*** 4K Player Thread ***

Soldato
So you buy other things from them but not 4K blu-rays ?

No I don't buy anything from them tbh. I merely cited 4K Blurays in particular to clarify that, despite them obviously having some good prices, I'd still not buy from them.

HMV have had big problems with theft and most of them end up at places like CEX. 4K Bluray is such a new and expensive technology that it's currently restricted to enthusiasts and I can't really believe many of them are buying, watching then flogging their discs to the likes of CEX.

Soldato
Those prices are good for 4K UHD movies so not so mad :p imagine if i had paid full price and got them new :eek: then you could call me mad :D

Pan for £12 you are mad ! Wouldn't have that one for free.

No I don't buy anything from them tbh. I merely cited 4K Blurays in particular to clarify that, despite them obviously having some good prices, I'd still not buy from them.

HMV have had big problems with theft and most of them end up at places like CEX. 4K Bluray is such a new and expensive technology that it's currently restricted to enthusiasts and I can't really believe many of them are buying, watching then flogging their discs to the likes of CEX.

yeah especially 13 titles at one store there are 4/5 CEX's near me and everytime I look they never have any 4k's in.

Soldato
saw Leon /5th element 4k may arrive in July (no pre-order i could see), they ref'd a new hdtvtest video too
HDR Tone-Mapping Explained: Sony A1, LG C7 vs Panasonic OLED TV

a couple of points in regards to this video (admittedly from a relative novice at this level)

1) How do we know that the 65" LG is going to be as good as the 55" version he is using?
2) While he was talknig about the tone mapping of the shirt creases etc I couldnt help but notice the blatant difference in how the face was represented which he didnt even mention. Pana and Sony sets had the face really washed out and it didnt look right at all in comparison to the LG - once the pause had been evident on the Pana, as mentioned in the video this tones down after a while to avoid screen burn, the pana started to look much better in regards to the guys face.
3) I understand he purposefully changed the Sony settings just for test purposes and fair enough - but surely he should have had 20 s at the end with the Sony at its proper settings just to show what it would be like properly set up on the same scene, otherwise no one would buy the Sony after seeing that even if its based on purposfully bad settings
4) Was the sharper angle of the Sony to the camera making it look worse than it would normally be both in the movie and on the test signal? No one (I would hope) would set up a £5k tv sitting at such a sharp angle

(I thought of the three the Pana had much clearer background detail, but the lightning and the face itself looked much better on the LG)

Soldato
agree video posed more questions than answers for me ;)

How do we know that the 65" LG is going to be as good as the 55" version he is using?
since lg is sole oled manufacturer, and chipsets were same across each of flat/b6 and curved/c6(which had better lg chipset) - I think 65 will be faithful to 55

I couldnt help but notice the blatant difference in how the face was represented
yes really had to take his word , as he acknowledged, exposure had to be modified to render hdr for utube

3) I understand he purposefully changed the Sony settings just for test purposes and fair enough - but surely he should have had 20 s at the end with the Sony at its proper settings just
agree, and hdtvtest have no sony review either, where he explains how much sony can be improved.
he complemented sony on lack of posturization, but did not explain if sony genuinely have better s/w algorithms, or whether faithfully rendering hdr (and clipping >800nits) naturally avoided posturization.

also did not acknowledge what specific controls Pan or others may have to control tone mapping - why is it not like calibrating gamma.
I guess a good uhd player (pan ub900?) could also help anticipate/correct deficiencies of the oled tone mapping.

would be interesting to see how much dolby vision will help too, since presumably rendering for a limited 800nit oled can be encoded on disc.

he also said 2016 lg oled's are better than 2017, which was surprising ...
. their prices whilst still dropping not at my bite point £1350 b6/55"

Soldato
since lg is sole oled manufacturer, and chipsets were same across each of flat/b6 and curved/c6(which had better lg chipset) - I think 65 will be faithful to 55"

I know what you are saying and I am not necessarily disagreeing, but it also wouldn't be the 1st case of a 55" having a better all round image compared to a 65" with the same componants

also did not acknowledge what specific controls Pan or others may have to control tone mapping - why is it not like calibrating gamma.
Isnt the pana the one that has the professional look up tables (I think these were for tone mapping)? I think it was mentioned in AvF review and podcast

It would have been nice if he had mentioned this on the video though (or even say its Pana's X model that has pro look up tables which help with this or some such)

he also said 2016 lg oled's are better than 2017, which was surprising ...
. their prices whilst still dropping not at my bite point £1350 b6/55"

2016 models are indeed an option, but you have to be careful of what other advancements you miss out on (DV, HGR - if this is even an issue, number of HDMI 2.0+ sockets etc)

After watching this I actually watched his mini review of the short throw Sony laser projector.........really wish I hadn't watched it, £20k for a 100" screen from 6 inches (plus a reasonable screen) - reallllyyyyy want hahahaa

Associate
Hi
I am looking at getting a 4k player as i have a new 4k tv on its way.as always i have s budget of 280 and below.i have seen a few but was wondering if the one in xbox one s is any good?
Considering all the discs that it point blank refused to play, no. I still have mine for gaming, but for UHD playback, it was swiftly replaced by the Sony x800.

The 2017 Panasonic budget range looks attractive, just leave the LG player well alone.

Soldato
Considering all the discs that it point blank refused to play, no. I still have mine for gaming, but for UHD playback, it was swiftly replaced by the Sony x800.

The 2017 Panasonic budget range looks attractive, just leave the LG player well alone.
must have a duff unit, 30 odd UHD's not a problem yet.

Back
Top Bottom