• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Pascal GTX 1070 Owners Thread

Soldato
Anyone here got an EVGA GTX 1070 SC Gaming ACX 3.0 Black Edition? Thinking of picking one up but can also get a Zotac 980Ti AMP Extreme for £120 (after I sell my current card). Aren't these two cards pretty much the same in 1440p performance?

Associate
I am a bit late on this but have just purchased a Gigabyte Windforce OC 1070 with a custom backplate. It's going to arrive in the next day or two hopefully. I just sold my GTX 960 so am expecting some healthy gains. :)

Caporegime
Bagged myself an Asus 1070 Turbo on Saturday from a high St competitor (who normally I wouldn't touch with a barge pole but was in there with the Mrs) - she spotted it in clearance under £300! - I was very surprised at the price (they had 1060's on the shelf next to it for way over £330) to be fair though they only had the one in stock so something of a one off I dropped lucky on.

Delighted with the performance boost over my 780ti but must say I'd have been less impressed had I paid the £400+ these cost not so long back.

Equally very glad I didn't take the used 980ti route, I'm seeing near 8GB VRAM useage in GTA V, BF 1 and Battlefront (both with resolution scale at 135%)

Finally I'm enjoying my favourite games cranked fully up @ 5760x1080, image quality seems noticeably better and everything just seems much smoother.

Happy camper. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OK so I am right in thinking m7 1070 clock speeds go down as the card heats up ?...but I'm also getting clock speeds going all over the place too...that sound right ?

Don't see much of that with mine.

I played around a bit using AB to find the max sustainable OC and I set my fan curve @1:1 and set prefer max performance under NVCP.

The result is that at the highest temp I've ever seen it get to (63c, 100% load for quite a few mins) it will maintain it's highest clock (2000Mhz), and won't drop below that.

It will always run at either 2000, 2012, or 2025Mhz, mostly 2012 at around 55C.

Soldato
Well I have no OC on the card, and temps are always around 54-62ish with fan speed at around 50-55% under load.

And to be honest I am unsure how to OC the card ( I should know by now ) ...and what if any settings I would need to alter in NVCP

Soldato
Well I have no OC on the card, and temps are always around 54-62ish with fan speed at around 50-55% under load.

And to be honest I am unsure how to OC the card ( I should know by now ) ...and what if any settings I would need to alter in NVCP

I always set max performance in NVCP, without that, your clock will jump about more and cause stutter. That's what I've found anyway.

I used to set it globally but it causes some non game programs to max the clocks so now I set it game by game.

I'd recommend you do that at least.

Associate
What i do is set Adaptive in global settings then see how games run and if there is any stutter/clock drops within said games. I set Prefer Maximum Performance in the bit where you set things for individual programs.

That way when you are just browsing etc your card isn't running max for no reason.

Associate
Gave in in the end so swapped my 2 x 290 for an EVGA 1070 FTW.

Am impressed - not trying overclocking yet but boost is to 2000+

Running with full block so running cool but a max of 45c is a little lower than I ever got with the 290's.

Not using anything like the power - I bought a leadex 1000w psu to run the 290's - a bit overkill now.

Am happier that I get more or less the same , if not better, performance with one card as compared to two. Do not have to worry if a game has been coded for xfire (or sli for that matter) and the new card does appear able to power my monitor without assistance (Dell 34" Curved 3440 x 1440).

Hopefully will not live to regret but so far feelings are positive !

Associate
Gave in in the end so swapped my 2 x 290 for an EVGA 1070 FTW.

Am impressed - not trying overclocking yet but boost is to 2000+

Running with full block so running cool but a max of 45c is a little lower than I ever got with the 290's.

Not using anything like the power - I bought a leadex 1000w psu to run the 290's - a bit overkill now.

Am happier that I get more or less the same , if not better, performance with one card as compared to two. Do not have to worry if a game has been coded for xfire (or sli for that matter) and the new card does appear able to power my monitor without assistance (Dell 34" Curved 3440 x 1440).

Hopefully will not live to regret but so far feelings are positive !

O/C will not give much or none FPS. I tested this with my UC98 which is O/C to 80Mhz. But this depends on the game. Enjoy tour 1070. I wanted a 1080Ti but could justify it.

Soldato
for those curious on power consumption, I added a UPS to my setup and when I play a game the card is only using about 70 watts of power. This is for gaming not stuff like maxed out benchmarking :)

Back
Top Bottom