Windows server 2012r2 keeps failing to install updates

Soldato
Windows serever2012r2 running 2 virtual machines, plenty of HD space on main box, 7 updates plus 5 optional available, no matter the combo I try to install, they install, restart machine to apply, and it then gives message 'can't install the updates rolling back the changes' or something similar.

Any suggestions at all?

Soldato
OP
yeah fails with an error code which leads to an empty DB entry
800F0922
I've tried dumping temp files, I've tried stopping the service renaming the old db file, and restarting the service, nothing seems to allow installation, even just one at a time, on optional or important, still fails

May, 2017 Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 3.5, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2 on Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 for x64 (KB4019114)
Installation date: ‎27/‎05/‎2017 10:50
Installation status: Pending restart
Error details: Code 80242014
Update type: Important
A security issue has been identified in a Microsoft software product that could affect your system. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.
More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/4019114

That was the only other error code.

Soldato
OP
pondering this known issue

If a Server 2012 R2 system uses an Intel Xeon (E3 v6) family of processors, installing this update will block downloading and installing future Windows updates.Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.

does Intel have major issues?

Soldato
Serious issues with windows updates lately.

Windows Server + X10SLM+-F which is a pretty popular server motherboard albeit a couple years old now. One of the recent windows updates causes the server to just shut down when you reboot it, never comes back on without manual intervention.

Soldato
OP
I am stumped, I managed to get the SQL update to install by doing it individually, nothing was rolled back, but the other individually, or by direct MS download all roll back.
I assume there is a reason for this, but I simply can't identify it.

some of the updates do refer to MS working on fixes for processor types. bit vexing and somewhat worrying if this I mean to be a protection.

Back
Top Bottom