**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ Thread ****

Soldato
mrk - would you recommend the S8 then?

I'm currently using a Nexus 6 but the charging port is buggered and i'm itching to upgrade anyway to something a little snazzier. I've not owned a Samsung since the Galaxy S3 and I hated touchwiz back then, but the missus has a Galaxy S7 and it seems to have come along way, although i'd probably sit Nova over the top anyway. Going to the S8 would mean I would only be going down from 5.9 to 5.8 inch screen which is fine, as I dont want to go back down to 5 inch at all.

Will most likely be moving to EE from Three due to contract change, and would be making use of the Wifi Calling as some areas in the house are dodgy signal.

Umming and arr'ing art the moment but there seems to be little else to go for - I dont fancy the OP5 at all

Associate
Had a very bizarre thing happen with my S8+ yesterday that resulted in a factory reset.

I basically just changed my Samsung account password and my whole phone went very laggy, Internet browsing, the front face camera, sliding down my notifications and the settings menu.

Tried restarting the phone and a soft reset, nothing worked apart from a factory reset. Don't know if it was just a coincidence upon changing my password.

Man of Honour
mrk - would you recommend the S8 then?

I'm currently using a Nexus 6 but the charging port is buggered and i'm itching to upgrade anyway to something a little snazzier. I've not owned a Samsung since the Galaxy S3 and I hated touchwiz back then, but the missus has a Galaxy S7 and it seems to have come along way, although i'd probably sit Nova over the top anyway. Going to the S8 would mean I would only be going down from 5.9 to 5.8 inch screen which is fine, as I dont want to go back down to 5 inch at all.

Will most likely be moving to EE from Three due to contract change, and would be making use of the Wifi Calling as some areas in the house are dodgy signal.

Umming and arr'ing art the moment but there seems to be little else to go for - I dont fancy the OP5 at all

The only other new phone that is considered a direct competitor to the S8 is the LG G6. A great phone in its own right, but I've got both in the household, and the G6 just doesn't feel or look as next gen as the S8 does. And the S8 has a better battery,, screen, DAC, fast wireless charging among all the other little tweaks TW/GraceUX has that make it a nicer experience to my eyes.

From the phone you currently have, going to an S8 will feel like a huge step up, and Nova is definitely a good shout, along with a dark theme to do AMOLED some justice.

I still think it's too expensive, and a number of people have discovered bugs/issues, but there is little else if you want an overall package that has pretty much everything covered.

Soldato
The only other new phone that is considered a direct competitor to the S8 is the LG G6. A great phone in its own right, but I've got both in the household, and the G6 just doesn't feel or look as next gen as the S8 does. And the S8 has a better battery,, screen, DAC, fast wireless charging among all the other little tweaks TW/GraceUX has that make it a nicer experience to my eyes.

From the phone you currently have, going to an S8 will feel like a huge step up, and Nova is definitely a good shout, along with a dark theme to do AMOLED some justice.

I still think it's too expensive, and a number of people have discovered bugs/issues, but there is little else if you want an overall package that has pretty much everything covered.

What about the new sony xz premium.

Associate

Hardly. The XZ premium and HTC U11 are probably more likely considered competitors to the S8 than the G6.

I agree, been looking and reading phone sites for past 3 months deciding on upgrade. LG G6 is not even on my radar due to price and poor uk Specs.

My list of top phones for my criteria are

S8
HTC U11
One plus 5

The ones that I won't buy

XZ premium - apart from the slow mo - the camera does not stand out compared to S8 or I am guessing the U11
LG G6 - They must have been crazy choosing such a high price for such a low spec phone.

Soldato
It seems you can import the version with the Quad DAC and 64GB storage for £400. Not sure on the warranty but if you already have phone insurance its not too bad.

Personally, I'll be more than likely picking up a OP5 for the time being until the Pixel 2/Note 8

Man of Honour
Phone insurance won't replace the phone if it gets damaged with a quad DAC one, in fact will they even cover it if it's not a UK IMEI?

Hardly. The XZ premium and HTC U11 are probably more likely considered competitors to the S8 than the G6.

I guess they are, I did not mention them because they don't have the narrow 18/18.5:9 display setup like the LG and S8 do. Neither the Sony nor HTC are better overall packages either. The 960fps is limited to 15 seconds only, and it's not true HD quality, and the U11 looks like a cheap mid-range phone. Both have massive bezels by comparison to the G6 and S8.

Soldato

And the One PLus 5

Man of Honour
Personally I'm more lookng forward to the Pixel 2 and Andy Rubin's new bezel free phone. A Pixel dev hinted at the P2 having IPX rating and upping its game, as well as price :)rolleyes:), but Andy Rubin's phone is also rumoured to be a beast.

Interesting year for high end phones.

Soldato
I've had a few issues with the sound cutting out. Even a device restart didn't bring it back. No sounds at all until I got in to the ringtone menu and jumped between a load of them.

Very weird.

Soldato
Just got AQEB update last night on my XEU handset along with May security patch. don't think I'll ever get another carrier locked phone again, my note on Voda used to take half year to get patches, hopefully this continues with time.

Soldato
Just got AQEB update last night on my XEU handset along with May security patch. don't think I'll ever get another carrier locked phone again, my note on Voda used to take half year to get patches, hopefully this continues with time.

It cycles, you'll find the carriers may get the next one first and my BTU handset hasn't had the update.

Associate
Yep, Galaxy S7 XEU was about last to get android 7 OTA which seemed ridiculous at the time. I didn't wait that long and flashed BTU firmware. Just because you got an update on XEU in good time, doesn't mean we'll get it so quick next time.

Soldato
Anyone tried playing large movie files over a local network? Trying to do it using mx player, if I do the same in my s6 edge it's fine, on the s8 it's just freezing all the time. If I switch it to sw rendering is slightly better but not watchable.

Associate
Lol we'll see then hopefully mine should dispatch in a few days

Has your case arrived yet?, the quality is remarkable, the case even has it's own dust bag. The stitching is perfect and the interior is also perfect.

I've taken some pictures of it, I'll upload them some time today.

Man of Honour
Anyone tried playing large movie files over a local network? Trying to do it using mx player, if I do the same in my s6 edge it's fine, on the s8 it's just freezing all the time. If I switch it to sw rendering is slightly better but not watchable.

No issues here, played 1080p multiple times with mx player. 5GHz might be worth a try for WiFi?

Soldato
No issues here, played 1080p multiple times with mx player. 5GHz might be worth a try for WiFi?
using 5ghz and the speed test is fine so don't think its a buffering issue.

how are you accessing the files?

I'm going through Es File Explorer and admin shares. not sure if thats going to make a difference.

switched to Solid Explorer and played the movie using MX again, not as bad but still pauses quite often, just tried VLC and that's working fine. strange.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom