Is Islam compatible with atheism/lack of belief ?

Associate
It's not about what's right or wrong. All Muslims believe in an all Islamic world.
its nothing to do with God. It's a political movement to work by Stealth. that's why they have multiple children from multiple 'wives'.

Soldato
Also fundamental Islam has largely been repressed (sometimes forcefully) in Egypt - unlike some parts of the ME it has long been regarded as regressive in that country.
Except recently of course, where they peacefully blow up airliners and attacks the Christian Coptic Church regularly murdering hundreds of them.
Most recently at the start of the Holy Month of Ramadan, almost to celebrate by a few murders. Past few days.
One doesn't need to fast if practicing Jihad!

Associate
Can you think of a successful religious country that you would want to live in that is better than the country where you currently reside?

I can't.

Religion is not compatible with a free society which is successful, just and endeavours to keep the people's best interests at its core.

No belief in god or gods is the default. It is rational.

Suspending rational thought is dangerous.

Caporegime
That is a poor analogy - the thread doesn't ask how does Islam compare but rather whether Islam is compatible with atheism. No I'm not suggesting that we debate things in a vacuum but I am suggesting that you've got a habit of continually deflecting to criticise other religions wherever some criticism of Islam is brought up.

Pray tell me where I'm criticising other religions? ;)

Honestly I'm happy to debate points but i'm just going to ignore posts by you if you spend your time insisting any comment that isn't negative about islam and/or using comparisons and analogues is deflection. It's pointless, it's boring and it takes things way off topic.

That's especially true in threads like this where things that are prevalent throughout society as a whole are brought up as prime examples of why a specific religion is "incompatible" with said society.

Soldato
Pray tell me where I'm criticising other religions? ;)

Honestly I'm happy to debate points but i'm just going to ignore posts by you if you spend your time insisting any comment that isn't negative about islam and/or using comparisons and analogues is deflection. It's pointless, it's boring and it takes things way off topic.

That's especially true in threads like this where things that are prevalent throughout society as a whole are brought up as prime examples of why a specific religion is "incompatible" with said society.

What is the more important document, the quran, or (if in the US) the constitution, or the UK legal system?

Caporegime
Muslims tend to behead non-muslims. Sikhs and Hindus slaughtered to 100 million since Islamic Mogul invasion of India.
My forefathers died for my freedom. I'm so proud to be a Sikh.

Honestly it's posts like yours that are prime examples showing the this "issue" extends way beyond those that follow a single religion. There seems to be a deep hatred of muslims by a fair number of Sikhs because of things that happened hundreds of years in the past.

We need to be looking to the future, not living in the past - and that's not just for this issue, but a multitude of other things that are happening at the moment.

Caporegime
What is the more important document, the quran, or (if in the US) the constitution, or the UK legal system?

The legal system in place in the location you are in. What's your point?

I assume it's going to be some kind of wholesale gross generalisation about muslims believing the koran is more important?

Soldato
The legal system in place in the location you are in. What's your point?

I assume it's going to be some kind of wholesale gross generalisation about muslims believing the koran is more important?

So you're saying the quran becomes second place. So you ignore the parts of the quran such as 6:114 becomes second place to the UK/USA?

Soldato
Sorry, what?
Shall I seek other than GOD as a source of law, when He has revealed to you this book fully detailed? Those who received the scripture recognize that it has been revealed from your Lord, truthfully. You shall not harbor any doubt.

So what's it to be, your god, or a countries own law which overrides your god?

Caporegime
Shall I seek other than GOD as a source of law, when He has revealed to you this book fully detailed? Those who received the scripture recognize that it has been revealed from your Lord, truthfully. You shall not harbor any doubt.

So what's it to be, your god, or a countries own law which overrides your god?

So:

Was pretty accurate.

So you're saying because it's written in a book it means people will always follow it and it will be completely obeyed by all those that follow that religion?

If you insist on quoting scripture as some kind of panacea then how about:

http://en.islamtoday.net/node/604

Shock horror as a religious book is contradictory and relies on people deciding which parts of it to follow depending on their own opinions and interpretations. Sounds like every other religion, ideology and collective.

Last edited:
Associate
So you're saying because it's written in a book it means people will always follow it and it will be completely obeyed by all those that follow that religion?
The important point to realise here is that people will continue to believe parts of their scripture despite having been proven to be false in every demonstrable, observable and testable way possible. Ok, not every person believes every single part of their holy book, but that is positive progression towards no person believing any part of any holy book.

If you insist on quoting scripture as some kind of panacea then how about:

http://en.islamtoday.net/node/604

Shock horror as a religious book is contradictory and relies on people deciding which parts of it to follow depending on their own opinions and interpretations. Sounds like every other religion, ideology and collective.
The Quran? You must have missed the bit where it is claimed to be the literal and unalterable word of God, there is no contradiction in it, and that it contains no known scientific errors. How can any reformation of Islam take place if it is so blatantly hostile to truth, evidence, logic and reason?

Man of Honour
[..] So you're saying because it's written in a book it means people will always follow it and it will be completely obeyed by all those that follow that religion?

That is really rather the point for people who believe in a god and believe that the book is the word of that god. Which is what Muslims are supposed to believe. Even orthodox Jews get more wiggle room in that respect.

Sure, most theists take a pick 'n' mix approach to their own religion even though they're not supposed to. Any decent person has to with the Abrahamic religions in particular because those religions contain vile things that no decent person could tolerate. But theists aren't supposed to ignore bits of their own religion that they don't like, Muslims even more so than Jews and Christians.

Caporegime
The important point to realise here is that people will continue to believe parts of their scripture despite having been proven to be false in every demonstrable, observable and testable way possible. Ok, not every person believes every single part of their holy book, but that is positive progression towards no person believing any part of any holy book.

So you're advocating that religion in general isn't compatible with atheism/lack of belief and western society in general?

The Quran? You must have missed the bit where it is claimed to be the literal and unalterable word of God, there is no contradiction in it, and that it contains no known scientific errors. How can any reformation of Islam take place if it is so blatantly hostile to truth, evidence, logic and reason?

In which case to go back to hornetstringers question - if there are no contradictions the Quran says Muslims need to adhere to the laws of the land they live in. So what's the issue? How is Islam not compatible with the west and an atheist/agnostic state when they have been specifically told by god to adhere to the laws of that country. So thread closed, answer provided.;)

Or perhaps it's all about interpretation after all.

That is really rather the point for people who believe in a god and believe that the book is the word of that god. Which is what Muslims are supposed to believe. Even orthodox Jews get more wiggle room in that respect.

Sure, most theists take a pick 'n' mix approach to their own religion even though they're not supposed to. Any decent person has to with the Abrahamic religions in particular because those religions contain vile things that no decent person could tolerate. But theists aren't supposed to ignore bits of their own religion that they don't like, Muslims even more so than Jews and Christians.

They aren't "supposed to", but it's clearly evident that people do, all the time. Largely it'll be based on the moral and cultural upbringing they had, hence why people born and raised in the west (whether they be Muslim or other) are by and large significantly more liberal than people born and raised elsewhere.

Soldato
Ahh yes- this old argument again.

According to a 2010 study and released January 2011, Islam has 1,5 billion adherents, making up over 22% of the world population.
If Islam was a religion of mass murder and suicide bombers and killing all infedels then im sure they would have done that by now.

Lets just get things in persepective.....How many out of that 1.5 billion have blown themselves up...?

Soldato
No it's not compatible with Atheism....or Christianity, Or Judaism, Or Hinduism, Or Sikhism, Or Buddhism, Or Zoroastrianism, islam is especially not compatible with western civilization/society.

Ahh yes- this old argument again.

According to a 2010 study and released January 2011, Islam has 1,5 billion adherents, making up over 22% of the world population.
If Islam was a religion of mass murder and suicide bombers and killing all infedels then im sure they would have done that by now.

Lets just get things in persepective.....How many out of that 1.5 billion have blown themselves up...?

Well over the last 1400 years muslims have killed over 600 million people for not being muslim, 300+ million of those being Indian Hindus when the muslim mughals invaded India from 1000AD to 1500AD, And the death toll rises daily all over the world.

And before anyone cries "but dem crusades" the crusades were in answer to 400 years of islamic invasions of Christian countries which seems to be happening again.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well over the last 1400 years muslims have killed over 600 million people for not being muslim, 300+ million of those being Indian Hindus when the muslim mughals invaded India from 1000AD to 1500AD, And the death toll rises daily all over the world.

And before anyone cries "but dem crusades" the crusades were in answer to 400 years of islamic invasions of Christian countries which seems to be happening again.

Your really clutching on straws quoting past history.

The Christians were hanging blacks and Jews up till the 1900s at Clifford's Tower in York.

How many black people did Christians kill over the last 1400 years?

How many Jews have been slaughtered by the Christians over the last 1400 years?

Those Muslim crusades are happening again?? Are you deluded??
Last time I checked the news the Christians were invading Muslim lands...remember Afghanistan & Iraq & Libya. And who armed the so called rebels in Syria......

Back
Top Bottom