Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
I am out of contract and looking at options. I will be honest I have never had a problem with my VM internet and speeds have always been good on the 150mbps package. I have a superhub2 that seems to be functioning fine. The question is do I take the deal offered to step up to 200 for less than I pay now or make the switch to a FTTC provider (my house is literally 30 steps from the cabinet).

Permabanned
It is to the street path at your front door. Openreach is to the cabinet that serves your street, could be 1km away from your front door.

How do other countries do it that offer 1gb connections, is it fiber to your router?

No it is not... it is fibre to the cabinet & coaxial from the cabinet, up your street and into your house - the same type of cable that plugs into the back of your router.

Virgin have simply been doing FTTC for a lot longer than BT...

The technology is a bit more competent than xDSL type services though... it can support much higher speeds, but the downside it pings are usually higher... so depends if total speed or ping is most important to you as to which technology is best for you to choose.

The DOCSIS system (like Virgin Media) can support over 1gbit... Comcast in the states have already started implementing it:
https://www.extremetech.com/extreme...ng-out-docsis-3-1-based-gigabit-home-internet

Most countries that currently offer a 1gbit or higher connection use FTTP, fibre to the premises.

This has the bonus of offering both high speeds and the lowest pings - so it's the ideal scenario.

Gigaclear have begun trialing a home user symmetrical 5gbit service in the UK - the current trial is running in Oxfordshire. All their services are FTTP, even their lowest 50mbit service.

Never knew. Thought their network was all fiber.

So much for the advertising standards authority in the UK. I suppose that is just guff, toilet paper and it's buyer beware on everything.

Or I'm just a moron.

Saw that previous post and reacted haha - see it's already been dealt with ;)

You're not a moron... most people call it fibre and think it's real fibre... it ****** me off every time someone comes out with that.

Yeah. The whole 'fibre' BB marketing is seriously out of hand. I remember seeing recently that the ASA were going to investigate this exact issue so hopefully they'll get told to stop. IMO fibre really should only mean FTTP, not cable/VDSL/G.Fast. After all, there's always fibre used somewhere in the chain on the backhaul not matter what connection you use :)

Yeah, it's annoying the ASA won't do anything about it... but because of the small print text at the bottom of the advert, it's perfectly fine! grrrr

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Just had a bad week with Virgin had to ring 5 times to retention's for services they said they would add but didn't.
Also received a Super Hub 3.0 which i never asked for and considering how bad it seems would anyone think it would be advisable to swap it out for my current Hub 2 non AC i currently use.

Associate
This is what I get in the west end of Glasgow on the Gamer (200/20):

923895e022432b3e2cf54b4be4a56c6348df46fe-19-05-2017.png

Soldato
I've got the Hub 3 and I don't see this. I'm just using it as a normal router.
well it's either your only on 8 channels downstream so it doesn't affect it that bad or you must be lucky because theres loads of people having this issue, in both modem mode and router mode

when i had the sh2AC i never had this issue.

Last edited:
Associate

this is due to the hub3

How do these peaks impact service? Mine looks similar (but not as bad), and as far as I can see the service is OK.. But then again, im coming from 10mb ADSL2, so dont know what to expect.. I am getting nearly the full 200mb on downloads though. I dont do any gaming.

Soldato
How do these peaks impact service? Mine looks similar (but not as bad), and as far as I can see the service is OK.. But then again, im coming from 10mb ADSL2, so dont know what to expect.. I am getting nearly the full 200mb on downloads though. I dont do any gaming.
it impacts when your doing online gaming. but i do get full speed 330/21Mb 24/7

the more downstream channels you have the worse i'll be.

Last edited:
Soldato
First time had a fault in a while, hub 3 constantly rebooting for over a hour. Rang VM who arranged for an engineer to attend on Friday! , Left hub off for 30 min and seems to have resolved itself now.

Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response
No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

In the logs.

Permabanned
It will affect any realtime usage where you need constant low latency, so this will be things like gaming and VOIP etc. I was more badly affected when I was using Skype or WhatsApp for voice calls, it made conversation quite difficult. Now I have the SH2ac it's excellent.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom