• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Skylake-X Lineup Leaked: i9-7980XE 18 Core Flagship Processor

Soldato
SKL-X pricing...maybe true...maybe false...

6800K->7800X (?)
6850K($610)->7820X($499)
6900k($1000)->7900X($799)
6950X($1700)->7920X($1200)

https://hardforum.com/threads/upcom...rkstation-sweet-spot.1935130/#post-1043016256

If those prices are true then intel would be positioning themselves in the middle of Ryzen and Threadripper, which i'm not sure how wise that is. Surely the lower half is competing with Ryzen which has price on its side, while the upper half is competing with threadripper, which has core count (a.k.a better performance in multithreaded applications) . This is going to be an interesting price war.

Associate
7900x for 800$ that will be amazing

on 30th June we will know everything

Computex is between 30 May and 3 June so I'm not sure what you were referring to with 30 June?

If those prices are true then intel would be positioning themselves in the middle of Ryzen and Threadripper, which i'm not sure how wise that is. Surely the lower half is competing with Ryzen which has price on its side, while the upper half is competing with threadripper, which has core count (a.k.a better performance in multithreaded applications) . This is going to be an interesting price war.

We don't know any sort of performance, however I do expect SKL-X to be better than TR (high core count with low clocks isn't everything in MTA ;) ).

Associate
It's not good for me, as its missing a U.2 socket and the IO is a little on the weaker side.

Yeah weird seemingly no U.2. It's got 2 M.2 slots, sadly one is a vertical one and that's just terrible. The I/O is indeed a bit empty. Even a few more 3.1A slots would have been more than welcome. However, this board as is has everything I need so I'm good.

Soldato
We don't know any sort of performance, however I do expect SKL-X to be better than TR (high core count with low clocks isn't everything in MTA ;) ).

Turbo 3 is for single cores performance and turbo 2.0 scales with number of active cores. I don't see the 10 core or 12 core intel chip getting over 4.1~ GHZ on all cores without at the minimum an AIO and some overclocking (don't think turbo will be enough), potentially even a custom looop.
Threadripper is two 1800x fused/stiched together it probably has the same overclocking limitations, A.K.A 4 GHz being the limit.

However considering that these are aimed at professionals overclocking is not a high priority. It will be the base clock that is most important and going by the 7820k i don't think intel has much of an advantage. If memory serves me right at the same frequency ryzen has been shown to be better at multi threading than equivalent intel with the same core count.

To summarise I don't think the top range SKL-X will get past 4.1~ GHz without an all in one. It could potentially make it to 4.5/4.6 using a custom loop but that doesn't matter as these will be going into workstations. SKL and threadripper will probably have the around the same base clock speeds for a given core count. Therefore i think your statement is wrong, TR will be better than SKL-X in MTA (No point having higher clocks if you can't maintain it at full throttle ;)).

Side point: I think intels marketing is going to be based heavily on the turbo 3.0 figures, potentially to fool/mislead people who don't understand how turbo 3.0 works and may think that it will work for all cores. (It makes the most sense from a marketing stand point).

Associate
Intel X299 HEDT Platform Details

Intel-X299-HEDT-Skylake-X-Kaby-Lake-X-CPU-Platform.jpeg

http://wccftech.com/intel-x299-skylake-x-kaby-lake-x-z370-coffee-lake-s-z390-cannonlake-cpu-details/

Associate
I know how the different TBM work :)

Also, why would anyone put an unlocked chip in a workstation and don't OC it? Just get a Xeon then - unless you're price conscious, in which case I retract what I said here.

Soldato
The vast majority of i9 chips will never be overclocked. Most workstation will be Dell/HP and will have overclocking disabled. In general, Xeon’s are clocked lower out of the box so the desktop chips are faster even when not overclocked.

Soldato
Wow what a surprise Intel to launch all out attack on AMD Epyc and Threadripper with 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 and 18 cores Kaby Lake & Sky Lake X series HEDT CPUs to make sure AMD wont regain CPU marketshare. :eek:

It will be interesting read reviews.

RIP AMD.

Permabanned
Wow what a surprise Intel to launch all out attack on AMD Epyc and Threadripper with 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 and 18 cores Kaby Lake & Sky Lake X series HEDT CPUs to make sure AMD wont regain CPU marketshare. :eek:

It will be interesting read reviews.

RIP AMD.

AMD still win, grabbing lower to medium & high end market share with a best in class perf per $ offering and in some cases smashing Intel High end on the same price point (same as Ryzen)
Then AMD slot in another CCX module for MOAR cores at less than 1/3rd the production cost of the highest Intel offering.
And more lanes
And more memory
And far cheaper

Buh bye Intel. See you on 7nm in 18 months.

Soldato
OP
Surprisingly this was discussed back in February where reference to upcoming HEDT having more cores was mentioned but it was not clear at the time or it wasn't picked up upon. There was talk of upcoming HEDT having 18 cores but the info remained obscure.

https://www.eteknix.com/intel-introduces-prosumer-xeon-gold-workstation-cpus/

From various unconfirmed reports, Intel is set to launch a new Xeon Gold lineup. These new Xeon Gold CPUs are meant to offer higher core counts than the usual HEDT platform which peaks right now at 10 cores. Users who want more would have to pay a very hefty premium for the E5 and E7s server and workstation class chips. However, there may be many prosumers who simply want a lot of cores without all of the expensive validation and enterprise features. This is where Xeon Gold comes in.

The first chip is the new Xeon Gold 6150 featuring 18 CPU cores, with HyperThreading for a total of 36 logical CPUs. L2 cache comes in at a hefty 1MB per core for 18MB and L3 is 24.75MB. Clock speeds are reported as 2.7 GHz base and 3.7 GHz boost. Of course, we have quad channel DDR4 memory as well. While it falls short of the top end E7 v4 chips which have 24 cores, it is a substantial upgrade over the HEDT platform. I also expect it will have many enterprise features like extra QPI links to be disabled as well as limited to single socket platforms. It will be interesting to see if this rumour turns out to be true and who would need such a CPU.

Now if we go back to the latest slide it mentions TDPs of 165W & 140W for these Skylake-X cpus.

Also we have the leaked Skylake-SP Xeon Platinum and Gold list.

https://hardforum.com/threads/intel-xeon-gold-xeon-platinum-skylake-sp-lineup-leaked.1928015/

Notice that from the list Xeon Gold 6150 is the only 18 core which has TDP of 165W.

This leads me to believe that the Core i9-7980XE is Xeon Gold 6150 repurposed for the X299 platform on MCC die.

Last edited:
Soldato
AMD still win, grabbing lower to medium & high end market share with a best in class perf per $ offering and in some cases smashing Intel High end on the same price point (same as Ryzen)
Then AMD slot in another CCX module for MOAR cores at less than 1/3rd the production cost of the highest Intel offering.
And more lanes
And more memory
And far cheaper

Buh bye Intel. See you on 7nm in 18 months.

Do you have figures for this market share grabbing you say AMD has achieved?

Back
Top Bottom