2017 KTM 1290 SuperDuke R

Soldato
Had some time to ride on the new SuperDuke now and take a few more pics/gather some thoughts. I traded in my 2014 BMW S1000R for the KTM and after 2 days do not regret that decision. The SDR inspires far more confidence, perhaps it because I am more used to a more upright position. Perhaps it's the non-electronic suspension on the SDR compared to the S1000R. It might be the Metzler M7RRs. Or a combination of a load of things. I fell far more comfortable, far more planted and faster on the SDR.

I was a little concerned about smoothness. coming from the BMW IL4. I need not have been. The new SDR fueling is absolutely black magic. Even slow speed, 1st gear, hairpin exit roll-on is smooth. I was concerned these sorts of scenarios were going to be plagued by super snatchy throttle. It's not the case at all and KTM have done a fantastic job, even in the face of EU4.

The stock can does a pretty good job. Although I am not a fan of it's looks (It could be worse I guess) videos do not give you a true sense of it. It's pretty loud for a stock can and it makes all the right noises. With the Performance Pack Quickshifter+ it pops, bangs and burbles. The first upshift crack/bang caught me off guard - it was furious.

The quickshifter and auto blipper is sublime. The S1000R did a great job on upshifts and the SDR is just as good. The downshift autoblipper is perfect, every time, from any gear. Even 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 1st quickshifts/auto blips are positive and smooth. The auto blipper also handles downshifts with the throttle still held open.

The Motor Slip Regulation (MSR) does an absolutely fantastic job of ironing out the engine braking you might expect from such a large CC V-Twin. You still have a nice degree of engine braking in the stock setting that you can modulate off a bit of speed with throttle off but not "I felt like I just slammed on the front brake" feeling you might otherwise have without it.

I was not sold by the LCD dash in pictures/videos. But in practice it's excellent. It's clear, super vivid and sharp. It turns what would otherwise be a NIGHTMARE menu system into an easy to use mobile phone like experience. Customization of a favourite menu etc etc make it a joy to use.

Anyway, some pics:

ktm_sdr1290_stcath_1.jpg

ktm_sdr1290_stcath_2.jpg

ktm_sdr1290_stcath_3.jpg

ktm_sdr1290_stcath_4.jpg

ktm_sdr1290_stcath_5.jpg

ktm_sdr1290_stcath_6.jpg

ktm_sdr1290_stcath_7.jpg

ktm_sdr1290_stcath_8.jpg

ktm_sdr1290_stcath_9.jpg

Soldato
OP
Reserved for Modifications

KTM Powerparts Carbon Ignition/Clutch Covers

Wanted these in-case of a drop. Bike would still be rideable hopefully. Not too spendy and are excellent quality.

ktm_sdr1290_stcath_carbon_1.jpg

ktm_sdr1290_stcath_carbon_2.jpg

KTM Powerparts Heated Grips

Had heated grips on the S1000R and would not be without them now. The throttle side has internal cabling and clutch side fixed external cabling. Tidy enough!

ktm_sdr1290_stcath_hgrip_1.jpg

ktm_sdr1290_stcath_hgrip_2.jpg

Vtrec Vario III Levers

Discounted heavily on the official store at present. £106 for folding, length and reach adjustable levers is a bargain. Can choose what colour options you want. I'm very happy with the matte black finish. Overall the fit, finish and quality is excellent. highly recommended.

ktm_sdr1290_stcath_vtrec_1.jpg

ktm_sdr1290_stcath_vtrec_2.jpg

ktm_sdr1290_stcath_vtrec_3.jpg

ktm_sdr1290_stcath_vtrec_4.jpg

3M Invisishield

My go to for paint protection every time. Absolute PITA to put on but if you invest the time the finish is top notch. Literally invisible unless very close and very hard wearing. Best option if you want a 'naked' tank but don't want the paint being wrecked.

ktm_sdr1290_stcath_3mshield_1.jpg

ktm_sdr1290_stcath_3mshield_2.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Lots of parts incoming. KTM carbon ignition cover is backordered for a while so will have to put up with the plastic shroud on the tank for now.

Got a load of Evotech stuff coming also. Also waiting for some taller universal rizoma mounts to move my mirrors over.

Soldato
Awesome looking bike, if these weren't so high I would consider one but sadly it's too much hassle for me.

I'm looking to swap to an s1000r in the next few weeks, going from a street triple r to an s1000r is going to be great.

Soldato
OP
Awesome looking bike, if these weren't so high I would consider one but sadly it's too much hassle for me.

I'm looking to swap to an s1000r in the next few weeks, going from a street triple r to an s1000r is going to be great.

The R is a great bike, a large reason for my change was a shockingly poor Motorrad dealership.

Shame about the seat height on the SDR. 835mm for the SDR, 812mm for the S1000R. You will find that the ride height of the S1000r fitted with DDC (electronic Suspension) will change whilst the bike is running compared to not. Usually it tends to lower slightly.

Soldato
I can flat foot my left foot but I have to tip toe the bike if I want both feet down, it's just too risky if it goes over and I can't stop it.

Whats the torque like on the SDR? brutal?

Soldato
OP
The torque just catapults you wherever you are pointing. I'm still in run in period and nowhere near WOT. Can just throw gears at it and it flies. The throttle and fueling makes it so usable though, never feel out of control.

Even though I can flat foot both the SDR and S1000R I did notice that despite there only being a small difference between seat heights I felt more tippy-toey on the SDR. It's harder to push back whilst sitting down for example. Having a decent turning circle again is nice though. The S1000R has the turning circle of a cruise liner!

Soldato
I test rode one of these the other day, completely out of this world. The thing that surprised me the most? How nimble and small it is for a 1300cc bike. Amazing.

I'd love to get one. Soon I hope, soon!

Very lucky, grats!.

Associate
Looks superb.

I have had a couple of KTMs a 690 Duke and 1190 Adventure. Both had issues with fuel pumps and filters. I hope the design has changed with the SDR?

My only disappointment is the lack of stainless bolts on all KTMs. For the price they should use better hardware.

Have fun on it.

Matt

Soldato
Looks superb.

I have had a couple of KTMs a 690 Duke and 1190 Adventure. Both had issues with fuel pumps and filters. I hope the design has changed with the SDR?

My only disappointment is the lack of stainless bolts on all KTMs. For the price they should use better hardware.

Have fun on it.

Matt
There are still fuel pump and MTC failures on the 2017 SDR. Bike shuts off completely. It's rare in that the average person won't see it but it is a common complaint on the forums.

Soldato
OP
Some of the MTC failures are due to dealers not enabling the bike properly rather than actual faults. Some peoples bike's have "Shut Down" and were unrideable with MTC errors. This was due to the dealer enabling the bike for workshop time/road testing, which gives X number of days of operation. If it is not enabled for a customer a second time then the bike shuts down.

I think the 2015-2016 SDR fixed a lot of the problems the 2014 had (Wheel hub bearing, fuel tank design, oil seeping). Time will tell with the 2017, and that's a risk you take with buying a new model early on. To be fair though, mechanical and electrical failures occur in lot's of new bikes across all the brands.

Anyway, today a big Evotech Performance box arrived :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah well that's really good to know.

Yeah Evotech make some great add-ons. I put £500 worth of it in my basket yesterday for the SDR just out of interest :p

Soldato
OP
Spent a fair few hours putting Evotech parts on today :D High quality stuff, the tail tidy took the longest to sort out but so worth it with totalling invisible cabling.

Back
Top Bottom