**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ Thread ****

Soldato
Anyway to force the update to the latest version? I'm on a SIM free carphone warehouse s8+ still stuck on the previous firmware
Strange, sure you're not on AQDG already? I have COW one too and it downloaded the update straight out of the box after connecting to Wi-Fi. Does it not show up if you go to check for updates?

Soldato
So I've got a standard samsung charger and cable and also an Aukey mutliple device charger with a fancy USB-c cable.

My first handset worked perfectly fine off both chargers and both cables.

This handset plays up every so often. I notice substantial battery drain today (100% 7AM - 3% left at 7PM) - and I hardly used the phone!

Anyways - when I plug in the USB-C cables sometimes the phone starts to continually beep (and flashing its charging) - That aint right!!!! At first it was to do with the orientation of the plug, for some reason it made a difference. Now it just does it when it feels like it. Once it starts I have to go to the other charger for it to start working. I've experienced this with both chargers so finding it hard to diagnose whats actually at fault here!

Back to samsung I go I guess unless anyones experienced anything similar?

Getting a bit sick of all this - might just return the phone for a full refund as they've never been able to supply me with completely fault free phone so far - two in row, don't think i'll risk a third.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi there, yeah I am still waiting - according to various sources and daily chats with the amazon team. The delivery date is anytime from a week to middle of June - yes JUNE !

That is crazy especially for Amazon! :eek:

Why not just cancel and order again through Samsung via Quidco/TCB for 3.15% cashback in the process?

Pre order promise with Amazon was if the price fluctuates you will pay the lowest price. It stands currently as £722 so thats what ill be paying...but im not very patient :p

Associate
Quick mini review from someone who just swapped from ios! I do like to swap between IOS and andriod every couple of years though.

ive had an s8+ for almost week now, used for long work days including emails, our on call app, logmein, texts, calls, lots of driving so its on the car bluetooth etc. and a bit of surfing in the evening.

I came from an iphone 6 that i'd had for a couple of years and the battery was starting to show its age, so decided it was time for an upgrade.

New phone impressions, first thing, wow, that screen!!!! its amazing. Build quality is spot on. That gadget they put in the box you plug into the phone, then plug your old iphone into via its USB lead and the app pops up and transfers all your stuff over, slick! no computers needed, it even gave me a list off comparable google app store apps that i'd had installed on my iphone, total breeze to get where I was on the old phone.

ive had a few probs with the phone being in my pocket and it seems to launch apps even when its locked. Bluetooth seems flaky too, it struggles to re connect or even initially connect to my car when i get in. If I stream music via bluetooth to the car or my BT headphones in the gym it seems to fail a lot and I have to restart what ever app spotify / tunein radio etc) to get it going again. Anoying as hell!

Havent really looked into the edge menu thing yet, coming from an iphone, but been busy so when I get time ill see if its something i'll use.

I dont see the point in having that dedicated side button for that bixby(sp?) function at the moment. doesnt seem responsive anyway when you do press it and it just gets in the way! maybe its something ill learn to love when it works and I start trying it.

Headphones that came with it are a millions miles ahead of the Iphone ones.

Battery seems great. After a demanding 14 hour work day it still had 40+ percent with no additional charging. The Iphone 6 would have needed plugging in to the front of a PC or USB port in the car during the day to keep it alive.

Had the odd weird things crop up, for example the torch would turn itself on in my pocket or the button to fix it in portrait mode / toggle to auto rotate etc, would just change, basically any of the icons in that drop down menu. I'm not 100% sure why these problem are cropping up when I clearly lock the phone before it go's back in my pocket.

Iris scanner, what is this voodoo? I have never really bothered with security lock screens in the past as typing in a code or doing some special semifor swipe to check an email quickly wasnt my thing, too much hassle! This eye scanner though, sometimes it will get me to the home screen so fast it doesnt even display the scanner interface. This security im sold on. I wont go back to not having a lock screen now I have this option. It's the way forward when its so responsive.

I ordered a 2017 gear VR headset with the controller that should be here in a few days so will give another update then if anyone is interested!

Cheers,
Matt.

Associate
Strange, sure you're not on AQDG already? I have COW one too and it downloaded the update straight out of the box after connecting to Wi-Fi. Does it not show up if you go to check for updates?
No it doesn't, it did do one update a week or so ago but it updated to the firmware before, strange that yours has and mine hasn't I'm on AQDD

Associate
John Lewis have plenty of stock online and instore. Yes, they are RRP but they are uk unlocked versions and JL supply a 30 day no question return period.

Soldato
oh great - thats my second one diagnosed by samsung as faulty.
Meh, just gunna return it all for a refund - sick of this.

Whats a good alternative to the standard S8? - I'm not gunna spend this amount of monies on a device that I have to compromise on

Two devices with the red tint so far. First one had the red tint at the bottom, this one has the red tint on the right edge and a charging issue.

Last edited:
Soldato
Done - arranged to return for full refund. Tis a shame they wouldn't replace it again, insisted on a 'repair'.

So wheres the cheapest to purchase from currently sim free pls chaps?

Soldato
ive had a few probs with the phone being in my pocket and it seems to launch apps even when its locked. Bluetooth seems flaky too, it struggles to re connect or even initially connect to my car when i get in. If I stream music via bluetooth to the car or my BT headphones in the gym it seems to fail a lot and I have to restart what ever app spotify / tunein radio etc) to get it going again. Anoying as hell!

Havent really looked into the edge menu thing yet, coming from an iphone, but been busy so when I get time ill see if its something i'll use.

I dont see the point in having that dedicated side button for that bixby(sp?) function at the moment. doesnt seem responsive anyway when you do press it and it just gets in the way! maybe its something ill learn to love when it works and I start trying it.

Headphones that came with it are a millions miles ahead of the Iphone ones.

Battery seems great. After a demanding 14 hour work day it still had 40+ percent with no additional charging. The Iphone 6 would have needed plugging in to the front of a PC or USB port in the car during the day to keep it alive.

Had the odd weird things crop up, for example the torch would turn itself on in my pocket or the button to fix it in portrait mode / toggle to auto rotate etc, would just change, basically any of the icons in that drop down menu. I'm not 100% sure why these problem are cropping up when I clearly lock the phone before it go's back in my pocket.

Iris scanner, what is this voodoo? I have never really bothered with security lock screens in the past as typing in a code or doing some special semifor swipe to check an email quickly wasnt my thing, too much hassle! This eye scanner though, sometimes it will get me to the home screen so fast it doesnt even display the scanner interface. This security im sold on. I wont go back to not having a lock screen now I have this option. It's the way forward when its so responsive.

I ordered a 2017 gear VR headset with the controller that should be here in a few days so will give another update then if anyone is interested!

Cheers,
Matt.

There is option in settings to prevent phone from unlocking if in your pocket. Display settings -> keep phone turned off. This will switch AOD as well to save battery when in your pocket or flipped screen down.

This should fix that problem if you don't have any lock mode on.

Interested in gear vr with remote review, especially for watchimg movies etc .

Soldato
What were the pink screen issues you had?

This bud: https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/red-tinted-galaxy-s8-screens-korea/

Apparantly samsung are going to fix it with a software fix - ROFL. They tried to reduce the red tint on my first phone but it was really bad. It was at the bottom slightly to start with, but as time progressed it got worse and you could see a clear pink tint all the way up to about the top 1/3 of the screen when held at a slight angle. They replaced this with a brand new one.

Brand new one started off the same - slight tint at bottom and right edges. The bottom tint has completely gone but the right side tint is clearly visible.
That combined with the charging issue I am now suffering (not 100% sure its the just the charger though) is unacceptable for a £700 product. Samsung have got quality control issues they need to address.

Not going to wait to try and get lucky the third time.

Gunna buy from a shop this time where I can just return it easily and get a replacement straight away. None of this faffing that the Samsung shop do. Their customer service leaves a lot to be desired unfortunately.

So come on chaps, whats the contender to the s8 please?

Associate
I also returned my S8+ due to a couple of reasons. The main ones being:

1) My device had a pink tint on the notifications bar at the top and also the right edge of the screen. It was not a total deal breaker but was annoying on a £779 device where the main improvement and user experience is the screen.
2) The lack of decent screen protectors. The only protectors that fit properly were the film type and these just aren't as clear as the tempered glass ones. But as we all know the tempered glass ones are poor on screens that have curves. I did use a film protector that required a wet application, and whilst it was ok, it just ruined the awesome screen experience that the S8+ delivered when naked! I would be devastated if I scratched that screen though but could not bring myself to not use a protector. Even though it has gorilla glass 5 or whatever it is, it is still prone to scratching as has been seen on this very forum.
3) The fingerprint sensor. Whilst I got used to it, I mainly used the IRIS scanner which is brilliant, although very hit and miss in sunlight.
4) The niggling feeling that the Note 8 will be better in the camera department, that maybe I should just wait for that.

Although now it has been returned and I have gone back to my iPhone 7 plus, I really miss it. It is much easier to handle than the iPhone, the screen is in a different league even with the slight tint. I miss Sidesync running when i'm at home. I found the call quality better on the S8+ as well. I' so tempted to reorder and put up with the couple of small issues it could have.

Soldato
This bud: https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/red-tinted-galaxy-s8-screens-korea/

Apparantly samsung are going to fix it with a software fix - ROFL. They tried to reduce the red tint on my first phone but it was really bad. It was at the bottom slightly to start with, but as time progressed it got worse and you could see a clear pink tint all the way up to about the top 1/3 of the screen when held at a slight angle. They replaced this with a brand new one.

Brand new one started off the same - slight tint at bottom and right edges. The bottom tint has completely gone but the right side tint is clearly visible.
That combined with the charging issue I am now suffering (not 100% sure its the just the charger though) is unacceptable for a £700 product. Samsung have got quality control issues they need to address.

Not going to wait to try and get lucky the third time.

Gunna buy from a shop this time where I can just return it easily and get a replacement straight away. None of this faffing that the Samsung shop do. Their customer service leaves a lot to be desired unfortunately.

So come on chaps, whats the contender to the s8 please?

Sorry to hear you are having issues with yours :(

This is the reason why I put up with a tiny scuff on the metal trim on mine. I was worried I'd get one with a ropey red tint on the screen.

If I couldn't have an s8, then the LG G6 would be next on my list I think.

Back
Top Bottom