BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

V F

V F

Soldato
isn't fibre on demand the one you have to pay for labour etc yourself?

native FTTP shows as just FTTP available

Erm, mine says just FTTP that is available. So, as I said how does this work as I've not seen or at least paid attention to any poles near me.

Soldato
A friend has the same problem his upload is just under 1Mbps, BT said to him they can not guarantee upload speeds.

He had to keep moaning gaming is unplayable so far he has had 4 engineers out another 2 didn't turn up still not fixed they even tried blaming the hg612 so sent him new homehub still not fixed this process has gone on for over two months.

That's not good! They didn't send an engineer out last week in the end, I phoned the night before to query something and they said the appointment hadn't been confirmed by the person I'd spoken to the first time, then said I wouldn't need an appointment as they'd fix it on their side. Turns out they can't, so they're now coming tomorrow.

Caporegime
Erm, mine says just FTTP that is available. So, as I said how does this work as I've not seen or at least paid attention to any poles near me.

I'd be amazed if you were in an FTTC area now and also had FTTP (not on-demand) available. If you put your details into the checker on BT's retail website (e.g. go through the order process for Infinity) it will show you the options.

Soldato
Hey there,

I've had a second line installed since March and finding it isn't particularly stable whereas the first line is completely fine.

Sync stats differ a fair bit too.
Line 1: Download 13Mbps / Upload 2Mbps
Line 2: Download 18Mbps / Upload 0.5Mbps.

Assuming the intermittent dropping is an issue with the SmartHub (which is the all-in-one- no openreach box required), can I just replace the SmartHub with an openreach modem and router combo? i.e. Huawei HG612 ? Or any other suggested models?

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
Yes you can. Budget? Why do you have two lines, do you want to do dual WAN on one router?

Ah great, no particular budget but don't require anything fancy. I've got the HG612 and ASUS N66U on the other line which I'd be happy to go for again.

Have two lines, one for my own dedicated use for work/gaming, and the other for the rest of house devices, TVs, laptops, tablets etc which cause havoc on latency.

Nah, happy to keep them separate.

Soldato
I've had a couple of months now where BT have messed up my bill, which should be £29.99 a month for 12 months.

As a result of this they will be reducing it to £27.99 a month for 12 months. Decent enough customer service I guess.

Associate
I've recently moved house, the cabinet I should connect to is full and i've joined the waiting list for it. Is there any way of finding out some sort of ETA for FTTC availability? My current line is ~3.5Mbs
I don't have access to virgin and FTTP isnt available either, is there anything I can do or is it just a case of waiting for a slot in the cabinet? I have others near me but i suspect that im not wired to them

After just under a month of daily checking I've managed to get fttc ordered. By the looks of it I've got the only slot in the cabinet.
Had settled myself for a long wait but it's been rather quick!

Soldato
BT was supposed to connect me yesterday, get a purple light (cable not connected) new cable arrived this morning, still a purple light.

Call again today and the lady does some basic tests and passes me onto an engineer department guy, who ignored everything she told him. He needs to run some tests on the line, not a problem, so I give him my mobile number snd hang up. He calls me just to put me on hold for 5 mins, then hang up!

Not filling me with confidence BT, 2 days in and I'm not even connected, waiting for an engineer slot :| And stop asking if I'm sure the phone lines works, I'm calling you on it!

Soldato
That's not good! They didn't send an engineer out last week in the end, I phoned the night before to query something and they said the appointment hadn't been confirmed by the person I'd spoken to the first time, then said I wouldn't need an appointment as they'd fix it on their side. Turns out they can't, so they're now coming tomorrow.

The upload speed woes continue. Engineer came, couldn't find an issue, said it would need to be escalated to BT Wholesale. Contacted BT that day who were marking the fault as fixed, they initially seemed reluctant to do that as they "don't guarantee upload speed anyway", but eventually they said someone from BT Wholesale would contact me within the next two days. Three days later, called BT again to chase it up and stop the fault from again being marked as closed. It's now been escalated to the next level where I've got a single point of contact who is dealing with the fault from here. Been through all the tests with him today, they still can't figure out what the issue is so a BT Wholesale engineer is going to visit on Tuesday.

I've tried new cables, I've tried a different HomeHub, still the same issue. It has to be on their side but I'm getting the impression they won't spend much more time looking into it after this. :(

Soldato
Anyone here who works for BT/ Openreach?

Having trouble actually figuring out what the hell is going on (if anything). Moved into a new build 9 months ago, with fibre broadband supposedly being available. Turns out it wasn't. Some houses on the estate have fibre, others do not. However was assured this would be remedied.

After months of checking/ chasing I keep getting differing statements. One is that fibre is not on it's way and we are not part of any roll out plans. The other is that we are part of the FTTP PON Project roll out that is due for completion in mid 2018.

Seems no one knows what is going on at BT/ Openreach. Superfast Essex will not help us out as we are a new estate and should have fibre already...

Sigh.

Back
Top Bottom