• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen Opinions

Associate
For those who have made the switch from Intel to AMD, what are your thoughts? Gaming performance in particular I am interested in from the 1700 overclocked I know current games are not fully utilising the additional cores but hopefully that will change. Feedback and comments welcome :)

Soldato
I play bf1 and bf4 mainly. Playing 64 player bf1 at 1080p my gpu is maxed out with my 1700 cpu at about 30% with cpu temp in low fifties on the stock cooler. I get 100 to 144fps, normally nearer 144, fps limted to 144 refresh rate of my monitor. In bf4 higher fps.

Both games make full use of available cores. Also anything starts up in the background while gaming it has little if any impact. On a quad core losing a core or more in game to anything in the background causes fps to dive.

Machine is completely stable for my needs and currently runs 3200 ram @2933, won't currently boot set to 3200.

Soldato
Upgraded my other half's rig from an i7 860 to a Ryzen 1600 at 3.9GHz, blows it out of the water completely. I benched it against my 6700k at 4.6GHz and it thrashes it in multicore performance.

Associate
Very happy with my move to a 1700 1080p.

Granted I was coming from a 2500k @ 4.5, but performance in BF1 is greatly improved and maxxes out my 1070 so I set it to 110% resolution scale for a bit more eye candy.

Aside from the cold-boot annoyances with memory speeds, I'm very happy.

Associate
OP
Excellent comments. Thanks so far.. It is very interesting to read that re BF1 and BF4 too. I plan on gaming at just over 1080p. SOld my PC in November which was running a 4790k at 4.6 stable with 8GB ram. I must admit, I am swaying towards the Ryzen platform.

Soldato
Gone from a 3770k @ 4.6ghz, to a Ryzen 1700 @ 3.9ghz. Slight downgrade on single core performance, but the pc feels smoother and got a few hundred higher 3dmark score :p;)

Seems to take ages to post/boot windows however. Almost as bad as my other system with a mechanical drive!

Associate
Went from a 4790k to a 1800X, slightly slower single core performance which is disappointing, but for newer games and programs that make use of multiple cores the difference is huge.

Still plenty of BIOS issues out there but hopefully most of these will be fixed eventually. Overall I really love the performance of this chip and can't wait for newer games and current games to optimise for it.

Boot time is definitely slower than my 4790k and Z97 Deluxe, from BIOS to the desktop is twice as long but again hopefully BIOS updates will boost this a bit.

Z97 BIOS boot time according to task manager was about 7.9 secs, now it's 15.6 secs. All hardware is the same apart from the board, CPU and RAM.

Soldato
Not sure about slow Windows boot times but presumably BIOS POSTs will improve with future updates (and maybe already has)? It doesn't surprise me that it's not optimised on a brand new platform. X58 took forever to boot and that doesn't even use UEFI!

Soldato
For those who have made the switch from Intel to AMD, what are your thoughts?
I switched from a 4930K with 32GB DDR3-1600 on a ASUS Rampage IV Gene to a 1700X with 32GB DDR4-3200 on a Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5. I currently have my RAM sat at 2666MHz because RAM overclocking is a bit finicky with the current BIOSes but it's getting better all the time, as it stands everything worked flawlessly out of the box though. Gaming wise the added smoothness from the increased minimums is really nice, not something I expected and one of those "don't appreciate it till you have it" kinda things.

In addition the support for newer standards like U.2 (motherboard specific) is great as it gives an upgrade path for storage, the dual NICs (motherboard specific) also work great, and the overall feature set improvements over X79 are loverly (of course this would be true of X99 too, but then that has half the price/performance of the Ryzen setup lol).

I personally made the change from a 1700 to a ryzen.
AMD have come a long way in 16 years ;P

Soldato
Basically a copy and paste from an earlier post of mine:

Specs:

1800X @ 4GHz
Corsair H110i
32GB Corsair Vengeance LED 3200MHz @ 2666MHz
ASUS ROG Crosshair VI
512GB Samsung 960 PRO M2
1TB Samsung 850 PRO SATA
nVidia 1080TI
Corsair AX860
Corsair C70

First of all, what a messy release. I have to commend ASUS for all the hard work they're doing to build on the CH6 with the community, great work. Hopefully we'll see great improvements after the next AGESA update. A shout-out to HWiNFO too, as they have been working close to get the temperature confusion under control.

I am running BIOS 1001 on the CH6 still, simply because I find it flawless except where POST speed and the memory is concerned. I'm not willing to faff with it any more to maybe get the 32GB above 2666MHz. 16GB i can run at 3200MHz if I want, that's easy. I will wait until after the next AGESA update before upgrading the BIOS.

Things are smooth and quick, easily noticeably so over my 3930K @ 4.4GHz. The black magic in upping the minimum FPS in games is incredible in some cases. Churning out files in Ableton is lightning and general production is tip-top.

Things are also dead quiet and cool, the H110i is keeping the chip lovely and cool with fans down low. The 1800X helps as the voltage is well under 1.4v (currently 1.355v) to achieve 4GHz, so I have no regrets jumping for the 1800X whilst most others went for the 1700.

I will continue to run as it is until AGESA 1.0.0.6 (currently on original AGESA) and keep an eye on the development. I've been using it full-chuff since release and whilst things can and will be better, it's certainly not as bad as some may think or say it is in my opinion. So despite the niggles, rush and requirement of patience; Thanks AMD and welcome back.

Soldato
it was more want than need

same here, i just WANTED to try it. I waited for the initial hype/stock issues to die down and buggy bios's to be fixed before jumping ship.

All they need to do now is get those ghz up to around 4.5-5ghz and it will be a intel killer.

This is interesting to read, makes me think it's worth hanging onto my 4770k

its not an upgrade that's going to blow you away, unless you multi task a lot. But then even a 7700k isn't going to be much of an upgrade from a 4770k

Soldato
I'm happy with my 1700.

Only issues are:

1. Occasionally when I boot my SSD disappears, a restart or two solves this or a reset to defaults in bios.
2. Ram. DOCP profile doesn't work at present. Supposedly they are working on it via bios updates. Waiting.
3. It's going to take a little bit of time to start seeing games utilize more than 8 threads across the board.

Back
Top Bottom