Destiny 2

Soldato
So anything that's of note?

I've missed the start of it.
There appears to be a football pitch in the new social space.. <takemymoney.gif>

Must admit, I watched the short snippets first and found it quite underwhelming. But their explanation of the new things has me hyped.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm sure I saw a brief flash of a new enemy race at one point. It flashed up a few enemies and it was there for half a second.

Missed the game exclusive edition but I think I'm going digital this time. OCUK world first on the raid anyone?? :D

Hunters are now Martel from GoT.

Oh yeah world first! We might have to start practicing though as there are a few teams which have a minor edge on us.

The one hovering above the fight firing off energy blasts.

Ah the Warlocks new solar sword of flaming death.

Mid - It was mentioned that activities (I can't remember the exact words Luke Smith used) can now be accessed from the map itself* (either from physically going there in the world or bringing it up) so maybe they are moving towards that approach? Honestly it was difficult to tell from the reveal itself as they were obviously keeping significant aspects under wraps.

Hopefully it has a more open world seamless feel overall.

Soldato
We all know Bungie are capable of tight FPS gameplay, a solid if rambling story, good characters and set pieces.....what I want

1) Much larger, seamless shared world
2) More world events, enemies moving against, public raid bosses and stuff (Think Azuregos from vanilla WoW)
3) Proper seamless matchmaking (The Division )

Basically want it to feel like a real living, persistent shared world....not just a loose collection of instances.

I mean, now they've removed the worst of the grind I'll definitely be picking it up and enjoying all the new fresh content, but I want more!

Soldato
They definitely mentioned more to do in the world (each of the 4 maps) with hidden "dungeons" (can't remember the names given), heroic tier public events and other things I can't remember right now. What this means in practice of course we will most likely find out between now and launch.

Seamless world and seamless matchmaking were neither confirmed or denied so maybe we will see iterations of one or both.

I would be happy with world zones akin to Neverwinter (albeit larger). Basically seamless open world areas which have mission instances / dungeons (strikes) and epic dungeons (raids) accessible directly within each zone. Grouping is always available but optional (equivalent of seamless matchmaking).

It would be cool to see at least a push towards this.

Soldato
They said the freeroam areas will be larger, but only by a factor of 2 for the largest, so not massively so. They still look instanced. As far as I am aware D2 is still the same core tech as D1 so they can make feature changes like guided games and travelling between planets but the underlying infrastructure remains the same. Hopefully there's some population increases so we see more people in the zones, but I never felt alone really in the first. There's quite a fine balance between isolating players and frustrating them by having a hugely populated zone where 100 people are fighting for 5 dregs that respawn every 2 minutes.

Caporegime
They said the freeroam areas will be larger, but only by a factor of 2 for the largest, so not massively so. They still look instanced. As far as I am aware D2 is still the same core tech as D1 so they can make feature changes like guided games and travelling between planets but the underlying infrastructure remains the same. Hopefully there's some population increases so we see more people in the zones, but I never felt alone really in the first. There's quite a fine balance between isolating players and frustrating them by having a hugely populated zone where 100 people are fighting for 5 dregs that respawn every 2 minutes.

as the original went through mass exodus's i definitely felt alone whilst out on patrol. try doing the taken war quest solo before the last book came out and you were the only one there doing it unless a baby guardian lvl 15 popped along whilst doing a mission and then proceeded to get slaughtered.

Soldato
No going to orbit all the time! I'm sold! :D

Seriously though, looks great! Without the limitations of last gen consoles this is the game Destiny could/should have been. I'm definitely more hyped about this than COD WW2.

Apparently it runs at 60fps as well now.

Soldato
Graphics look nowhere near as good as what we saw last night. I'm assuming the proper reveal was running on a high end PC.
What makes you say that? I assume that footage has come from PS4 Pro so the power is there. Hard to judge as well from the different environments, the geometry and lighting still look great to me.

Associate
Like many people I've played D1 loads. My biggest love of Destiny is the overall combat mechanics and feel, no other game comes close for me except Halo 2.

Last night's reveal didn't blow my mind sadly, it looks like more of the same. I know a few people feel the same but there hasn't been anything monumental to add - the subclasses look like they've run out of steam with Captain America, the Arcbladestaff and the sword thing, I was hoping for more.

Graphically it looks the same to me but I think D1 looks great, just res lets it down - of course 4K on PC will be where the action is.

The strikes, planets, interface and presentation look samey too, maybe Bungie are playing it safe keeping everything so similar but with a hyped sequel you kinda want something to blow your face off, like the time travel level in Titanfall 2.

I'll be getting D2 and I'll no doubt love it and spend £200 for the privelege but the reveal (plus no useful mention of the Beta) haven't done anything to further my exisiting interest, PES 2018 on the other hand...

Soldato
I genuinely don't know what to make of the reveal. I think my expectations were a bit silly in some regards, because by the sounds of it like many others I was hoping to see a new game, not just an extension of the first. In hindsight that's stupid, as Destiny 2 is a sequel so the entire universe, characters, gun play etc are not going to change massively. The formula has been established and the sequel is only going to expand on that.

Just for arguments sake I was hoping to see the following:

- A truly non-instanced live open world aka WoW, where you can see large numbers of human players and NPC's in areas or cities/towns
- Crucible ranking system aka Halo 2/3, therefore catering to both casual and competitive players
- Enhanced customisation through expanding the sub classes, talent trees, gear and abilities
- New features and things to do, on top of strikes/nightfall/raids/patrols etc
- New races or enemy types, on top of the Vex/Cabal/Fallen/Hive
- A crafting system or professions of some sort that just offer another route for upgrading gear/consumables

I appreciate that a lot of the content for Destiny was always going to be refreshed and implemented into the sequel, but at the moment it just feels like Destiny 1.5. I was expecting Bungie to blow everyone away with the NEW features/activities, then moving onto "oh yeah we're also bringing back a lot of the activities from Destiny".

Hopefully some of the stuff above does get announced over the next couple of months.

Caporegime
Like many people I've played D1 loads. My biggest love of Destiny is the overall combat mechanics and feel, no other game comes close for me except Halo 2.

Last night's reveal didn't blow my mind sadly, it looks like more of the same. I know a few people feel the same but there hasn't been anything monumental to add - the subclasses look like they've run out of steam with Captain America, the Arcbladestaff and the sword thing, I was hoping for more.

Graphically it looks the same to me but I think D1 looks great, just res lets it down - of course 4K on PC will be where the action is.

The strikes, planets, interface and presentation look samey too, maybe Bungie are playing it safe keeping everything so similar but with a hyped sequel you kinda want something to blow your face off, like the time travel level in Titanfall 2.

I'll be getting D2 and I'll no doubt love it and spend £200 for the privelege but the reveal (plus no useful mention of the Beta) haven't done anything to further my exisiting interest, PES 2018 on the other hand...

did you even watch the stream?

the interface has changed completely with proper maps and no orbit, etc.

also the planets have changed considerably again there is a planet that is all water with man made oil rig type constructions sticking out. it's completely new worlds.

again strikes now have 3 stage bosses, etc.

like i said at the start did you even watch the stream? if you did then you clearly weren't paying attention.

i'm not going to defend it's flaws but all the things you picked out aren't issues. issues are 4 v 4 PvP is going to kill the casual players IMO. no dedicated servers will annoy everyone.

we have only seen 3 new subclasses there could be countless more. i imagine at least another 3 to begin with then possibly another 3 later on like last time. i don't see what the hate is for captain america. they already had thor's hammer before. it's people picking out issues that simply aren't an issue. don't like captain america then don't play titan, simple as that.

they have also completely changed the weapon system where i think all primaries are kinetic. you then have another type of primary with burn as secondary. then another weapon as your heavy (fusions, etc).

Associate
I genuinely don't know what to make of the reveal. I think my expectations were a bit silly in some regards, because by the sounds of it like many others I was hoping to see a new game, not just an extension of the first. In hindsight that's stupid, as Destiny 2 is a sequel so the entire universe, characters, gun play etc are not going to change massively. The formula has been established and the sequel is only going to expand on that.

Just for arguments sake I was hoping to see the following:

- A truly non-instanced live open world aka WoW, where you can see large numbers of human players and NPC's in areas or cities/towns
- Crucible ranking system aka Halo 2/3, therefore catering to both casual and competitive players
- Enhanced customisation through expanding the sub classes, talent trees, gear and abilities
- New features and things to do, on top of strikes/nightfall/raids/patrols etc
- New races or enemy types, on top of the Vex/Cabal/Fallen/Hive
- A crafting system or professions of some sort that just offer another route for upgrading gear/consumables

I appreciate that a lot of the content for Destiny was always going to be refreshed and implemented into the sequel, but at the moment it just feels like Destiny 1.5. I was expecting Bungie to blow everyone away with the NEW features/activities, then moving onto "oh yeah we're also bringing back a lot of the activities from Destiny".

Hopefully some of the stuff above does get announced over the next couple of months.

i just watch live stream, i'm shocked how little they added, they also had extra year :(

by IGN - 30FPS said:
IGN: "Why did you make that decision. You're like 'We're going to lock it at 4K/30 max on consoles.' Is it just like, you don't want to push the consoles too hard, or why do you make that choice?"

Luke Smith: "I mean, I'm going to wade into this, and you [Mark Noseworthy] can flesh it out. The console, the PS4 Pro is super powerful, but it couldn't run our game at 60. Our game's this rich physics simulation where collision of players, networking, etc, and like, it wouldn't run."

IGN: "Yeah, makes sense."

Luke Smith: "Not enough horsepower there."

Mark Noseworthy: "But there's tons of GPU power in the PS4 Pro. That's why we're doing 4K, right? It's on the CPU side. Destiny's simulation, like we have more AI, more monsters in an environment with physically simulated vehicles and characters and projectiles, and it's part of the Destiny magic, like that, like 30 seocnds of fun, like coming around a corner and throwing a grenade, popping a guy in the head, and then you add like 5, 6, 7 other players in a public event; that is incredibly intensive for hardware."

they joking? they can't hit 60FPS in 4v4 game mode, but Gears of War 4 and Halo 5 both hitting 60FPS without problems and they have way more players and bigger playing areas.

by IGN - Dedicated Servers said:
IGN: "Crucible tech, specifically Trials of Osiris, you guys know that is one of your premier multiplayer modes. Are we getting dedicated servers?"

Mark Noseworthy: "We are not getting dedicated servers."

IGN: "RIP the dream. Why?"

*long pause of silence*

Luke Smith: "It's just not an investment that we made for Destiny 2, like the uh... I understand there's certainly a desire for it. You know, the smaller team format, although it's one person bigger in the Trials case for sure here, in the smaller team format in general it's easier for us to find tighter matches. And we're also going to rechange the parameters for matchmaking, to refocus on connection quality instead of like Trials win matching. WE're gonna like change the, we're going to change a bunch of parameters to focus on giving people a better network experience."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FcfEU1FLy0&feature=youtu.be&t=4254

Just removed 6v6 to fix lag problem now its 4v4 (sucks)
how can a game like rocket league have dedicated servers and destiny still on P2P

Other stuff:
any details about weapon stats being split between PVE and PVP?

Last edited:
Associate
did you even watch the stream?

the interface has changed completely with proper maps and no orbit, etc.

also the planets have changed considerably again there is a planet that is all water with man made oil rig type constructions sticking out. it's completely new worlds.

again strikes now have 3 stage bosses, etc.

like i said at the start did you even watch the stream? if you did then you clearly weren't paying attention.

i'm not going to defend it's flaws but all the things you picked out aren't issues. issues are 4 v 4 PvP is going to kill the casual players IMO. no dedicated servers will annoy everyone.

we have only seen 3 new subclasses there could be countless more. i imagine at least another 3 to begin with then possibly another 3 later on like last time. i don't see what the hate is for captain america. they already had thor's hammer before. it's people picking out issues that simply aren't an issue. don't like captain america then don't play titan, simple as that.

they have also completely changed the weapon system where i think all primaries are kinetic. you then have another type of primary with burn as secondary. then another weapon as your heavy (fusions, etc).

I did watch the stream with this expression :confused: for 98% of it you patronising scumbag.

I was hoping for a dramatic change, perhaps the inclusion of wallrunning or no supers at all - something noteworthy
Maybe miniature raids as strikes instead of shoot, progress, shoot, progres, hold X and finally kill boss
Cross platform, no mention of it and looks increasingly unlikely
4 v 4 PVP is Halo 2, so hardly groundbreaking as it's been done plus everything is spoon-fed, player picked-up ammo here, player activated super etc - it removes the challenge
The weapons lark is the same, handcannon, shotgun and rockets
They could inveny ANYTHING and they parody a superhero again... pretty disappointing

So in summary mate, pretty bland reveal with no shock value - could've waited 'til E3 i think.

Back
Top Bottom