What's With The Pricing of The PG279Q ?

Soldato
So I've been looking at getting the PG279Q for a family member after watching a few reviews and when the monitor came out it was around £650 which I thought was hefty but ok.

I just looked at OCUK and nearly choked, It's now £899, What's with the immense £250 price increase ?

Man of Honour
Just get the S2716DG unless they really really have to have IPS they will thank you later. Though judging by the price changes and stock looks like its about to go EOL maybe being replaced with a new model dunno.

Soldato
OP
Just get the S2716DG unless they really really have to have IPS they will thank you later. Though judging by the price changes and stock looks like its about to go EOL maybe being replaced with a new model dunno.

I was actually looking at the dell, Although I have a suspicion that Dell are probably coming out with an IPS version hence the low stock numbers of the TN.

Soldato
Considering I managed to get an AOC 27 inch 165hz g sync ips for £330 (returned as new stock) I think I would puke at spending nearly 3 times as much .

The monitor market makes me rage. It's a disgrace how much they charge for panels.

Input lag or refresh rate doesn't quite cut if for me when a 55 inch quantum dot Hdr Samsung panel costs less money than a 27 inch ips.

Soldato
Not too surprising, the MG279Q (the version with FreeSync instead of GSync) went from £430 to £500 early this year also. Partially due to exchange rates I imagine.

Soldato
OP
Asus tax after using Brexit as an excuse to whack prices up.

It's still being sold on the rainforest for £700 though, Infact it got a price reduction from £740 to £699.99 yesterday and at the other big online PC competitor it's being sold for £759.98 so either OCUK have made a massive pricing mistake or think people won't shop elsewhere :p

Soldato
It's still being sold on the rainforest for £700 though, Infact it got a price reduction from £740 to £699.99 yesterday and at the other big online PC competitor it's being sold for £759.98 so either OCUK have made a massive pricing mistake or think people won't shop elsewhere :p

Since Brexit was annouced OCUK seem to be expensive on monitors, if you take the x34 predator and the asus 34" both came in around £1100 on OCUK yet on the rainforest you could get them for £900. When I bought my first x34 from OCUK it cost £880 back in Feb 2016.

Soldato
OP
I'd love an OCUK employee to put their 2 cents in and make clear why they are at least £150 more expensive than all of the competition.

Does 8Pack come round and give you a personal training session for that £150 ? :p

Associate
Funny thing was that ocuk had the acer predator XB271HU ips for £600 which is the price many places sell it for now which surprised me for ocuk price. 1week later its £750 :) Ocuk tax + rog tax don't mix well together :D

Associate
The monitor market makes me rage. It's a disgrace how much they charge for panels.

You can blame G-sync for that. I bought a 27" Asus 1440p 144Hz FreeSync IPS last year for a bit over £400, but the same monitor G-sync version is over £700. And the only difference is that one has FreeSync and the other has G-sync...

Which is why, depsite currently having an Nvidia GPU, I will never buy G-sync. Just isn't worth the premium they ask when the competing tech costs way less.

Caporegime
monitor prices have gone insane since brexit.
seen some jumps from £400 (sale price) pre-brexit to £700 now!!
not a good time for buying monitor

Not just brexit but also due to monitor manufacturers incompetency to release monitors without backlight bleed etc. means that too many people are returning the monitors and as a result ocuk and other retailers have had to up the cost all round in order to compensate for any losses:

Backlight bleed within reason like dead pixels is not a fault, so I guess it depends how they are feeling, LOL. Of course CCR can be used but legally if they believe it is used and cannot be resold they can essentially charge you a restocking fee (upto 25%).

I suspect the monitor price increases at etailers across the board is coming from increased returns on CCR due to backlight bleed, some people have good reason, the bleed is beyond acceptable, others returning for IPS glow and doing it several times over.

We keep CCR restocking charges to an absolute minimum, but it means we end up with a huge amount of B-grade monitors sold a big losses to the company, so we either increase upfront margin to cover it or we start implementing more CCR restocking fees.

On another note we have also applied huge pressure on certain manufacturers to start taking returns on monitors for excessive bleed so the retailer is not the ones getting stung.

Associate
Considering I managed to get an AOC 27 inch 165hz g sync ips for £330 (returned as new stock) I think I would puke at spending nearly 3 times as much .

Input lag or refresh rate doesn't quite cut if for me when a 55 inch quantum dot Hdr Samsung panel costs less money than a 27 inch ips.

I would do many things for a monitor of that spec for that price (but I won't do that...)

Associate
Not just brexit but also due to monitor manufacturers incompetency to release monitors without backlight bleed etc. means that too many people are returning the monitors and as a result ocuk and other retailers have had to up the cost all round in order to compensate for any losses:

There is another problem here though as well though, it's driving the price of second hand g-sync monitor's up to silly levels. Some people are selling/asking for more than they bought for in light of the rises, even damaged/faulty panels are being sold of silly money.
The Rainforest is even pushing their returned (A,B & C) stock to near what the original entry price's we're.

I want to buy one but I'd be mad to throw money at it now, my advice to myself & others is to wait for the new gen stuff to come out. Hopefully this will drive the prices of what's on the market down & also the second hand market.

Back
Top Bottom