Ecoboost / Ecoflex engines

Soldato
Yeah it's coming with the 48V stuff. Mercedes seem to have the lead on that with the motor integrated in the gearbox

Something you may be able to answer: Why aren't the efficient engine designs used in hybrids (e.g. Atkinson cycle) more often used in non-hybrid cars? This should see improved economy (over a conventional engine) combined with lower cost, lower weight, more room than a hybrid car.

Soldato
Something you may be able to answer: Why aren't the efficient engine designs used in hybrids (e.g. Atkinson cycle) more often used in non-hybrid cars? This should see improved economy (over a conventional engine) combined with lower cost, lower weight, more room than a hybrid car.
It is because the Atkinson cycle improves fuel efficiency at the expense of power. Therefore when combined with a hybrid unit they work well as the electrical element can fill the gaps in power delivery.

IIRC engines like the Mazda Skyactive units switch to the Atkinson cycle during low load scenarios to improve economy.

Soldato
I'm currently back at Jennings Ford with my coolant issue. Checked this morning and noticed a few spots of coolant close to the coolant tank, felt underneath the tank and it was damp. I suspected a hairline crack. Phoned Jennings Ford manager who dealt with me the the other day and his response was "well we checked it all over and filled it back up" I said well it's back to minimum now and it's clearly leaking. They've just checked it and confirmed a hairline crack underneath the tank so no way was my car thoroughly checked over. Absolutely appalling service department at Jennings Middlesbrough. Once this is sorted I'm sending off a written complaint to head office to try and get some answers as twice it could have gone horribly wrong.

Associate
I'm currently back at Jennings Ford with my coolant issue. Checked this morning and noticed a few spots of coolant close to the coolant tank, felt underneath the tank and it was damp. I suspected a hairline crack. Phoned Jennings Ford manager who dealt with me the the other day and his response was "well we checked it all over and filled it back up" I said well it's back to minimum now and it's clearly leaking. They've just checked it and confirmed a hairline crack underneath the tank so no way was my car thoroughly checked over. Absolutely appalling service department at Jennings Middlesbrough. Once this is sorted I'm sending off a written complaint to head office to try and get some answers as twice it could have gone horribly wrong.

I must say that sounds like awe service and I hope your complaint gets you somewhere mate.

Just to add to the discussion, I have a 1.6 Ecoboost 150bhp petrol and when I checked the MPG calculator on the dash this evening from the last half tank of fuel I have used (I have half left) I am on 44.2mpg. Seems pretty good to me. My Daily journey to work is 6 miles or so across country lanes and one main A road. I get 100 miles out of each quarter tank or 400 miles from the tank at that rate, although I haven't ran it right down till the light comes on.

Soldato
It is because the Atkinson cycle improves fuel efficiency at the expense of power. Therefore when combined with a hybrid unit they work well as the electrical element can fill the gaps in power delivery.

Should be adequate for a small-mid size car that doesn't have to lug a big motor and a load of batteries around with it I'd have thought. The Toyota 1.8 VVTi in the Prius makes around 100bhp.

Soldato

Transient throttle is the typical reason. That said if you move to Miller with the overexpansion phase of exhaust the supercharger covers that. Dieselgate might finally see the appetite for HCCI petrols.

Associate
Just to add to the discussion, I have a 1.6 Ecoboost 150bhp petrol and when I checked the MPG calculator on the dash this evening from the last half tank of fuel I have used (I have half left) I am on 44.2mpg. Seems pretty good to me. My Daily journey to work is 6 miles or so across country lanes and one main A road. I get 100 miles out of each quarter tank or 400 miles from the tank at that rate, although I haven't ran it right down till the light comes on.
Have the same engine in my focus and tend to average 40 - 42 mpg and just over 400 miles to a tank. Mostly a 30 mile round trip to work each day up and down hills, although all that may change after Saturday having it remapped :D So be interesting to see the change.

Associate
Have the same engine in my focus and tend to average 40 - 42 mpg and just over 400 miles to a tank. Mostly a 30 mile round trip to work each day up and down hills, although all that may change after Saturday having it remapped :D So be interesting to see the change.

To get 400 miles out of the tank do you run the petrol right down till he light comes on or just short of that happening? Our MPG figures are very close indeed, pretty happy with it really have to say, what do you think to the figures? I have 2 hills on my journey cross country too, one gradual climb, and one sharp rise. Would love to hear more and understand the results and the differences you notice following the remap! Who are you having it done with?

Soldato
Do people still panic when a fuel light comes on, despite the fact the car will tell you it's still got circa 40miles worth at that point?

Don't get me wrong I don't run around scraping the miles to go barrel but if I'm about to drive to work (circa 20 miles) and the car says it's got 40 left I just.....drive to work

Associate
Do people still panic when a fuel light comes on, despite the fact the car will tell you it's still got circa 40miles worth at that point?

Don't get me wrong I don't run around scraping the miles to go barrel but if I'm about to drive to work (circa 20 miles) and the car says it's got 40 left I just.....drive to work

LOL, just incase that was aimed at my comment above, no i don't. It was just asked for the purposes of finding out how far @elbulus runs his tank down to achieve just over 400 miles.

Soldato

I never used to then I had the pleasure of a mk3 Focus as a company car with the yo-yo fuel gauge and the trip computer that jumps up when you start the car then drops as much as 7 or 8 miles per mile driven. Thankfully that is someone elses problem now :p

Associate
@antc I tend to fill up not long after the light has come on. Main thing i noticed that made the car feel different was putting premium fuel in, It got rid of a slight judder i noticed at low speeds, Will let you know about the remap which is being done by DRS Cornwall, Looked into the remap a lot and Ben at DRS has a lot of recommendations and experience with the ecoboost engines so seemed like the best choice.

Associate
Just filled up, light hadn't come on yet but it wouldn't have been long until it did. 341 miles at 36.03mpg.

What car/engine do you have?

@antc I tend to fill up not long after the light has come on. Main thing i noticed that made the car feel different was putting premium fuel in, It got rid of a slight judder i noticed at low speeds, Will let you know about the remap which is being done by DRS Cornwall, Looked into the remap a lot and Ben at DRS has a lot of recommendations and experience with the ecoboost engines so seemed like the best choice.

Haven't tried premium fuel in mine yet, just the standard shell petrol. I used to use the premium in my old Mondoe ST though and noticed a slight difference in that. Look forward to hearing about the remap.

Caporegime
Aha cool, the more powerful version of mine then. I couldn't find one in the spec I wanted when I looked. Mines a Titanium X.
Sadly only a Zetec S. Would have liked a Titanium X but preferred the looks of the Zetec S. Shame I'm missing a few toys I'd have liked.

Back
Top Bottom