• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA Volta with GDDR6 in early 2018?

Associate
The 2080ti and Tian Volta will use a 384bit interface though, Hynix talked about 768Gbps

Oh sure, maybe even HBM2 or HBM3 depending what the price and power situation is like by the time the 2080Ti comes out.

But the 2080 non-Ti should be faster than the TitanXp, so I wonder whether 448 GB/s is really enough for something faster than that.

Caporegime
The 1080 has 320GB/s so 448GB/s is a decent increase. There is also the possibility that Nvidia moves the GV104 to also have a 384b interface. Depending on capacity this would give the 12080 12GB vram . The titan Volta might not be able to offer a greater capacity though.

Soldato
All Sony and Microsoft have to do for they're next consoles is give the games mouse and keyboard support. If the Scorpio and PS5 or whatever it will be called can really run native 4k 60 at a cost of about £500 - £600 then mid-range and below for PC gaming is dead. Especially now that top end cards are so ridiculously priced. I have already said to my lad that the days of his free upgrades are numbered as I will be going Scorpio if they can pull off the 4k 60FPS with KB & Mouse support. My current PC will be fine for internet etc.... and the crazy thing is....WE are to blame for it all for buying overpriced cards. :(

To me its a myth console gaming is cheaper.

Few things that make PC so much more economical.

Backward compatibility going back decades. Doing same thing on consoles needs you to own multiple generations of consoles which take up space, needing own proprietary controllers etc.
Compatibility with different displays and speakers out of the box, had to buy special cables for ps3 and xbox360 to output to my monitor and pc speakers, ps4 is more of a challenge due to lack of analogue out.
Needing new controllers and accessories every new console generation, costs ££££
Online gaming requires a subscription.
More expensive games.
When you upgrade a console you upgrading the entire unit, whilst with a PC its just one component. My net cost going from my 760 to 970 was actually a profit, net cost of 970 to 1070 was about £150. Net cost of PS3 to PS4 was £350. As I couldnt sell my PS3 since I still like to play my PS3 games and PS4 cannot play PS3 games.
What consoles had going for them was the 5-8 year lifespan between generations, however it seems thats now history, PS5 rumoured in 2018 only 2 years after the PS4 pro.
The second thing they had going was exclusives, but this generation every game I have wanted to play has been released on the PC except bloodbourne and horizon zero dawn. I think microsoft have no console exclusives at all as all there stuff is now been released on windows 10 as well.
Not to mention on a console is if poor performance you stuck with it, on a PC you can usually resolve it by either mods or jacking down the settings.

Caporegime
Last edited:
Soldato

The issue you have it the majority is happy with average, and no matter how you look at it, buying an Xbox One S for £199, and plugging it into a TV you already own, is hella cheaper than buying a PC, a monitor, and all of the games. Even if the games are more expensive on average, they hold the price and you can trade and swap them, you can't really do that now with PC's, so not a real saving. As for the online gaming subscription, I'd hardly call £3-4 a month expensive.

All the other things that go for them, they take up a lot less room, are easier to move between rooms if you want to game elsewhere not just in one spot. Multiplayer is much, much easier in the same place, the lifespan of a console means the cost over time is very cheap for the hardware, even if it lasts 3 years, that's less than £100 a year, you can't even get a decent graphics card for that.

No, I don't play consoles only the Wii U, but you cannot argue that the majority are more than happy with average, and cheaper and more convenient consoles. :)

Soldato
A lot of people just haven't tried PC gaming. In a world where everyone(or many) want the latest greatest of everything (phone, TV, new car) and get into debt to obtain them, if more people tried PC gaming they'd probably want to drop their consoles as soon as they could.
A lot of people happy with average until they try the best :).
I left my nephew with my PC recently and when we (his dad and I) caught up with him he immediately said "can we get a PC dad"

V F

V F

Soldato
A lot of people just haven't tried PC gaming. In a world where everyone(or many) want the latest greatest of everything (phone, TV, new car) and get into debt to obtain them, if more people tried PC gaming they'd probably want to drop their consoles as soon as they could.
A lot of people happy with average until they try the best :).
I left my nephew with my PC recently and when we (his dad and I) caught up with him he immediately said "can we get a PC dad"

I was there once when I was PC only but then there were nice exclusives only on the console that I kept hearing about. No Uncharted series or The Last of Us on the PC and no Horizon Zero Dawn. Let alone Metal Gear Solid 4. Owning Console and PC. :thumbsup:

Permabanned
To me its a myth console gaming is cheaper.

It won't be a myth if Microsoft get their way, Have you seen the cost of new PC titles in the Win store lately?
I've noticed Origin and U-play are just as bad lately charging as much as 80 quid for a game with it's season pass.
At this rate we'll be looking at 100 pounds a game not that far down the road.
A lot of the savings on key code sites has disappeared too.

I was there once when I was PC only but then there were nice exclusives only on the console that I kept hearing about. No Uncharted series or The Last of Us on the PC and no Horizon Zero Dawn. Let alone Metal Gear Solid 4. Owning Console and PC. :thumbsup:

I've subscribed to Playstation Now so I can try titles I've never played like Red Dead Redemption, The Last of us and Unchartered 3 on my PC to see if I like them enough to buy a Playstation for the sequels, I've started The Last of Us and it plays and looks fine, It's streaming at 720p and uses the X-box for windows controller, For 12:99 a month I think it's worth doing for a few months

Last edited:
Associate
You cant print from a console, write a word document e.t.c. occasionally i need to do these things so would require at least a cheap laptop if I was only a console gamer, add price of console and laptop and you got a reasonable pc, when you add up that most games I buy after being out for a couple of months are half as much (reliable and legit cd key site), it's a no brainer and now that they release an improved console version every few years the appeal is now lost. With pc streaming now, I can play games with controller in front of a big screen @ 4k or at a desktop with k+m and not have to rely on auto aim. I can live without the couple of good PS4 exclusives that get launched for that gen to have an all rounder that does most things better imo. I still occasionaly play games that are over 10 years old from the original Xbox era that I don't have to buy a remastered version every gen (PS4) or wait for a backward compatibility update.

V F

V F

Soldato
It won't be a myth if Microsoft get their way, Have you seen the cost of new PC titles in the Win store lately?
I've noticed Origin and U-play are just as bad lately charging as much as 80 quid for a game with it's season pass.
At this rate we'll be looking at 100 pounds a game not that far down the road.
A lot of the savings on key code sites has disappeared too.

I remember once new top titles were a maximum of £26.99 or at least the shops I bought them before DLC and collectors editions were a thing.

Funny since fully downloadable games with no physical items it costs so much more than the physical copy.

Soldato
I remember once new top titles were a maximum of £26.99 or at least the shops I bought them before DLC and collectors editions were a thing.

Funny since fully downloadable games with no physical items it costs so much more than the physical copy.

I remember getting around half mt new titles on release from play.com @ only £17.99 £23-25 at most. They where the days

Man of Honour

I wouldn't mind paying £80 for a game if it was put together with a real passion and pride for what they were doing, creating something that was an engaging experience with maybe modding, etc. potential that kept it going for a year or two, etc. but so many games are just slapped together almost production line development these days :(

V F

V F

Soldato
I wouldn't mind paying £80 for a game if it was put together with a real passion and pride for what they were doing, creating something that was an engaging experience with maybe modding, etc. potential that kept it going for a year or two, etc. but so many games are just slapped together almost production line development these days :(

Naughty Dog type of games where everything was squeezed out of every last bit of code on the hardware...

Soldato
Xbox One is now pretty much backwards compatible with most Xbox 360 games, and most older games actually run better.

Things have moved on. PS4 Pro and Xbox One S both support HDMI 2.0 and the Xbox Scorpio will have support for HDMI 2.1 with Freesync!

Some games such as Final Fantasy XV let you chose between a 1080p 'lite' mode or a 1800p pro mode with less consistent performance.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-project-scorpio-supports-freesync-and-hdmi-vrr

Definitely not most games, e.g. none of my xbox360 games are on the list and I own over 30 games. They have targeted (understandably) the biggest AAA titles mostly which may give an impression of "most games" if they the only games you have played.

Also what about original xbox games?

Also I use vga input for my xbox360, none of the new consoles support that. To use DVI you also need to buy a hdmi to dvi convertor.

If you curious here is my monitor port allocation, for 2 monitors.

benq 1440p, dvi - PC, hdmi - PS4, vga - xbox360, displayport - unused due to buggyness.
asus 22" ips - hdmi - shared between pfsense and phone (MHL), vga second screen for laptop, dvi - PS3 via convertor.

If all my consoles were hdmi only I would have a big problem :)

Associate
they already said destiny 2 on Xbox Scorpio/ps4 pro is going to be 30fps, I doubt Scorpio is going to manage 60fps in every game, it's still stuck on jaguar cores from a decade ago.

the Xbox makes the least sense as a console now, it no longer has console exclusives since they're all on pc, I own a ps4 just for bloodborne and horizon zero dawn, oh and last of us.

but that's it, 30fps (even less) at 720/1080p just feels bad, look at all the issues FFXV had with frame pacing, and bloodborne for that matter too. you're stuck with whatever they give you, if the game runs like **** you can't turn a setting down, or download a mod that fixes it etc.

I mean Skyrim on console and pc are literially two different games, there's the unofficial patch on pc with something ridiculous like over 1k lines of dialogue fixed, geometry issues fixed, hundreds of bugs etc that the consoles never get.

I can see why consoles are appealing, but the way they tout them as 'ultimate gaming machines' is fairly laughable to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom