Poll: Spanish Grand Prix 2017, Catalunya - Race 5/20

Rate the 2017 Spanish Grand Prix

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
The problem is DRS only exists because of the chronic aero and the difficulty cars have following each other. So it was introduced to enable the driver behind to get past the driver in front by means of having less drag. The only problem is, sometimes its too effective... I've seen late 90's-200x races where a car has steamed up behind another car lapping a second or two faster but once they got in the dirty air of the car in front it was game over and they couldnt get past for love nor money. It was almost like they'd hit a wall. DRS was the sticky plaster... Hopefully with the next iteration of the rules aero will actually be looked at and cars designed that can follow and slipstream without the need for DRS. Maybe this is something the new owners will be able to bring?

Caporegime
The problem is DRS only exists because of the chronic aero and the difficulty cars have following each other. So it was introduced to enable the driver behind to get past the driver in front by means of having less drag. The only problem is, sometimes its too effective... I've seen late 90's-200x races where a car has steamed up behind another car lapping a second or two faster but once they got in the dirty air of the car in front it was game over and they couldnt get past for love nor money. It was almost like they'd hit a wall. DRS was the sticky plaster... Hopefully with the next iteration of the rules aero will actually be looked at and cars designed that can follow and slipstream without the need for DRS. Maybe this is something the new owners will be able to bring?

Given the backwards direction taken with this year's changes, I'm not hopeful.

Soldato
Given the backwards direction taken with this year's changes, I'm not hopeful.

I'd like to think if Ross Braun is actually the guy who will be creating the rules it will happen. However the teams and other various bodies seem to have some input in this process so it may not be smooth sailing...

The other problem with this years changes were that overtaking wasnt even considered. They wanted the whole 3 seconds a lap quicker, look more appealing/agressive etc. Overtaking/following cars didnt come into it unfortunately. :( (Despite many experts and technical guys saying that overtaking/following would be harder)

Soldato
I don't think you can reduce the aero too much. One of the draws of Formula 1 is that they are the fastest race cars in the world. If you take too much aero off them they will end up slower than LMP1 cars.

Last edited:
Soldato
What's this about Lewis dropping a water bottle this year to save weight, according to the Autosport headline? It could explain why he sounded fatigued at Barcelona, during the race radio messages.

Associate
I can't say I remember it. Something about team orders between Hamilton and Rosberg?

No it was your comment on DRS. Remember that race was exciting because of the duel between both Mercs but that duel only came about because Nico used DRS each time to get close enough to attack Lewis. So I would not slate DRS. It is not brilliant but until F1 changes its prime focus to close racing we will need DRS to assist in allowing overtakes or at least allowing the car behind to get close enough to try an overtake. Otherwise we are left with boring races.

Soldato
What's this about Lewis dropping a water bottle this year to save weight, according to the Autosport headline? It could explain why he sounded fatigued at Barcelona, during the race radio messages.
I believe so far it was just for this race, maybe he felt he could do it and wanted to see how it would feel without it.
Everyone sounded pretty gassed in the cars though I guess pushing a good bit more than usual.

smr

smr

Soldato
thought magnussons radio was funniest - his engineer was in a right state and telling kevin to calm down when kevin was as calm as anything, brilliant :D

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Still doesn't beat "Felipe baby" :D

Overall, I don't mind the racing being tactical (i.e. Passing in the pits) providing when the track position allows they can do it on track too.

Man of Honour
I see now that some of the press are saying it was a epic battle. It's a sad state of affairs when a few laps of close driving is classed as epic. Epic would be car's battling for the lead at every lap. Are people really excited by less these days? :(

Soldato
I see now that some of the press are saying it was a epic battle. It's a sad state of affairs when a few laps of close driving is classed as epic. Epic would be car's battling for the lead at every lap. Are people really excited by less these days? :(

The bar was set extraordinarily low by the previous races. But even then this one wasn't massively exciting! :D

Associate
Watched the full race highlights this evening. Much better race than previous ones so far . Shame kimi and max out at first corner . At least Alonso has one finish under his belt

Soldato
Not sure I agree with skipping water to save weight. They sweat so much in those overalls it can't be healthy to not keep fluids up. Should make water bottle mandatory.
totally agree - and I also cant see it really making that much difference

Water bottles arent that heavy surely - even when full (ie the fuel depreciation during the race is surely going to be a much bigger effect than any normal amount of water carried for the driver)

Soldato
totally agree - and I also cant see it really making that much difference

Water bottles arent that heavy surely - even when full (ie the fuel depreciation during the race is surely going to be a much bigger effect than any normal amount of water carried for the driver)

Could also be down to the Merc being 6kg's over weight at the start of the season which they've been chipping away at each race. So maybe thats him doing his bit? I think i'd rather have the water myself. Being dehydrated can't be good in such a situation where you need to be able to make decisions really quick and be alert and aware. :o

Back
Top Bottom