Walking Snowdon - Rhyd Ddu

TS7

TS7

Soldato
Hi,

Just received email from my friend who's organising a climb in August. He's chosen the the Rhyd Du path which from a bit of googling seems to be the easiest path.

I've not done any claiming before and he's sent a link for some Merrel boots. I don't plan to do any climbing subsuquently so spending £80 on some hideously ugly boots feels overkill however I don't want to be underprepared. So is proper footwear necessary for the said trail?

http://snowdon-walks.co.uk/self-guided-walks/snowdon-via-rhyd-ddu-path/

Any other tips? As we are all first time climbers. We do a lot of walking/rambling/exploring so fitness as such isn't the concern. It's more the actual climbing / hiking.

Thanks

Caporegime
I would never describe going up snowden by the easy trail a "climb". Did it several times as a kid in trainers though would recommend good walking boots.

Soldato
it's pretty easy to be honest, the problem is if it's wet or muddy, anything other than a solid pair of walking boots will get wrecked quite easily,

Also, it's absolutely RAMMED with people doing the three peaks challenge, the hardest part about climbing the damn hill is finding somewhere to park, so totally factor that into your trip, all carparks in the entire vicinity were rammed and overflowing before 7-8am on a weekend.

Associate
Have a look on Go Outdoors - boots start at £30.00 and they will be fine.

I like to use a walking pole - helps the knees and makes you more stable, other wise a small day sack with a water proof jacket should always taken.

Man of Honour
Any reasonably solid footwear will do for that path aslong as you have a bit of grip. Make sure you are prepared for both extremes weather wise though - up mountains can go from freezing and deluging rain to hot and sunny in almost an instant and so many people get caught unprepared.

Back
Top Bottom