic piping from a central manifold. Therefore, my understanding is that each radiator receives its own hot water supply and hasn't passed through any other radiator.

I therefore presume that balancing the radiators is unimportant for me and I can just have each radiator as hot or as cold (off) as I want with no ill effects on the other radiators in the system? We have put TRV's on each radiator for this purpose which are just middle of the road. I can't remember the brand.

It's not about pressure, it's about temperature, TRVs allow you to set different temperatures on each room

Soldato

No. Single pipe systems havent been used for ages. Manifold system is used to reduce cost. It functions no different than a dual pipe system in that you have a flow and return to each radiator. Balancing is just as important. Manifold systems have there downsides usually that they use 10mm and 8mm pipework, which ever radiator has the longest pipework will warm up last.

You cant use TRVs at all on a single pipe system.

Associate
No. Single pipe systems havent been used for ages. Manifold system is used to reduce cost. It functions no different than a dual pipe system in that you have a flow and return to each radiator. Balancing is just as important. Manifold systems have there downsides usually that they use 10mm and 8mm pipework, which ever radiator has the longest pipework will warm up last.

You cant use TRVs at all on a single pipe system.

Ahh, that makes sense now. Thanks a lot.

Caporegime

honeywell and a few other companies have ones controllable by phones, etc.

they are very expensive so much so it would take decades to see any savings i imagine.

Associate
Pegler are good quality and probably the cheapest i would go, trv4s are nice but expensive, also if you check the bodys / threads to make sure they are compatible with Smart trv heads coming out now like evohome etc, pegler and most big names should be but some unknown cheap stuff might not be

Soldato
Bit of a blast from the past, but are TRV4 valves still the best of the bunch? I’m having all new radiators in the house and want to make sure I am not skimping on valves.

I’m going to need twelve of them, so where should I be looking to buy and for what price? Amazon @ c£21 a decent shout?

Back
Top Bottom