York Dining Questions

Soldato
I'm heading off on holiday to York next Monday. I've been enough times now that I already have a good idea where most of the best places to eat are. I do have a few questions though that any York locals might know the answers to.

1. Is there anywhere in York I can get bubble tea? I tried looking for it online, but I can't seem to find anywhere, apart from one bubble tea shop which now appears to be closed.

2. Would you recommend any places that do good tasting menus? Its something I've never had the chance to experience before and I'd really like to give it a go. Price isn't an issue. Its a holiday and a rare treat, so I'm willing to splash out if the quality is good.

Soldato
OP
Thank you! How about the ones at The Grand Hotel or Melton's?

Do you think I'd be able to just turn up on the night and get a table? Or would I have to book in advance to have a chance? And do any of these places have a dress code? I always feel so working class going to places like that. The idea of them looking at me in jeans and t-shirt and then telling me to bugger off makes me cringe :S

beh

beh

Associate
Cochon and The Park are both ~casual. You'd need to book ahead, particularly for the former as they've had lots of publicity recently with the chef being on GBM.

I imagine The Grand Hotel would be decent if they do one but I expect you're likely to encounter a smarter dress code there.

Soldato
OP
Probably. Based on your advise, I have booked myself a table at Le Cochon Aveugle for Tuesday at 6pm (the only dining time that was available that night! Not that I might eating early)

I've also sent a booking request to The Park for Thursday at 7pm, which is my birthday. Would be a nice treat for the day. Fingers crossed I get the table confirmed. I've also packed a pair of trousers and one of my coloured work shirts to wear. That's smart casual enough I'd assume.

Kinda wish I was going for more than 4 nights now. So many places to dine, so little time.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thank you. Seems to be generally positive reviews on TripAdvisor! Nice looking menu too. Might see if I can get a table for Wednesday night there. Or I might even just pop in for brunch.

beh

beh

Associate
I've also packed a pair of trousers and one of my coloured work shirts to wear. That's smart casual enough I'd assume.
Aye, a lot places will say "whatever you feel comfortable in" but would still prefer that people not turn up in shorts and flipflops, ripped jeans or garish sportswear.

So many places on Fossgate like Cosy Club mentioned, just have a stroll along and see what you like the look of.

Soldato
OP
Yeah. I know Blue Bicycle is there. And I see there's a place called Oshibi Korean Bistro there too. Is that any good?

EDIT: Just booked a table at a place called Skosh on Micklegate. It has a lot of really good reviews and its menu seems interesting. Getting a table at dinner time for next week was pretty much a no go unless I wanted to dine at 9.15pm! So I'm going for lunch instead on Wednesday.

EDIT 2: And The Park just got back to me confirming my reservation for Thursday at 7pm :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom