Worth going from 60 Hz IPS to 165 Hz TN?

Associate
I currently have an AOC Q2577PWQ 1440p 60 Hz IPS monitor.

I am looking for a 1440p high refresh rate monitor.

I have a NVIDIA GPU, so I believe FreeSync is out (as I believe it doesn't work with NVIDIA GPUs).

The cheapest 1440p high refresh G-Sync TN monitor is £390 (AOC Agon AG241QG, 24", 165 Hz).

The cheapest 1440p high refresh G-Sync IPS monitor is £560 (AOC Agon AG271QG 27", 165 Hz).

How much worse is a TN panel for image quality?

Last edited:
Soldato
this is down to preference

to me I see no benefit going over 60hz refresh rate, but then again I dont play twitch shooters, I just play role playing games, strategy games, watch movies, do work on my display. For all that 60hz is more then adequate.

Whilst also I really hate TN screens, you only need to turn your head slightly and your off angle getting colour shift. You have to perfectly straight on with the viewing angle.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
this is down to preference

to me I see no benefit going over 60hz refresh rate, but then again I dont play twitch shooters, I just play role playing games, strategy games, watch movies, do work on my display. For all that 60hz is more then adequate.

Whilst also I really hate TN screens, you only need to turn your head slightly and your off angle getting colour shift. You have to perfectly straight on with the viewing angle.
1+

Soldato
I went from a 60hz 1440p va panel to a 1440p 144hz ips/gsync & to be perfectly honest it wasn't a massive leap in quality or gaming experience.

Thinking I should have saved up & gone the 4k route.

Soldato
To me going 60hz tn to 144hz tn was a massive leap and instantly blew me away. I've had 4k and it was more of an impact to me than 1080-4k. One of the things even now I miss about my pg348q is the lost 44hz. It helps and is noticeable in a lot of games even rpg games like the witcher 3 feels a lot smoother even with a controller.

Its all about the user as to me tn-ips doesn't bother me at all and the one time i tried the IPS 27" swift i couldn't really notice much difference and actually preferred the TN.

I guess the ability to keep and hit the top 144hz makes the difference aswell with or without G-sync.

Thug
Soldato
I went from a 60hz 1440p va panel to a 1440p 144hz ips/gsync & to be perfectly honest it wasn't a massive leap in quality or gaming experience.

Thinking I should have saved up & gone the 4k route.

This to be honest. Except ive been 4k as well. Frankly what is missing is the quality, black levels etc

Back
Top Bottom