Windows not tracking time correctly

Soldato
Hi,

So since sticking windows 10 on my Ryzen build, my computer seems to simply incorrectly track time. It looks like it set-up to take internet time, so automatic time, auto time zone, but it is ALWAYS off.

Sometimes it might only be 5 minutes, others an hour, just now it's 14 mins slow. It's always slow though.

I have no idea how to fix this? If I change the time manually, it is still off an hour later. Could this be a motherboard issue (Gigabyte AB350 Gaming)? Windows issue?

Searching the internet doesn't appear to give recent issues. I have tried to make sure as many setting as possible are correct, but I really don't know where to look now.

Soldato
Interested to see if you get any responses on this. We recently built a new computer for a customer. With a couple of days he was telling us the time was off. He'd let the machine go to sleep and when it woke up the time could be an hour out or 23hrs. His problem was that he needed to connect to a remote server that would boot him if his time and/or date was off.
After experiencing this issue many times we took the machine back, replaced the motherboard and did a fresh Windows install.
After having the machine back for 24hrs, he made contact yesterday to say the same issue is taking place - time can be anything from 5 minutes to 24 hours out.

This is a very basic Intel based system, entry point machine.

Soldato
OP
Try setting the net time server to pool.ntp.org.

Thanks for that. I first updated the time in the ITS menu, but it gave a time-out error, but also actually updated the time to the correct time, which was weird if it timed out, lol.

But I have changed to pool.ntp.org where there was no error. Hopefully that works. I will monitor over the next few days / weeks and report back.

It's a bit annoying. I have no idea why it wouldn't connect to the server. There was another server in the drop-down, time.nist.gov. Probably from when I looked at it a few weeks ago.

Hopefully this works now though.

Associate
Mine did this for about a week then stopped and hasn't lost time since. No idea why… I just assumed it was another problem with GameMode (now turned off) or something else on Windows 10 that Windows Update/drivers fixed. Might be worth doing a BIOS update because mine has been updated every release so that could have fixed it I suppose.

Soldato
The Windows Time 'update now' button fails the first time you poll for an update because the Windows Time Service takes longer to start than the Win32 code accounts for. It's been like that for years.

As for losing time. You should update your bios. Consider getting a new battery. Toggle the current HPET setting in your bios.

Soldato
OP
Try setting the net time server to pool.ntp.org.

That has worked a treat, thanks. So far anyway, but given that it woudl be off after 5 mins previously, it has now been over a week with no issue.

Buy a new CMOS/BIOS battery

CR2032

On a new motherboard? I'd hope not.

The Windows Time 'update now' button fails the first time you poll for an update because the Windows Time Service takes longer to start than the Win32 code accounts for. It's been like that for years.

As for losing time. You should update your bios. Consider getting a new battery. Toggle the current HPET setting in your bios.

New motherboard, latest BIOS and HPET was off (according to Ryzen Master). Anyway, it is fixed now. Or seems to be.

Back
Top Bottom