Internet connectivity issues - TP Link TD-W9980

Associate
I am using a TP-Link TD-W9980, as specified in the title, on BT Infinity. For the past at least 2 years it has been working perfectly fine for connecting to the internet. But recently I have come across a big issue which I cannot seem to solve at all or understand why it is happened to try and solve it. I am using the modem that is included in the model and not a standalone one.

My issue seems to be that the first time you connect via wifi or even ethernet on a device in this case a computer or mobile phone, it will let me connect to the router itself just fine but will not allow me to connect to the internet/websites. However, if connected for a prolonged period of time it sometimes will somehow fix itself and connect to the internet. If I restart the router, it breaks every connection to the internet when the router restarts or if I disconnect the device from the network/router it will then not work when I reconnect back to it.

So far I tried changing the DNS servers directly on the router to both Google and OpenDNS which didn't seem to fix it, updated to the latest firmware (TD-W9980(UN)_V1_160125) and a factory reset which didn't seem to solve anything. And turning it off and on just made it worse as some devices which previously could connect to the internet could no longer connect to the internet.

I'm struggling to think of any reasoning why this would happen? Could it be IP address related perhaps? Or what else could I try and see.

Back
Top Bottom