NUC5i5RYK - windows 10 install issues

Associate
Hi all

Ive recently got a NUC5i5RYK that ive recently acquired.

I had a windows 7 key to use, so i installed windows 7 from the DVD. I then tried running the update to windows 8. it failed twice. but then windows 7 ran some more updates, (i thought it was finshed) then the update to windows 10 worked ok. All seemed well, windows was activated etc.

I should have left it there, but i figured i'd do a fresh install of windows 10. and ive had nothing but trouble.

Ive created USB installation media with the windows media creation tool, and it starts the process off ok, but then it gets stuck "Getting files ready for installation" occasionally it will get though that, but then sits at a screen with the windows logo and the spinning balls.

Any ideas?

Another thing, when i go through the process of specifying the install location, Setup tells me that that it will create additional partitions, fine, ok, but sometimes i get 1 extra, and sometimes i get a few of them. i'm assuming this is the difference between MBR and GPT. any ideas wht this changes? i assume i should be using GPT?

Thanks

Soldato
Try downloading the W10 ISO then use Rufus to create the bootable USB, I've had no issues with that.

As for partitions it depends on your BIOS. If it's legacy then you'll have at least two partitions, one for the boot manager and the other being Windows. For UEFI, you get 3, the usual 2 partitions and then an extra one labelled as EFI.

Associate
OP
I tried that. downloaded the iso using the media creation tool, and i used rufus to create the usb. that didnt work either. i also tried burning it to a CD, also not working.

well my bios has both legacy and uefi. when i hit F10 to select what to boot from, i get the option of BIOS and UEFI for the devices attached... maybe ive been picking different ones each time. I could probably switch off the legacy mode, to make sure i use uefi every time...

Soldato
ry downloading the W10 ISO then use Rufus to create the bootable USB, I've had no issues with that.
worked for me too, I needed to tell rufus it was for a gpt/eufi install.

i used rufus to create the usb. that didnt work either.
what did not work ? install started ? or not ?
edit: is problem usb 3.0 driver related if you could not boot off of usb (did not check spec of your nuc)

Associate
OP
might try an earlier build of windows and see if that has any affect... ive read that the creation tool is now using the creators update, although i havent yet confirmed that is the version i'm trying to use.

Associate
OP
sorry Jpaul, missed your message.

The nuc only has usb3, no usb 2 ports (although there is a non-standard usb2 header) In all cases, the install starts, but just stops at some point, fairly early on in the install process.

so ive tried:
creating a usb using the media creation tool
downloading the iso using the creation tool and using rufus to create the usb.
burning the iso to a DVD.

All results the same, at some point it just stops responding.

Soldato
As above, what settings on rufus was you using? And did both rufus USB and disc run into this problem as well?:

but then it gets stuck "Getting files ready for installation" occasionally it will get though that, but then sits at a screen with the windows logo and the spinning balls.

EDIT: Just saw your new post. Looking at the NUC have you tried a different USB port? One seems to be a charging port and that could be causing issues. Also depending on your USB you may just have to wait it out if it's a slow USB.

In the BIOS, set it to boot from the UEFI:[USB drive] first and see if that works (if you set Rufus to UEFI). If that doesn't work then run Rufus again and set it to BIOS then in the NUC's BIOs set it to boot directly on the USB drive without the UEFI option.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I tried multiple usb ports, it had no effect.

i think the rufus settings were set to:

MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI
File system NTFS
4096 bytes cluster size

for the partition scheme i have the following options:
  • MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI
  • MBR partition scheme for UEFI
  • GPT partition scheme for UEFI
Which should i be using?

Cheers guys

Soldato
Soldato
also - when you try to start the install are you specifying a custom (target) disk partition to hold it, or you have pre-created it.?
I started with an unallocated 256gb ssd, and told it I wanted it to custom cut a 128gb partition from that, for the installation.
... if you let it create the partition maybe a better chance of success/compatability ?
(maybe it is hanging because it does not like your partition)

Associate
OP
ok, i will try GPT first. there is also a new bios available, so i'll try that also.

ive been deleting all the partitions so i'm left with a lump of unallocated space, then i create a new partition that is about 90% of the space, leaving a bit of unallocated space for the SSD (this used to be advised for SSD - is it still required?) then i click on that new partition and install to that. setup then creates the additional partitions. I did wonder if this was an issue. so this morning i went to try just deleting all the partitions and clicking start, but i ran out of time and had to go to work.

thanks for your help, i have a few things to try now.

Ive contacted the seller who has been very helpful. apparently they installed windows 10 on build 1607 without issue. this was the one prior to the creators update. i assume i'm trying to install build 1703, hopefully a bios update will help.

thanks

Associate
OP
ok, i just about got windows 10 to install by using an earlier build, but even then it was on the second attempt, and i had to manually force it off and switch it back on to get it to go through...

now its installed, it crashes (hangs) constantly. i can run AS SSD benchmark, or prime 95 and it does prompt a crash... but ill open a folder or something stupid, and it hangs. somethings not right.

now ive upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7, if i reinstall 7, will it still activate with the same product key?

thanks for your help.

Soldato
No idea if 7 will reactivate with the key as there was only a month to roll back, it may be different today.

Sounds like it did install but something messed up, you could try "sfc /scannow" in command prompt and see if that could repair anything.

It may be worth doing a mem test though? Maybe there's a hardware fault?

Associate
OP
ok, i'm running Passmark memtest86... then i found memtest86+ which seems to be the same but different... which is the right one to use? or doesnt it matter?

1 hour 30 mins in, no error as yet. will run overnight, then tomorrow too if still no errors.

Back
Top Bottom