Router with ethernet timer controls

Soldato
Essentially I need a router with the ability to control ethernet ports so I can restrict when my son can go online without having to physically pull out a cable and hope he doesn't plug it back in!

I'm with sky, there seems to be lots of various options but nothing I can use - I currently run a cable from the sky router to another router for the PCs up stairs, I'm looking to replace that router with something that allows timer controls on ethernet...the router I'm using has timer on wifi but that's no use.

Would also need to be able to p/w protect to stop him changing settings but I assume pretty much all routers have password access.

Thanks in advance

Man of Honour
Wait, you're running two routers? Are you sure the one upstairs isn't a switch?

I would have thought Sky would have some form of parental controls that you can tie down to MAC addresses.

Soldato
I don't know about consumer routers but pretty sure you can do this with pfSense. You can tie MAC addressess to groups that have a different policy for their routing, including time restrictions.

I think the key to any solution is likely to be that you don't tie down an ethernet port, you tie down a MAC address (the physical identifier of the device) to a time based policy. This also helps prevent him circumventing it since plugging it into a different port will have no effect on the ban. I'm also guessing most consumer routers won't differentiate the traffic with a time restriction so it'll cut him off from all internet access, not just gaming.

If he's smart he'll eventually work out how to spoof his MAC address (pretend to be a different device) though.

Soldato
Oh, if he eventually works out how to spoof his MAC address then you'll have to consider something like putting a managed switch between him and your router and basically put him on a different VLAN that has restrictions compared to the rest of your network.

Soldato
OP
Wait, you're running two routers? Are you sure the one upstairs isn't a switch?

I would have thought Sky would have some form of parental controls that you can tie down to MAC addresses.

Yeah it's a WNDR3300 - will look into the sky options (again)

A quick search brings up this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU4kEInF84E

Seems to be what you want?

Cheers, pretty sure I tried this before with no joy but will try again before spending money

Oh, if he eventually works out how to spoof his MAC address then you'll have to consider something like putting a managed switch between him and your router and basically put him on a different VLAN that has restrictions compared to the rest of your network.

Yeah, his brother knows how to so he may pressure him into helping (if he doesn't know already) - but thanks for the heads up!

Draytek 2860, 2925 etc., Synology RT2600AC can do this.

Cheers, will check the sky options again first but failing that will look into these.

Thanks to all for your help :)

Associate
Did the following on my network. Installed pfSense as a router. Made two groups, trusted and untrusted (specifically defined as Not Equal To Trusted)

Added a rule for time based access on untrusted.

Added my phone, my laptop and my Media centre to to Trusted group. Anything else cut off at 11 and back on at 6.

If your family are in the realms of spoofing IPs, MAC addresses or installing proxies to get around that then you have a problem which won't be solved by software

Soldato
OP
Do you not get any issues with double NAT running 2 routers?

Such as?
Edit - done a little bit of reading, could this be why when I previously tried the sky solution it didn't work? I've not had chance to look much into this, I'm away for the weekend but plan to sort out when I return.

Did the following on my network. Installed pfSense as a router. Made two groups, trusted and untrusted (specifically defined as Not Equal To Trusted)

Added a rule for time based access on untrusted.

Added my phone, my laptop and my Media centre to to Trusted group. Anything else cut off at 11 and back on at 6.

If your family are in the realms of spoofing IPs, MAC addresses or installing proxies to get around that then you have a problem which won't be solved by software

Cheers

I use a Synology RT1900AC to do exactly what you are looking to do.

Wow, like the other routers listed too expensive - I can't believe such a feature is not on every router, you can have a timer on the wifi so why not have timers on the ethernet?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I assume the network equipment is it out of reach, otherwise he'll just be able to reset the router and undo everything.

If so, it might seem too simple but you could get a cheap switch just for his wired connection off the upstairs router and have a timed power plug. That or run his connection through powerline and have a timer on the end that isn't in his room.

Associate
Wow, like the other routers listed too expensive - I can't believe such a feature is not on every router, you can have a timer on the wifi so why not have timers on the ethernet?

For me the level of control and traffic information this router provides compared to any other one I've had more than justifies the price.

Soldato
Cheap £40 mikrotik would do this. Watch his computer connect via dhcp and assign it a static from the router. Create a timed queue to restrict the account during hours when you want.

Also gives you the ability to schedule and script disabling the ports.

Man of Honour
You could build a pfsense box for the price of that Synology and with the exception of wireless, would blow it out of the water.

Soldato
OP
Hi all, by way of an update I decided that instead of just blocking my son (and leave myself open to him spoofing IPs or whatever to get round it) I decided to block the router upstairs. So I followed the youtube guide but couldn't get it to work then I switched the firewall setting from 'block to schedule' to 'allow to schedule' and hey presto it all worked. I guess the schedule I set up although reading right (to me) was the wrong way round.

Just thought I'd say thanks again for all the help. :)

Back
Top Bottom