Is Islam compatible with atheism/lack of belief ?

Man of Honour
A simple google search allows you to take your pick

All of those need wider context from the chapter they are in - same as many quotes used abstractly from the Quran. Regardless of whether you ascribe to the whole new testament thing or not.

Associate
Religion is nothing but a cosy blanket for weak minded individuals who can't accept their own mortality, waste the precious time you have on this earth all you want when it comes your time to pass on you'll be just like the billions upon billions that have passed already, you'll simply be DEAD

Enjoy the bank holiday, lets hope the sun stays out for us all :cool:

Caporegime
Well, look at this way.

Saudi Arabia the head of the human rights council (and home of the largest sect of Islam) at the UN currently actively discriminates against blasphemers.

Associate
Except it's not.

Christians, as their name suggests follow the teachings and examples of Christ which are recounted in the NT.

Poppycock! Christianity follows the bible not just the NT.

Both the Old and New Testaments are considered of equal importance. However it is true to say that modern religious education focuses much more on the NT but that is only because the OT is all fire and brimstone whereas in the NT it is all about parables to make it more relevant in modern society.

Soldato
Except it's not.

Christians, as their name suggests follow the teachings and examples of Christ which are recounted in the NT.

Again, the NT doesn't superseded the OT, Christ even talks about "not coming to abolish the old laws but to uphold them". Christ is god, he therefore wrote both books anyway, his second coming also suggests every non believer will perish.

*I am out of this thread now though, I have a self imposed rule to stay away from them on OCUK and wish I hadn't posted. Have fun, the outcome will be predicable.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ask oneself the following two questions...

#1 Name "One" Muslim majority country that is not (To put it politely) A bit medieval.

#2 Name "One" non-Muslm majority country that nevertheless has a significant minority Muslim population (Say, more than 1-2%) that is free of any sort of issues regarding Islamic extremism.

If somebody can come up with answers for the above I would actually be quite interested, because, off the top of my head, I cant think of any...:/

Japan, but it's impossible to tell how many Muslims live there due to the government not asking for peoples beliefs to be recorded.

Caporegime
Except it's not.

This would be the same Christ who said he didn't come to do away with the law - the Old Testament - but to fulfil it, yes? Or the same Christ who fulfilled lots of prophecies in the Old Testament? Or who himself read and studied Old Testament scriptures? Whose disciples sent letters quoting and explaining Old Testament scriptures? Whose disciples said that all scripture was the word of God?

That Christ, yeah?

Caporegime
Gotta admit, whataboutism annoys me. As bad as history of christianity is, in the present day it is not christians who are blowing up people at music shows. I am no fan of any religion, but false equivalecy is false equivalency.

indeed, it is quite common on here - 'what about the Westboro baptist church', 'what about those bhuddists in Burma - see bhuddists are just as bad'.. as if any of the issues citied are anywhere near the scale of the problems faced from both radical and conservative Islam

Japan, but it's impossible to tell how many Muslims live there due to the government not asking for peoples beliefs to be recorded.

Japan doesn't fit either of the categories mentioned

Soldato
No it's not compatible with other beliefs, religious or atheist. At the very core the ultimate goal is to impose Sharia law all over the world.
And I fear they will succeed.
This is not like other religions, anyone dare criticise anything remotely to do with Islam is labelled a racist of a bigot by liberals. Most of these of which have no clue of what they are opposing. PC has gone crazy and I'm worried for the future.

Soldato
Is Islam itself, and Quran+hadith specifically, compatible with atheism ?
Yes, just like Christianity/Judaism/etc are.

The issue arises when nutjobs take any religious book literally and use it to self excuse/rationalise their own hatred.

People have been killed "in the name" of every major religion, hell atheism too, doesn't make it the fault of that religion just the lunatics who took ancient teachings literally.

Caporegime
They will still demand halal, hijabs, special treatment based upon religious justification.

They will still import wives/husbands from Pakistan/Bangladesh and maybe imams from Saudi Arabia.

Basically Islam has to come first in their life's and will mean that they will struggle to integrate into any non Islamist community fully.

Soldato
They will still demand halal, hijabs, special treatment based upon religious justification.

They will still import wives/husbands from Pakistan/Bangladesh and maybe imams from Saudi Arabia.

Basically Islam has to come first in their life's and will mean that they will struggle to integrate into any non Islamist community fully.

Gotta give it to the author of the koran. He knew what needed doing in order to get his way.

Caporegime
I think of Muslims must ask themselves, what is it about Islam that makes these people commit the atrocities in the name of it?

Fundamentally there must be something in the that draws Muslims in something deep in the core of the religion that is being either hijacked or simply used, but it seems very easy to do it.

For me, the people should be asking the religious leaders, those in Saudi Arabia to stand up and deplore Isis . They should be sending strong messages world wide so that everyone can see that anyone who joins Isis will be considered not part of the Muslim family and that they will be outcast and that the deplorable acts must stop.

But we just don't see this happening.

Caporegime
This would be the same Christ who said he didn't come to do away with the law - the Old Testament - but to fulfil it, yes? Or the same Christ who fulfilled lots of prophecies in the Old Testament? Or who himself read and studied Old Testament scriptures? Whose disciples sent letters quoting and explaining Old Testament scriptures? Whose disciples said that all scripture was the word of God?

That Christ, yeah?
Yes. The one who fulfilled the laws therefore rendering them obsolete. Think of the OT as the silmarillion. It adds depth but isn't needed.

Back
Top Bottom