Help a complete n00b connect a modern record player to hifi speakers!

Associate
The other night I was out in some new wave coffee shop by day/cocktail bar by night. Anyway they had a DJ playing vinyl and I was sat right next to some old technics hifi speaker and it sounded excellent. So in my slightly drunken state I retrieved the model number and scoured eBay, found a pair for 50 quid and ordered!

Now the slightly painful bit... these speakers have push terminal inputs. I'm aiming to hook up my GPO Bermuda record player to these. How can I achieve such satisfaction? Do I need a separate amp/preamp? The player has RCA output, and also has it's own internal speaker.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Soldato
The other night I was out in some new wave coffee shop by day/cocktail bar by night. Anyway they had a DJ playing vinyl and I was sat right next to some old technics hifi speaker and it sounded excellent. So in my slightly drunken state I retrieved the model number and scoured eBay, found a pair for 50 quid and ordered!

Now the slightly painful bit... these speakers have push terminal inputs. I'm aiming to hook up my GPO Bermuda record player to these. How can I achieve such satisfaction? Do I need a separate amp/preamp? The player has RCA output, and also has it's own internal speaker.

Any help would be much appreciated!

As has been mentioned, you wiil need to contact GPO to find out if the 2 RCA's are in fact just standard "line out's". If they are, you will need an amplifier between the GPO and your speakers.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice guys. Contacted GPO and the RCA outputs are powered! They advised they should work with unpowered hifi speakers.

So next question I how do I connect RCA to speaker cable terminals. Is there a one lead solution?

Soldato
I've had a look at the user manual and I'd be really really surprised if these were powered. Only one way to find out I suppose - you won't damage your speakers by plugging them into the AUX directly they'll just be very quiet if they're line level. The simplest way would be to get a cheap RCA cable and simply cut off the plug on one end and strip back to bare wire and plug those into the speakers.

Soldato
Thanks, I agree, but they seemed pretty certain. Will give Rca cable stripping a go!

Just be a bit careful that you isolate both stripped wires properly. It'll be a little tricky but should be possible... I wouldn't want you to short your turntable.

I agree with Minstadave that the company is probably referring to a phono pre-amp rather than a speaker amplifier.

Man of Honour
I seriously doubt there is enough power - even if they are pre-amped - on the RCA outputs to drive anything decent speaker wise - you'll almost certainly need an amp to get the sound quality you want. Some amps will have the ability to switch input (or multiple inputs) that can support different types of input from turntables/record players including preamped or not preamped and the whole CER/MAG thing which is probably older than relevant here.

Associate
OP
As predicted, the advice from GPO is incorrect. Stripped one end of an rca, isolated positive and negative, hooked them up to the speaker clip terminals on the speaker and got zero output.

Soldato
I always like Mission/Cyrus products but there's loads of choice. Anything by a well known British high manufacturer should do you well and also if it does break will be repairable rather than fit for the bin.

Cyrus, Linn, NAD, Naim, Arcam etc etc - pick your budget and get on the classified ads!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Cyrus-3-Stereo-Integrated-Amplifier/110874474?iid=332263729230

I used to have one of these and it was great. Traded it in for my current Cyrus amp. It's also got a built in phono pre amp if you ever get hold of another turntable. Might become a little overpriced if it attracts lots of bids though.

Back
Top Bottom