• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD VEGA confirmed for 2017 H1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Its remarkable how people seem to forget that AMD's most recent high end card had the same RRP but high street price at the 980ti which was faster.

No we didnt forget. The difference is when AMD does it most people will say "hell no" and keep the money in their pockets and AMD will suffer the lost sales but when nvidia does it they somehow manage to sell truck loads all the while we have people screaming left and right about how insanely expensive it is before they press the checkout button. Of the two I personally find the last the worst kind of hypocrisy.

Soldato
And wasn't Intel's lead unreachable?
Intel NetBurst/Pentium 4 vs Athlon 64s...
With stock cooler some Pentium 4s were thermal throttling even at idle!

"Dust buster/leaf blower" but still hot GeForce FX vs. Radeon 9700 Pro running original Far Cry intended to be Nvidia's DX9 showcase lot better?

Heating Fermistor vs HD5870?
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_480_Fermi/33.html

yep it's all swings and roundabouts, when the 5870 was on top with its great PPW AMD fans were poo-ing on Femi and rightly so. When Kepler hit and Nvidia was ahead and then way ahead (and still are) on PPW suddenly its “who cares about power consumption and heat” from AMD fans. If/when its swings around again the reverse will be true.

An endless cycle of buthurt and one at man ship from the GPU tribes.

Caporegime
No we didnt forget. The difference is when AMD does it most people will say "hell no" and keep the money in their pockets and AMD will suffer the lost sales but when nvidia does it they somehow manage to sell truck loads all the while we have people screaming left and right about how insanely expensive it is before they press the checkout button. Of the two I personally find the last the worst kind of hypocrisy.

People always complain how much they pay for petrol but they still fill up rate than take the bus. People may not like Nvidia's prices but no one is forcing them to pay them. If people were really honestly that infuriated they would either not buy anything, buy second hand, bu an AMD card, or just buy the model down. Don't like he 1080ti prices, just pick up a 170/180 instead, or a second hand 980ti, or better yet save the money for a nice vacation. When people dont choose an alternate option it is quite clear they dont really care that much about it . I wish I could buy a Nikon D5 and 80 f/5.6 bu I don't have a spare £20,000, yes 20 grand. I don;t complain bitterly about it, I just accept the fact that I cant afford such a camera setup for my hobby.

If AMD had a similar crad to the 1080TI for a little less cash then perhaps people would buy it but they don't have that choice so it is prtty meaningless when people complain at prices. Nvidia are very careful with their pricing and will set price points hat maximize profits. If many people really thought Nvidia were charging too much then they woudln't bu and nvidia would lower prices it increase sales. Ultimately, the market defines the price points. Nvidia and AMD can try and influence people but only to a small extent.

Caporegime
yep it's all swings and roundabouts, when the 5870 was on top with its great PPW AMD fans were poo-ing on Femi and rightly so. When Kepler hit and Nvidia was ahead and then way ahead (and still are) on PPW suddenly its “who cares about power consumption and heat” from AMD fans. If/when its swings around again the reverse will be true.

Power per watt doesn't matter much to the consumer within reason, and no one sensible has suggested it does. You can always spot a Fanboy if they try and justify the power consumtpion as only costing $2 a year, completely missing the point.

We see the real importance clearly with the current cards. Pascal is extremely efficient, so much so that an improved pascal-like Architecture could be released on a similar fab process (the 12nm is really 16nm, i.e 20nm with finfets) and with only a modest size and power increase create another power new generation of cards without even requiring a whole new node size. Meanwhile, Polaris scaled up to be a 1080ti competitor would draw so much much power it would be completely infeasible and way out side PCI specs.

If power efficiency didn't matter then why the heck would anyone care about Vega when it it is just going to be more power efficient than Polaris? Just get a 450watt Polaris GPU to do the same thing.

V F

V F

Soldato

5870 CrossFire was great with Battlefield 3/4. Lots of fond memories and laughs. I think they've been the best cards I had as they had ATi on them.

Caporegime

It was also significantly cheaper than a 980ti that came with a AIO cooler and as such the Fury X was significantly more quiet than any air cooled 980ti. Unless you could make the claim that a 980ti with or without an AIO cost the same, then comparing like for like Fury X was cheaper. Fury X also beats the 980ti pretty often and most importantly, it had a reason for being expensive, the AIO and the HBM, the 980ti cost almost the same yet was cheaper to produce.

Associate
IT is a shame becuase the FUryX card was veyr well built and when the cooler was working correctly the whole thing was super quite and could keep the card very cool. IF the GPU was just a little faster and it could overclock better then they would have had a winner.
furyX would have been a great card if only it was efficiently using all it's cores.

Last edited:
Permabanned
No we didnt forget. The difference is when AMD does it most people will say "hell no"

And those of us willing to buy it still got scared off because of the poor quality control.
If I ran AMD I would have fired people over that.
All the hard work that went in to getting that card onto the market and then that happens,
WOW!
I reckon Jen made a deal with Crowley.

Soldato
No 3am is correct.

Videocardz countdown for AMD's Press conference says 4 days, 5 hours, and 16 minutes.
https://videocardz.com/

447cd75faf474dcbb9fc60b7005212f9.png

Soldato
I guess some people don't realise that Taiwan, which is where Computex is, and this presentation is being held is +8 GMT therefore +7 due to BST, so 10am on the 31st May in Taiwan, is 3am on the 31st May in the UK. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom