Manchester Bombing *** Please remain respectful and refrain from antagonising posts ***

Soldato
This sort of thing is a huge problem, and the Elephant in the room that nobody seems willing to tackle.

The lymph nodes are to cancer, what the media is to terrorism - an instant superhighway to everywhere, it's doing nobody any good whatsoever when the media proliferate ISIS propaganda the way they do.

What Mrs Thatcher said about the IRA "deny them the oxygen of publicity." However the cat is out of the bag on that, with a worldwide media and social media to boot.

The media of the day just voiced Gerry Adams with actors.

Permabanned
Taken from a Muslim poster on a Islamic forum, bar the anti Israel rhetoric I think it's quite spot on when describing the current rise in terrorism
You're wrong. I used to live with Pakistani kid in his 20s and since I'm mixed blood he though I'm one of them( i'm atheist though). He used to tell that a lot of muslims born in the UK actually think that terrorist attacks are justified since only infidels die and the koran supports it.
Unfortunately white Brits totally dont know anything about the muslim community apart from what they hear on BBC etc.
Anyway I'm waiting for new chalk drawings on the streets since it's the best way to deal with the problem.

Caporegime
As someone else pointed out, there is always going to be a bottleneck when thousands of people are leaving a venue. There is no way around that.

bottleneck wouldn't have as many people with a wider perimeter. means it's less of a target. plus your saving lives by doing this as less people get hurt.

cram 90,000 into 10,000 square meters then it's a much bigger target than say 90,000 people over 150,000 square metres.

you also increase the number of exits and the size of them the further out you get. it's not about removing it completely but making it a much smaller density of people.

Man of Honour
You're wrong. I used to live with Pakistani kid in his 20s and since I'm mixed blood he though I'm one of them( i'm atheist though). He used to tell that a lot of muslims born in the UK actually think that terrorist attacks are justified since only infidels die and the koran supports it.
Unfortunately white Brits totally dont know anything about the muslim community apart from what they hear on BBC etc.
Anyway I'm waiting for new chalk drawings on the streets since it's the best way to deal with the problem.

There was no suggestion there it was all Pakistani kids - only those affiliated with a certain group.

While there is a certain skew of perspective to what he quoted - there is a truth there that a significant factor in these troubles is down to one of the oldest and deepest divisions within the Muslim world.

Soldato
bottleneck wouldn't have as many people with a wider perimeter. means it's less of a target. plus your saving lives by doing this as less people get hurt.

cram 90,000 into 10,000 square meters then it's a much bigger target than say 90,000 people over 150,000 square metres.

you also increase the number of exits and the size of them the further out you get. it's not about removing it completely but making it a much smaller density of people.

Except people group together naturally. Also why the hell should the normal way of life be corralled in this way. I am not sure that any venue has the space available around it to do so and it would certainly attract the attention of fire and rescue services for access close to a building.

Caporegime
Oh please.

What do you want. Every home to have a government run metal detector on the corner of every street ? A baggage check airport security service at the entrance the latest INTU mall ?

No, no you do not, It plays directly into the scumbags hands, by reducing our own freedom.

So, yes bad stuff happens, yes people die.

But the overall picture is more important and that is the freedom of everyone, not baggage checks every-time you get on a train, or put a cucumber in your bag at ALDI.

Just my point. Security can do only so much. You check everybody going into the main arena but not the outer bits so you start checking them and move the crowds outside and on and on it goes so therefore, apart from removing the threat of somebody taking a gun inside to get at the performer, security does nothing about stopping bombs.

Soldato
Just my point. Security can do only so much. You check everybody going into the main arena but not the outer bits so you start checking them and move the crowds outside and on and on it goes so therefore, apart from removing the threat of somebody taking a gun inside to get at the performer, security does nothing about stopping bombs.

But what can they do by the time it's close enough to detect it's close enough to do damage.

All we can hope is they stop attacks before they happen.

Soldato
What Mrs Thatcher said about the IRA "deny them the oxygen of publicity." However the cat is out of the bag on that, with a worldwide media and social media to boot.

The media of the day just voiced Gerry Adams with actors.

Yeah I agree, the cat is definitely out of the bag, no doubt about it.

Maybe we simply have to grin and bear it? we've created a system of information entitlement - people feel as though it's some sort of human right, to be delivered instant graphic information directly into every orifice within 1 second, the more heinous and terrible the information - the faster and further it spreads.

from 2015, but I think it still applies;

Soldato

Is that scientific. As you could also argue that a denser target would mean less casualties. Like when a soldier jumps on a grenade. Had said grenade exploded in the open the shrapnel could disperse and hit more targets.

Soldato
I've never subscribed to the "Why don't the Muslims speak out against this sort of thing" train of thought, believing that Muslims as a whole shouldn't need to apologise for every nutcase that shares their faith. Anyway, they have.

http://www.mcb.org.uk/manchester-attack-muslim-council-of-britain-statement/

Following the attack on Manchester Arena last night, Harun Khan, Secretary General of the Muslim Council of Britain, issued the following statement: “My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families. I understand teenagers and children have been caught up in what the police has confirmed to be a terrorist attack. This is horrific, this is criminal. May the perpetrators face the full weight of justice both in this life and the next.

I pay tribute to the police and emergency services who have worked valiantly to save lives last night. They were helped by civilians who rushed into offer their support. I urge all those in the region and around the country to pool together to support those affected.”

Caporegime
Is that scientific. As you could also argue that a denser target would mean less casualties. Like when a soldier jumps on a grenade. Had said grenade exploded in the open the shrapnel could disperse and hit more targets.

that works for a grenade as it's a tiny bomb (fits in 1 hand) and it's someone jumping right on top of it, effectively smothering it. with backpack bombs i doubt it makes any difference. in fact the pieces of bone being blown off people will effectively become shrapnel.

what would happen for instance if you stuck a tank on a nuke? not much i imagine

Soldato

Well I work with about 15 guys from Pak (some living in the UK, and some living in Pak), and not one of them have said that I'm some sort of infidel. In fact, we all joke about that fact, and they all laugh at it because they know its stupid.

Caporegime
Well I work with about 15 guys from Pak, and not one of them have said that I'm some sort of infidel. In fact, we all joke about that fact, and they all laugh at it because they know its stupid.
You don't know what's going through their mind though or goes on in the privacy of their own homes. We keep hearing how even the families of these bell ends didn't have a clue.

Permabanned
Well I work with about 15 guys from Pak (some living in the UK, and some living in Pak), and not one of them have said that I'm some sort of infidel. In fact, we all joke about that fact, and they all laugh at it because they know its stupid.

You're missing the point.
Do they consider you one of their own? I doubt it ;) What they say between each other and what they say between other people are two different things.

Back
Top Bottom