Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Soldato
some favourable comments on their ch7 blend
but why can't they be upfront on shipping costs ? if you do not live in Exeter (or maybe riding the Giro)

[ hope these folks realise they live or die by standard of web site - shopify, typekit, google-analytics toolkits lol
... but if the likes of Waitrose fails to render from time to time what hope for the rest. - should not need 16GB RAM to buy coffee - Keep It Simple - end of rant ]

Soldato
Came through to me from Extract coffee on their mailing list. I gave it a go and its stunning for a summers day ; just need a summers day now
COFFEE TONIC
Coffee Tonics are set to be hot this year. They have been gradually increasing in popularity and for a coffee drinker who doesn’t want to go down the sweet route on a hot day, this is the perfect drink. Just combine good-quality tonic and ice in a glass leaving enough room to slowly pour over a double espresso. Garnish with a slice of lemon or add a hint of citrus which really compliments the flavours. Refreshing and light, this is our drink of the summer. Try it, we think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Soldato
Sounds like a fizzy iced-coffee? :p

EDIT: I have to say I've always been a sucker for the Starbucks frapuccinos. That said, when it was warm last weekend I got one and was totally disappointed by how non-sweet and creamy it was! I think they've unfortunately paid attention to all the grief about them being 2000 calories or whatever they are and dialled it down a lot :confused:

Shame, unlike a lot of the population that shovel them down 4 times a week, I rarely have them and enjoy the ridiculous sweetness, whipped cream etc (even though I always just have coffee flavoured)- just every now and again. Coming from a 'proper' coffee fan it's a bit of a guilty pleasure. But that one I had was just meh :o:(

Caporegime
I have the odd Starbuck, twice a month. Don't apologise for it and I enjoy it. I love their frap too, it's a treat and it is a treat considering it is so calorific.

When I am no holiday I always go to Starbucks...the reason being they are consistent across the globe in their taste, it might not be amazing coffee but I find it perfectly acceptable. Besides, my go to drink there is a Vanilla Soya Latte, you can use the best beans and it won't make much difference with the soya and vanilla flavour masking it all.

Caporegime
Associate
I need some advice on what to upgrade next with my coffee paraphernalia!

I have a small mokka pot, an aeropress, a krups milk frother (about £100) and a delonghi burr grinder (basic one £35 on the rainforest).

I can make a pretty good flat white (in my humble opinion!), but as ever I want more. I alternate between the MP and the AP, week with one of them and vice versa.

To take things up a notch where shall I start, better grinder? Get a Sage machine? or something else?
Every now and again I'll get a flat white somewhere which blows me away and I want to be able to do this at home (or get closer to it)
Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Associate
I'd say natural progression is on to a Gaggia or a Rancilio silvia and the like.

Thanks for that I'll take a look. Are they the 2 brands/machines of choice currently? I had been looking at the Sage machine at £549.00, it 'looks' good, but I don't actually know whether it is or whether it's worth the extra money over a Silvia? The Gaggia range is massive, any recommendations?

If I spent that sort of money on a machine would I need a better grinder to get the best out of it?
I know the Sage has an integrated grinder but I've know idea whether it's up to the job compared to a separate one. If a better grinder is a good call I'll do that first, just so I don't have a drop too much money in one go.

Is a Baratza Virtuoso overkill?

Associate
I have the Sage machine and am very pleased with it. Whether it is better than the Gaggia etc I don't know as I have never used both.

The integrated grinder is good with a range of controls to be able to dial in what you need. The milk frother takes a bit of getting used to but then that is half the fun. Once you have cracked it it is like a coffee shop one.

It also looks smart and is easy to maintain. Overall I am really glad I bought it.

Soldato
for those watching the Giro - The choice of the professional peloton
Rocket Espresso: the coffee machine of the WorldTour

I had been looking at the Sage machine at £549.00
getting the sage duo pro ~£300 and
Is a Baratza Virtuoso overkill?
is more flexible and similar cost/quality.
I have a small mokka pot, an aeropress, a krups milk frother (about £100)
and will probbaly find you can sell on the frother - wow they are not cheap !

but the budget for coffee becomes the big player
(I don't know if the ratio between the cost of a car and the petrol/insurance/rt/maintenance can compare)

Associate
Thanks for the pointers, much appreciated.

So what's the general consensus? With a budget of £550 would I better spending it all on the Sage and either using the integrated grinder (or the delonghi I have now)

Or

Buy the Duo or the Rancilio and spend the difference of £200 on a better grinder? What will make a better cup of coffee? Strong flat white is my go to coffee.

I'd sell the frother on (will get £50 for it), one less gadget on the kitchen counter top is always a good thing!

Thanks!

aMb

aMb

Associate
I'd spend as much as you can on the grinder as this will have the biggest impact on what you can produce. The integrated grinder in the Sage would be a step up on what you have now, but unless you are sold on having a single integrated machine I'd be inclined to buy the Sage Duo and then get a separate grinder. For the grinder something like the Eureka Mignon or Compak K3 would be good if you can find that within budget.

Caporegime
I have the odd Starbuck, twice a month. Don't apologise for it and I enjoy it. I love their frap too, it's a treat and it is a treat considering it is so calorific.

When I am no holiday I always go to Starbucks...the reason being they are consistent across the globe in their taste, it might not be amazing coffee but I find it perfectly acceptable. Besides, my go to drink there is a Vanilla Soya Latte, you can use the best beans and it won't make much difference with the soya and vanilla flavour masking it all.

I agree, I always want to go to little coffee shops. But the amount I've been to when the coffee is horrible and I know starbucks, albiet not amazing, it's always acceptable and always tastes the same.

Soldato
For the grinder something like the Eureka Mignon or Compak K3 would be good if you can find that within budget.

the
Eureka Mignon Mk 2 Instantaneous Grinder Auto/Manual - Red

is rather nice, albeit £280, but might up-stage the Sage, solid re-sale,other-half approval too, (kitchen door is closed - Rocky is not as pretty )

Liking the http://www.theespressoshop.co.uk web site, need some cosumables puly caff/gasket/burrs. - some interesting cups too http://www.theespressoshop.co.uk/en/Cups-Mugs-and-Glasses/c-16.aspx, might throw in some beans too.

Associate
So between the Sage Duo and the Sage Barista Express what is the difference between the 2 models, other than the grinder?

I'm sold on the idea of a good separate grinder (Baratza Virtuoso, Sage Pro Grinder or a Eureka, which tbc) but unless I'm blind I can't see much difference between the 2 espresso machines other than the obvious.

All things being equal does the more expensive one make better coffee? From what I've read I'm guessing not with a good grinder?

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
You won't have as much control with the Barista express and if either the grinder or the machine goes wrong you potentially have to replace the whole thing. If you want to upgrade your grinder (which everyone seems to suggest will be a good idea unless you have a seriously good one) you might be better off with a machine that doesn't have an integrated one.

Back
Top Bottom