• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

is it worth upgrading a i7 3770k?

Soldato
If you're just gaming and it's overclocked, no, not at all. If you're trying to push 144Hz then a 7700K would be a fair boost, but not to the point that I'd actually recommend anybody buy a new quad core at this point. Even Intel are moving on from quad core CPUs now. If you do any sort of content creation or streaming, a Ryzen chip would be a good upgrade (but a sidegrade for gaming). There's also Intel's new high end platform coming soon, though be prepared to pay through the nose for it. Lastly there's Coffee Lake, which will see six core chips come to the mainstream platform. I'd wait for those at least if neither Ryzen nor Intel's overpriced nuclear reactors appeal.

Also, if your 3770K isn't overclocked, now would be a great time to do it.

Associate
I just upgraded from a 3770k @ 4.5ghz ddr3 @2133 to a ryzen 1700 @ 3.9ghz ddr4 3200 and it feels NO faster in general day to day usage and a bit slower in gaming to be honest but I had the itch and wanted a newer platform to play with....

Associate
OP
If you're just gaming and it's overclocked, no, not at all. If you're trying to push 144Hz then a 7700K would be a fair boost, but not to the point that I'd actually recommend anybody buy a new quad core at this point. Even Intel are moving on from quad core CPUs now. If you do any sort of content creation or streaming, a Ryzen chip would be a good upgrade (but a sidegrade for gaming). There's also Intel's new high end platform coming soon, though be prepared to pay through the nose for it. Lastly there's Coffee Lake, which will see six core chips come to the mainstream platform. I'd wait for those at least if neither Ryzen nor Intel's overpriced nuclear reactors appeal.

Also, if your 3770K isn't overclocked, now would be a great time to do it.

what cooler would you reccomend to replace the stock cooler?

Soldato
what cooler would you reccomend to replace the stock cooler?
It depends on how much you want to spend really. Something like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo at around £25 will allow a perfectly decent overclock. The Noctua NH-U14S that I have is fantastic, though it's twice the price.

Soldato
Associate
OP
No knowledge of it personally, but the reviews on the product page are good at least. Ultimately, there are a ton of options that all perform relatively similarly in terms of tower air coolers. The only thing that sets them apart is things like ease of mounting, fan quality/longevity/noise and customer service.
thanks for your help

Associate
I'm still happily using my i7 3770k. Problem is that to upgrade it would also mean new motherboard and ram too, and trying to find a bracket for my TRUE 120 cooler, if one is actually available for newer cpus.

Using a 980ti with ultra widescreen monitor and can't say I've noticed many problems with gaming.

Had it a number of years and did consider upgrading when Ryzen came out, but decided not to bother this time around, as it would be a lot of outlay for not too much increase in what I use it for.

Soldato
ive still got mine with a 290 and at 1080p im having no trouble playing any new release. this has been the longest i have been with out upgrading and as i bought all the kit off the MM ive had a massive reuslt.

Back
Top Bottom