NUC5i5RYK with Samsung PM961 or SM961? NVMe M.2?

Associate
Hi All

I need an SSD for a NUC5i5RYK.

Its not my main PC, so will probably be used occasionally, but then also may be used as a Plex server/download PC etc, so may be left on for long periods.
it'll be running Windows 10.

128GB would be plenty of space, as i have a NAS that holds media ect (64GB would probably be ok too to be honest)

now, if i'm buying new, the samsung PM961 seems like the obvious choice to me. fast, cheap, and Samsung seem to be reliable.

i'm struggling to work out if the NUC5i5RYK will be able to boot from a pcie NVMe SSD.

here is the link to the intel page:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/boards-kits/nuc/kits/nuc5i5ryk.html

It seems to me that when the 5i5RYK came out, M.2 pcie was just coming out, and they were mainly pcie ahci, rather than pcie NVMe, so the reviews dont seem to cover it. My googling is failing me.

Does anyone know definitively?

Thanks

Soldato
In all honesty for the usage described I don't see any massive gain to be made in going NVMe, that said if the price is the same or only marginally more why not?

Points to consider:
  • Your media is on a NAS, your NUC has a theoretical limit of 125MB/s and your NAS is usually capable of less.
  • Downloads are going to be WAN limited.
  • RAR/PAR will be CPU limited way before you ever reach conventional SSD speeds.
  • PMS's local I/O will not really benefit from NVMe vs SSD - Windows may boot a few seconds quicker, but any real world gain's will be very minimal.

Back
Top Bottom