Advice on negotiating salary for internal position

Man of Honour
On Friday afternoon I was offered a promotion by my current employer. The salary on offer is marginally less than I had been hoping for and I would like to push this up so that I don't end up with a feeling of resentment about being underpaid given the additional responsibilities etc. As yet we have not discussed salary (as although the position was offered verbally, the salary offer came in writing) so I have not had an opportunity to state my case as yet. I suspect this may in part have been a deliberate ploy to try and avoid entering into a negotiation with me on the hope that I'd just accept the offer.

What I'd like to do is try and catch the hiring manager first thing on Tuesday and present my case, but I want to avoid this coming across as just a punt to try and get more money (and also give the impression that my desire for the new job is solely motivated by money). It's one of those awkward situations where the know my current salary so the alternative of accepting the offer would be no promotion, no wage increase and presumably becoming a 'marked man' that will be overlooked for future opportunities due to my perceived focus on money rather than career development. If I ask myself the question "what would I do if they won't budge" there isn't a clear answer; the salary increase is just about enough to make me interested but equally my current position has a much shorter notice period so I could consider staying put and then jumping ship to another employer, rather than locking myself into a job where I feel undervalued and essentially block myself from having the option to go contracting.

Realistically because I am already paid a fair wage for my current role I don't think there can be a massive amount of leeway but that said in the grand scheme of things an extra couple of grand a year shouldn't matter that much especially with a that basically being covered by a year's inflation.

Unfortunately this particular role isn't that easy to benchmark against market rates (compared to my current and previous roles), as it has a somewhat rare and uninspiring job title. Additionally within my field of work technical skills tend to be valued fairly highly so it isn't a case of 'manager should earn xx% more than subordinates innit' either.

How have / would you approach this type of scenario?

Caporegime
I'd ask them for more... simple as that tbh.. you've already laid out for them why you think you should have the roles, the value you'll bring to it etc.. during the interview process. They've presented you with a figure, you want more, ask for it.

I think you ought to be looking at other roles whenever you're considering a move, so IMO you ought to have been interviewing externally too. I don't think it is necessarily a good idea to use threats with the company you're currently employed by so unlike when comparing two external moves I would be hesitant about playing an external offer against your current employer. I do however think it is especially useful for you to know both what you're currently worth in the wider market for similar roles and how easily you could land one of those roles. You're then in a much better position to know whether the offer your employer made is reasonable and whether you should push for more or potentially not accept it and move elsewhere.

Man of Honour
OP
I considered it but there wasn't much option for interviewing elsewhere as the job was posted whilst I was OOO, with the closing date for internal applications the day after I returned. It's proven difficult to identify many comparable positions at other organisations as most of them with similar titles have less responsibility (and pay less). To be honest I don't think I'd take an equivalent role at another organisation anyway unless they were paying significantly more, as I like the way my current employer treats and develops staff in general and would lose length of service benefits, share options etc.

On the flip side if I put myself in their shoes i.e. looking at what candidates are out there rather than what alternative jobs, I think they would struggle to find an external candidate of my calibre for less money than I will be asking for, and I am a trustworthy 'known quantity' with good knowledge of our organisation rather than the risks associated with a newcomer.

Essentially I want to avoid a repeat of what happened at a previous employer where I made a move into a new role for a modest salary increase on the basis that it was to be reviewed once I had passed my probationary period, and then spent a good year or so resenting the fact that I was underpaid.

Soldato
Be direct and importantly do not be embarrassed to be direct when it comes to negotiating commercial matters. Do not feel you have to compromise either and do not feel you have to rationalise their pay decision in your own mind to make yourself feel better.

If you think the market value of the role is worth x present that case.

If during this process you feel that you have to unreasonably justify every last pence of pay the role is worth; then you know going forward it will always be hard work to get paid what you feel you are worth. This will always put you on the back foot when it comes to negotiating with them. Even if you negotiate a conditional increase with a target based future increase or retainer.

The choice is then you 1) either accept that position and compromise yourself, 2) look for another role outside the business to use as leverage, 3) look for another role outside the business to move to regardless and 4) call their bluff on 3 without doing it.

Permabanned
As stated be blunt and direct when you have the conversation... Never babble and say more than you need to. Put the ball firmly in their court, sit back, and listen.

Something like:

"I recieved your offer in the post. (long pause) While I am excited about embracing this new challenge, the increase in remuneration is below my expaectation based on the added responsibility of the role. (brief pause) Would you be prepared to increase your offer?" (don't say a word after this.. just wait)

OK so that was a bit babbly but you get the idea ;)

Soldato
as above never be embarrassed to ask for more money managers are used to it and the worst you will get (as long as your are polite and sensible) is a sorry what we have offered is all we have.

Soldato
Draw up an email thanking them for the offer but state your case why you should get more and mention what ever the "going rate" would be for this role. That way you can get your message over officially without someone fobbing you off. Then at least you can chose to take it or not. Traditionally there is some invisible cap that HR employ to keep increases to a minimum.

Back
Top Bottom