• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX960 4K Playback issues

Suspended
I've downloaded a number of MP4 4K sample videos, however it seems impossible to play them without constant stuttering.

Tried a number of different players but nothing seems to make any difference, playback on my main system seems fine however.

Main specs for HTPC, I don't see why it would be struggling so much.

i7 920
6GB RAM
500GB Samsung SSD
Gigabyte motherboard (I forget what it's called)

Soldato
I take it you've tried Kodi and configured it correctly in the advanced settings?
Kodi and h.265/h.264 with a 960 should be flawless with 4k decoding.

Associate
I've downloaded a number of MP4 4K sample videos, however it seems impossible to play them without constant stuttering.

Tried a number of different players but nothing seems to make any difference, playback on my main system seems fine however.

Main specs for HTPC, I don't see why it would be struggling so much.

i7 920
6GB RAM
500GB Samsung SSD
Gigabyte motherboard (I forget what it's called)

maybe a drivers problem? are you running the latest?

Suspended
OP
I take it you've tried Kodi and configured it correctly in the advanced settings?
Kodi and h.265/h.264 with a 960 should be flawless with 4k decoding.

Kodi stutters, please enlighten me how one goes about setting it up correctly? there aren't that many options.

maybe a drivers problem? are you running the latest?

Latest drivers are installed.

Soldato
Which version of Kodi did you try? As they have moved acceleration settings in the later one.

In the System Settings menu there the toggle for advanced and expert settings level at bottom left of the screen, default is basic this needs to be expert I think.
Under Video output menu there should be an acceleration menu, just check over the settings to see if hardware is enabled for decode and that relevant file formats are selected .

Do the 4k samples have a high bit-rate or dts audio codec? As you ou might need to configure the sound setup especially if outputting high bit-rate audio over hdmi straight to a tv, or to an av amp.

Suspended
OP
Which version of Kodi did you try? As they have moved acceleration settings in the later one.

In the System Settings menu there the toggle for advanced and expert settings level at bottom left of the screen, default is basic this needs to be expert I think.
Under Video output menu there should be an acceleration menu, just check over the settings to see if hardware is enabled for decode and that relevant file formats are selected .

Do the 4k samples have a high bit-rate or dts audio codec? As you ou might need to configure the sound setup especially if outputting high bit-rate audio over hdmi straight to a tv, or to an av amp.

It's version 17.1.

Yes, the bitrate is pretty high at 29.8Mb/s and the audio is DTS.

Acceleration was enabled by default, if I never knew better I would say it looked like it was struggling to keep up with the playback, it's buffering quite a lot even though the files are on the Samsung SSD.

Suspended
OP
Anyone got any ideas? I've tried MPC, Potplayer, VLC, Kodi.

Doesn't seem to make any difference which one I use, the result is always the same.

Associate
I had this issue and just uninstalled all codec packs went with Media player classic and it was fine after that, vlc was using its own codec rather than the hardware solution on the gpu

Back
Top Bottom