Case Suggestion (my build inside)

Associate
Hi Guys,

Here is all the specs of my current system, could someone suggest a better case? I know most people probably love the NXZT H440 but in my honest opinion airflow kinda sucks.

My tower is currently sat in a massive cupboard with the front sound proofing panel taken off and the door open the majority of the time (this cupboard does have air flow and honestly is massive its basically like keeping it in a separate room and has holes in the wall where wires are ran through.

I'm also wondering if I change case should I go for an AIO cooler on my CPU? Running everything stock atm. no OC at all but after looking around online I'm tempted to start looking but wanted to have a better case / AIO cpu cooler in place first :)

- Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
- Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7 Motherboard
- Devils Canyon Core i7 4790K CPU
- Samsung 1.0TB 850 EVO SSD
- XFX XTR 850W '80 Plus Gold' Fully Modular Power Supply
- TeamGroup Vulcan RED 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-19200C11 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit
- NZXT H440 Mid Tower Case - Black / Red
- ACX EVGA CPU cooler, Black - 120 mm
- 2 x Dell Ultrasharp U2515H 1440P (Only ever use 1 for playing games, and both when multitasking.

Associate
OP
Well I was considering OC'ing my CPU then possibly doing the same with the RAM, and may eventually upgrade components with a new mobo, ddr4 memory and a 1080ti gfx card but for the moment my concern was more for getting the heat down, as when im gaming on Player unknown battlegrounds, or CS:GO my temps are hitting around 70-80+ sometimes which seems odd right?

Associate
OP
Depends on what you want to achieve.

Corsair make pretty good cases, like the crystal 570x.

But like I say it depends on what you want to do.

the above comment is also including the fact I have my standard fans all plugged into the h440's internal fan hub, which basically lets you set one speed to all fans I think? so I just set these to 100%, and my gpu has its own custom ramp for the fans that once its hitting 70-75+ it should be at 95-100% speed too?

Associate
I think the 980ti gets a little warm but better airflow might help, the 4790k has the issue with the TIM (good old intel). I wouldn't go over 80 on the cpu so you might be a bit limited on your overclock, you might get more from a AIO cooler than a new case. The H440 seems like it is a bit restrictive. If you open the side panel do you get better temperatures. if not then a case wont make a lot of difference?

Associate
OP
I think the 980ti gets a little warm but better airflow might help, the 4790k has the issue with the TIM (good old intel). I wouldn't go over 80 on the cpu so you might be a bit limited on your overclock, you might get more from a AIO cooler than a new case. The H440 seems like it is a bit restrictive. If you open the side panel do you get better temperatures. if not then a case wont make a lot of difference?

I'll give this a try tonight, won't this help dust settle inside though? or shall I just remove it for an hour or two to give it a test and see what happens with temps? :)

also currently I've removed the front cover panel the fans have dust filters there, and the little holes around the front that the front pops into I just covered with tape that seems to of helped airflow already!

Associate
OP
Some of the new phanteks cases are lovely - especially the tempered glass versions. Also, take a look at InWin. 303 I think.

Any recommendations Rockcliffe? I have no preference to the size of my case tbh so large or small I don't care as long as the airflows good :)

Associate
OP

Also matty can you recommend an AIO CPU Cooler? noise isn't really going to be a massive issue as since the temps are the same sat in my room for the pc as they are in the cupboard I may aswell keep it in the cupboard as I can't hear it in there as its a very large cupboard but obviously out of the way, and cables are ran through the wall :)

Associate
Save yourself some cash and keep your H440 and install an AiO.

Corsair H100i v2, NZXT X52 or X62, Fractal Design S24 (Celcius (just released)) are all solid choices.

The ID-Cooling Frostflow 240 is also a good choice (and pretty cheap compared to others).

I have a H440 with a Corsair 100i v2 cooling my 6800K and it idles at around 30c, sits around 39c while gaming and I've only ever seen it hit 60c while totally stress testing it. And it's overclocked to 4.4GHz by the way.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Man that case is gorgeous!

Save yourself some cash and keep your H440 and install an AiO.

Corsair H100i v2, NZXT X52 or X62, Fractal Design S24 (Celcius (just released)) are all solid choices.

The ID-Cooling Frostflow 240 is also a good choice (and pretty cheap compared to others).

I have a H440 with a Corsair 100i v2 cooling my 6800K and it idles at around 30c, sits around 39c while gaming and I've only ever seen it hit 60c while totally stress testing it. And it's overclocked to 4.4GHz by the way.

Yeah I think ima go with the AIO cooler first try that, see where I'm at with temps then consider changing the case or just rehousing it in that nice in-win 303 as it looks frigging beautiful haha!

Hey Krakin, to keep positive airflow, using the AIO cooler where do you have it mounted up the top on pushn venting the hot air out, or on the front pulling it in? and what other fans do you have in the case in terms of the stock ones that came with it? one annoyance I do have is the fan hub in the h440, yeah you can plug all your fans in but you get to set one speed for them all and thats that really isn't it? :)

Last edited:
Soldato
For positive airflow, you just want sum of intake to be higher than out. I think with such a small difference in placement, I'd go with where you prefer it. In the 303, for example, it'll look much cleaner going at the top - take a look on Google images at the triple fan radiator setups! :O

Associate
OP
For positive airflow, you just want sum of intake to be higher than out. I think with such a small difference in placement, I'd go with where you prefer it. In the 303, for example, it'll look much cleaner going at the top - take a look on Google images at the triple fan radiator setups! :O

So say I was sticking with the h440, leave the bottom intake fan of the three in place, remove the top 2, place rad there on intake, use 1 of the 2 fans I took as an extra exhaust fan above the exhaust fan thats already there, then thats 1 x 120mm intake, 2 x 140mm radiator intakes, and 2 x 120mm exhausts? :)

Soldato
You would indeed have a positive air pressure, assuming the volume of air being moved through the fans is equal. Bit since you've got a radiator at the front, those fans will be pulling the most amount of air in. I have a similar setup currently, except my radiator is exhausting air through the top.

Associate
OP
You would indeed have a positive air pressure, assuming the volume of air being moved through the fans is equal. Bit since you've got a radiator at the front, those fans will be pulling the most amount of air in. I have a similar setup currently, except my radiator is exhausting air through the top.

If I stick mine up top exhausting then id have a negative air pressure as the 2 x 140mm + the 120mm would beat down my 3 x 120mms on the front haha :)

any suggestions between these and another question below!? :D

the Hydro Series H100i v2 in another thread thats a 240mm rad with 2 x 120MM advanced SPL120 fans.

or there's the other I was looking at the Hydro Series H115i this ones 280mm rad with 2 x 140mm SL140's but not the advanced version? if theres even a difference between advanced and non advanced SPL fans ha?

p.s. you guys are great helping me out!

Associate
I believe that the Corsair coolers are pretty good. I also think the ek ones are quite good. There are a lot of options so you should do a bit of research and you will quickly find the one that best suits. I use custom loop cooling which is good but probably not worth the cost.

Soldato
I believe that the Corsair coolers are pretty good. I also think the ek ones are quite good. There are a lot of options so you should do a bit of research and you will quickly find the one that best suits. I use custom loop cooling which is good but probably not worth the cost.
The new fractal Celsius S24 is probably the one to get, if you don't mind the lack of lighting

Back
Top Bottom