Dead drive?

Associate
I got a new case so swapped everything over to the new chassis but my secondary 3TB Seagate Barracuda is missing. Bios was also showing it missing so I checked the cables, replace the sata and power, no joy, even tried the connections the SSD was using and still nothing.

Any ideas of other things to try? I've an external caddy coming tomorrow to open up some more options, but hoping its not gone, just checking the receipt it is just over 4 years old now.

Apparently the S3000DM001 had a really high failure rate....so it could have gone :( Seagate's warranty checking site is not working, as it's 4 years old would OCUK still look into it for me or is it only direct now?

Last edited:
Soldato
it sounds like the drive maybe dead, can you hear anything from the HDD when its powering up at all?

I don't think OCUK will do anything with the HDD due to it being 4 years old and any issues would be going through Seagate.

you have tried the basics like new sata cable, different port etc

Associate
OP
Yeah tried a new cable, including the one that was working with the SSD and also into a new port which again worked for the SSD.

I didn't think they would, but with seagates website not allowing me to check the warranty wasn't sure on options.

Thankfully the photos are synced with OneDrive so it's "just" my media I may have lost. First drive failure for me in 15+ years of building my own machines, time for a NAS mayhaps....

Soldato
Done well to only loose one drive, I haven't had a hdd fail in a long time to be honest.

Had one internal hdd die and a wd passport but had nothing important in them.

Associate
OP
100% dead. Plugged into caddy and not showing up, tried new drive in the same caddy and it popped straight away.

It does get listed in device manager, and I can feel it vibrating, but won't come up in disk manager.

Thanks god for cloud storage for the photos, time to recover the media where I can :( Will try and contact Seagate and see if they'd be willing to do anything about the drive...4 years isn't bad I guess but if this drive had a known high failure rate they might be more willing to help me out.

Back
Top Bottom